Chicago Boating - where to keep the boat?

stephentyler20

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all... sold my old cuddy cabin when I moved to Chicago last year. Spent the summer here, living a half mile from the lake on the north side, and I was literally obsessed with getting on the water ALL summer.

So I want to get another boat. I know what boat I want - a particular 20' ski boat. Now, I know Lake Michigan can get pretty rough, and that's fine. My goal is to be able to get out there when the weather is appropriate. I often have days off in the middle of the week to get out when there are fewer boaters. And I can trailer to other spots in the area.

Big question is, WHERE do I keep the boat? I'm not going to drop $2000+ on a slip. Pretty ridiculous when I may only get a handful of times on the water. What I'd really like to do is keep it on the trailer and launch when I feel like it.

Any thoughts on where I could keep the boat/trailer to make this happen? Do any of the harbors have trailer storage areas during the summer? Perhaps I could find an outdoor lot somewhere. My condo has a garage, but no way I could easily get the trailer down the alley and backed in, it would be far too tight.

The other option I'm considering is doing one of these power boat share programs, where I just lease time on a boat that's already docked. Probably cheaper and could be fun, but I don't know. Any thoughts on that?

Appreciate any suggestions!

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Chicago Boating - where to keep the boat?

I'm out by the Chain O Lakes and Fox river so I can't help with where to store your boat in the city. Can I ask you a question, where can you launch a boat on the North branch Chicago river?