Reccomendations on N. Wisconsin Resorts.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Finally after 5 years it looks like the wife and I will be able to get away and actually take a vacation again!

Looking for any nice resorts that offer small cabins that aren't rediculously priced. Preferably on any lakes that have a good population of Northerns. My wife has never caught a nice sized one and would like for her to experience that. Not looking for your "Hot Spot" or "Honey Hole" just a general destination with decent cabins. If the fish are there I can find them myself.

So far I've tried searching through Lake-Link for lakes but they don't link many resorts and I've searched resorts through the internet and though there are hundreds to chose from it's hard to get a feel on them just looking at pictures or reading old reviews.

The last real vacation we took we went to Lake Puckaway and that was a bust. The cabin we rented was OK but the bed matteress was in need of replacing long ago. Then when we finally made it up there after reserving the cabin 2 months in advance we found that the water level was at a near all time low, which Puckaway is a very shallow lake anyways and the fishing was extremely poor.

So if you know of a nice resort on a good lake please advise.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: Reccomendations on N. Wisconsin Resorts.

where in North Wisconsin are you looking?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

anywhere north of Madison or Milwaukee. We talked about going to the Miss but I can't seem to locate any resorts on the river.

Scott Danforth

Staff member

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Yes I've looked at the Turtle and a number of the resorts there. Also looked around the Hayward and Boulder Jct areas. Where isn't as important as accomodations, cost, and good numbers of fish. Not looking for trophies just quality fish. There are plenty of lakes close to home that will fit these but staycations don't seem to work out very well. Tried that last year and we made it out onto the water exactly twice.

Scott Danforth

Staff member

if you could tent it, I can point you toward the free camp grounds 1 mile south of the 4-seasons resort. they are on the Michigan side. depending if you are going for pan fish, bass, or walleye, I can point you toward where to fish. It is the Chalk Hills camp sites, # 3 and #4.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Thanks but at this point a cabin is a must.

Was just serfing resorts in the Manitowish area.

bekosh

Lieutenant

I can't really speak for the accommodations, but you might check out the Winnebago system. Great area for boating.

I see you have a pretty small boat so you would probably be better off on the Wolf River than out on the big lake. There are a bunch of resorts in that area.
Winneconne-Family Resorts on the Wolf River with the best Walleye and Bass fishing in Wisconsin
Fremont-
Pine Grove Resort Welcomes You!
Jelly Stone-~dummy~
Blue Top Resort
Gala Resort And Campgrounds
Red Banks-Home Page

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Thanks for the replies and leads.

Both of the boats listed in my sig. have been on some pretty big waters. Mostly Lake Geneva. So that's not an issue, just need to know what you're doing and be smart about it.

We've been to Blue Top many times. Last time they took me out in an ambulance. Have also been to the Rivers Edge in the Dells. Kinda looking for someplace new to get away for a week. So was hoping that some of you could actually suggest places that you have been cause as I say it's hard to get a real feel for a resort looking at pictures on a website.

One that has caught my eye, Sleights Wildwood Resort.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

There are several places up in the UP a little more North. Wife and I go to LK Gogebic every fall for a week. Several good resorts up there, friendly people and GIANT 12"+ perch with a lot of northern, walleye and small mouth too.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Spent the day surfing again and reviewing with the wife. Right now I have about 40+ resorts saved in my favorites. Most seem to be in the Minocqua area.

Found a very nice looking small resort on Nokomis Lake but haven't been able to find much info on the area other rhan it's a short drive to Rhinelander.

Teamster, also looked up your way and found one on Balsm Lake that looks interesting.

Question the wife asked over the weekend is do we really want to pull the boat for 5-6hr to get somewhere.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

No suggestion I take it.

Located what looks to be a nice one up in Spooner and a few in Chetec area also. So right now we have that area and Minocqua area mapped out. So if anyone has input on at least the lakes in those areas it would be a big help.

Posted this same question over on Lake-Link and have had a single response.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Well it looks as if this spring vacation has been put in doubt as well as a July week as we just lost our other mechanic and it will be back to workin 6 days a week this summer again! I'm really getting to old for this.

As for an area to go to I think I've settled on looking in the Hayward Lakes area. So if I can manage a weekend we just might have to take a road trip up that way and do some scouting.

bear_69cuda

Commander

Bents camp is very nice, with some cool history... One of the oldest fishing camps in Wisconsin... Bent's Camp Resort, Restaurant, and Bar : Bent's Camp Very nice owners... I recommend one of the cabins or houses away from the main lodge, as it tends to get busy on the weekends... If you can swing an after labor day fall trip it's less crowded and the colors are incredible!

Cisco chain of lakes has some great fishing with 14 lakes in the chain...

Last edited:

OllieC

Chief Petty Officer

As for an area to go to I think I've settled on looking in the Hayward Lakes area. So if I can manage a weekend we just might have to take a road trip up that way and do some scouting.

Home of the largest Muskie.

I'm in that area all the time. While you're there, drive north about a little over an hour and say "Hello" to Lake Superior.

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Home of the largest Muskie.

I'm in that area all the time. While you're there, drive north about a little over an hour and say "Hello" to Lake Superior.

This I know. Though right now I'd be happy to see the wife tie on a nice 30" northern. Anyways, that is my goal.