Winnipesaukee tips and tricks

?ommon?ents_

Cadet
Planning on a week on lake winni next summer. Gonna be staying on cow is. Just outside of nineteen mile bay. Where is the best sand bar for kids? Best early morning fishing? Places to avoid?

agallant80

Commander
Re: Winnipesaukee tips and tricks

I dont know the best sand bar or anything like that. Im from NH and I can tell you its a zoo. It got so bad they had to put up a speed limmit . Keep a good watch on whats going on, dont drink they heavly enforce and patrol for dwi and be extra safe. Lots of idiots that take the boat out once or twice a year. They have no clue.

?ommon?ents_

Cadet

My boat is good for maybe 40mph...speed limit shouldn't bother me all that much. I'd heard that the speed limit is due to big money off shore boats routinely pushing triple digits in the broads. Don't know if that's the whole truth but I've seen some excessive speeders while on the mt. Washington. Lake is big, but not big enough for 100 plus

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

I dont know the best sand bar or anything like that. Im from NH and I can tell you its a zoo. It got so bad they had to put up a speed limmit . Keep a good watch on whats going on, dont drink they heavly enforce and patrol for dwi and be extra safe. Lots of idiots that take the boat out once or twice a year. They have no clue.

I totally disagree. It is NOT a zoo and the speed limit has nothing to do with safety, it was enacted under the premise of safety but it's really a snob law to get fast boats and the people that operate them off the lake. The lake does have crowded spots, but they are clustered around Weirs Beach/Governor's Island as it's a natural choke point between a large concentration of boats and restaurants on one side and the majority of the lake on the other. The rest of the lake is mellow, especially around Cow Island. Sure, there's occasional bone heads out there, but the vast majority of boater know and follow the rules. I would avoid Weirs Beach on a weekend, but be sure to go there during the week. A lunch at Naswa is fun and worth the trip through the channel.

The best sandbar for little kids is the northwest end of Braun Bay. Don't bother showing up late on a weekend though, it will be crowded. It's fantastic during the week. Make sure you have two anchors and know how to set them well. Two anchors are the norm at any Winnipesaukee sand bar.

Early morning fish spots will depend on what you want to catch. Lake trout and Salmon fishermen tend to like trolling deep in the area between Moose/Ship Islands, Alton Bay and Wolfeboro. The whole Moultonboro Bay area north of your base camp is loaded with structure and weed beds and is very popular for bass fishing. It's also pretty challenging to navigate, especially when the sun is low on the horizon and the markers are hard to spot. Be careful, but do not miss out on exploring the whole area all the way to Lee Mills and Green's Basin, it's gorgeous and interesting.

Plan to go through the Hole in the Wall (it's the northwest end of Cow Island) and Sally's Gut (the northwest end of Stonedam Island). Kids love that stuff. If the kids like to snorkel, take them to the wreck of the Belknap (a 96 foot steam boat that sank in 1842). It's basically due east of the south end of the foot bridge to Steamboat Island, quite near shore. The water there is crystal clear and the remains of the boat are easy to see.

agallant80

Commander

I guess they raised it to 55 during day and 30 at night which just enforces my point of idiots out there. Why in the world would anyone be doing 30 at night? As for "snob factor" perhaps. I don't like your stupid fast boat or your loud motorcycle. Get it away from me.

?ommon?ents_

Cadet

Hey mischief, thank you so much for that very thought out answer. my wife and I plan in doing a couple "scouting missions" prior to this trip. We will definitely check out your tips!

I want to add there are idiots everywhere, especially when things with engines are involved. I for one try my best to stay safely away from them.

I can't wait for this trip, hopefully not see my truck till I'm pulling my boat out a week later! Knock on wood....

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

I guess they raised it to 55 during day and 30 at night which just enforces my point of idiots out there. Why in the world would anyone be doing 30 at night? As for "snob factor" perhaps. I don't like your stupid fast boat or your loud motorcycle. Get it away from me.

Still 45 during the day, but 30 at night. I go 30 at night all the time, but it was my own upper night time limit even before the speed limit. There's very little light pollution up there and if the moon is out, the night visibility is excellent. Night time is the only time I ever see Marine Patrol measuring speed. They tie up to docks near choke points and run LIDAR with their lights extinguished.

The law came about because Dan Littlefield left Meredith town docks one night in a go fast boat (in a what most believe was a drunken state), in 2002 and drove over the back of another boat at a speed of 28 MPH, killing a passenger named John Hartman. Dan left the scene, then turned himself in the next day, successfully avoiding a BUI conviction (but not a negligent homicide conviction). The anti-go-fast-boat people seized the opportunity to push the speed limit through the state legislature using the tragic accident as an example of the horrors of go fast boats. Not enough people saw the irony of the fact that Littlefield was going 2 MPH less than the speed limit allows and already broke many other existing laws when he caused the accident.

The reality for most is that the speed limit makes no difference at all. You can still go as fast as you want during the day if you simply do so safely: in the main open part of the lake and as long as the Marine Patrol is not directly behind you.

I am no snob but I'm all for noise enforcement, I don't like illegally loud bikes, boats or cars. I don't want cars, boats, and bikes to be gone (I ride a motorcycle, drive a car and operate a boat myself), I just don't want them to disturb my peace. The noise statutes are pretty liberal in NH, so you have to be pretty obnoxious to break the law.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

Hey mischief, thank you so much for that very thought out answer. my wife and I plan in doing a couple "scouting missions" prior to this trip. We will definitely check out your tips!

I want to add there are idiots everywhere, especially when things with engines are involved. I for one try my best to stay safely away from them.

I can't wait for this trip, hopefully not see my truck till I'm pulling my boat out a week later! Knock on wood....

Good luck. I highly recommend a Bizer electronic chart if you have a chartplotter or smart phone. The lake is notorious for eating props efven though it is well-marked. Some of the markers are hard to figure out and an electronic chart can dramatically reduce stress.

Wolfeboro is a great town to bring kids. The town docks are nice and it's a short trip (well "short" by Winnipesaukee standards...) by boat from Cow Island. Alton, Weirs Beach, Meredith and Center Harbor also offer town docks with attractions nearby.

?ommon?ents_

Cadet

I actually just got my bizer paper chart! Thanks again for all your input!