Delaware River near New Hope?

superbenk

Commander
Anyone know how navigable the Delaware River is near New Hope? Is it usable for small run-abouts (I have a 20' bowrider)? Are there any ramps near New Hope?

Considering a job opportunity in New Hope and would love to be able to drop the boat in the water before/after work since the office would be right next to the water.

CJ River Rider

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Delaware River near New Hope?

There is a ramp across the river in Lambertville. It used to be free but you need a permit (between Memorial Day & Labor Day) now which also includes Bulls Island and the other D&R Canal State Park Ramps plus Lake Hopatcong and 2 others further south. The ramp(and park) are accessible through the Lambertville Station restaurant parking lot right over the bridge coming from PA. You really can't go far at this spot, you have the rocks & rapids immediately south and I hear you can only go a little further north depending on water levels. I put in here once on the jet-ski, putzed around and then pulled the ski & went down to Trenton. Bulls Island and the Byram ramp up river are the same, small riding areas in the deeper sections. If all you are going to do is fish or hang out, these 2 areas are really pretty. When the river is high in the spring, I've taken the ski through the wing dam between Bulls Island & Byram but I don't think I would do it with my 16' bow rider and outboard.

If you want to do some real boating, the Trenton ramp is 20 minutes south and from there you have the whole Delaware south to the bay and ocean.

superbenk

Commander
Re: Delaware River near New Hope?

Thanks! That's about what I figured. I see there's a small pontoon tour boat on the satellite view on Google Maps so there must be some navigable water there, but as you said it doesn't look like much. Trenton is probably the better option. Still way closer than the 45-60 minute drive from my last job.