anybody boat Texoma?

1979checkmate

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi everyone,

I have recently accepted a job in south central Oklahoma and will be moving there next spring. Lake Texoma will be about 2 hours from my home so i would like to get some more info on the area. I know it is a pretty large lake, and i have a relatively small boat, a 16.5' checkmate trimate II (1979). Will i be constantly thrown around by large boats or are there times of the day where the water is silky smooth. I would like to keep my boat in storage at the lake to avoid trailering 2 hours each way every weekend or 2. I have noticed that slip rental is pretty reasonable at 900-1200/year for a 20' slip. What is the length of waiting lists for the smaller slips typically?

Thanks for all the help!
Alex

pullin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: anybody boat Texoma?

Greetings Alex; Sorry about the delay in responding (I just now noticed your post).

I spend a lot of time on Texoma and will try to answer your questions.

As to your boat: I've boated on Texoma in a small boat (pic below) and you'll need to watch the wind while you're out. When it kicks up, it can produce surprisingly large waves. IME, the largest waves are usually found when you're rounding Preston Point (center right of the map). It seems the wind gets channeled thru there and can really make a wild ride. When a had a small boat, I tried to avoid the main lake body if winds were forecast over 15 mph.

A lot of people go to Texoma to enjoy the islands in the middle. It's nice to anchor and have a section of beach to yourself. If that's your destination it's best to pick a marina near them when the wind is up. On summer weekends, you'll always find a big party on one of the islands (Treasure Island, I think), and it's a great place for bikini-watching. If you prefer a little more solitude you can usually find a stretch of beach without a crowd at one of the other islands. Your small boat will work to your advantage here, because some of the water between the islands can get pretty shallow (and the big cruisers can't get in there). There are also some decent beaches in the large channel going south towards Little Mineral Creek (see map link above). I'm sure there are other good places that I haven't found; hopefully other posters will add their recommendations.

As far as boat storage, I haven't ever gotten a slip there but Eisenhower yacht club (Southeast side) was wanting 235/month last time I asked. You might check on a covered storage lot a few miles from the lake as an option (if you don't mind leaving the boat on a trailer). I have a 30 foot covered space on the OK side that's only $40/month. I leave my 5th wheel camper there so I can pull the boat up and combine camping/boating on the weekends.

A few pics, as promised.

Here's one from last summer, this beach is close to Mill Creek Marina (I think that's it in the background, just beyond the boat):

Here's an older one with a smaller, low-riding boat. We had to be careful of the waves when we had that one, but it's worth it to have the empty beach (this was a weekend in September, after labor day):

..and a hilarious sign I found on an island. Apparently someone got tired of picking up after the partiers. :)

Sorry I couldn't help out with the marina details, but I always trailer there (so I can keep my boat here at the house and use it locally).

Let me know if you've any more questions and I'll try to answer them.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Texoma is a very dangerous lake due to it being wide and long and the wind. About as plain as I can put it.

I have had the begeebies scared out of me on that lake with an 18' Ranger bass boat which I have taken some pretty good water in the past with no problem. It's about 89,000 acres in surface area and has cliffs on the southern shore. With Big and Little Mineral to the south you have several miles that the wind can build up some really bad waves.

Storms run down the (Red) River and menace the lake frequently. The wind can blow from 4 directions simultaneously. By that you might think you are going to get out of the main part of the lake due to wind and waves and duck into a cove just to run head long into more of the same from a different direction. The lake can be relatively calm just to turn into a gale in just a few minutes.

You have to be constantly alert for approaching storms. If you get a weather forecast before you go out and the wind is up, just stay off the main part of the lake. Problem with the Okie side is that in the summer, when most boating is enjoyed, the prevailing wind is out of the South. That puts the big waves on the Okie beaches. Then there are a lot of large boats on there that can throw a nasty wake.

Just respect it and take it on it's terms. You can have a lot of fun on that lake but be alert and prepared.

Mark

1979checkmate

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, guys! It sounds like a like a great lake to have a good time on, so long as it is respected for what it is. I have had my boat on both Lake of the Ozarks and Tablerock Lake in Missouri, where there are also issues with very large boats and being aware of surroundings is paramount. You guys have given me enough information to try it out a few times before making a decision to stick with my small boat or move up to a larger, more capable craft. My main concern with my small boat is not the LOA, but the rather short freeboard at the stern, even with a pretty large splashwell, it makes me nervous: perhaps unsubstantiated. Those islands look fun! pullin, as a trailer-boater what is a typical launch fee at marinas? I will likely start with dry storage at the lake, my main reasoning for considering a slip is so i could ride my motorcycle to the lake. With dry storage i would still have to drive my truck in order to launch. However, it is difficult to justify a slip and lift (im also nervous leaving boats in the water without being on a lift) just to have the option of riding!

chris.j.marshall

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A lot of the smaller lakes in that area are rather low and not so boatable right now, but my boat is of similar size and my go to lakes are Tom Steed and Waurika. Be sure to keep a close eye on the winds in that area, they can pick up quickly.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I have a saying about boats and I think it fits. On land they are never small enough. On water they are never large enough. Only time the latter prevailed was the few times I got stuck on a sandbar.

Good boating.

Mark

1979checkmate

Petty Officer 1st Class

A lot of the smaller lakes in that area are rather low and not so boatable right now, but my boat is of similar size and my go to lakes are Tom Steed and Waurika. Be sure to keep a close eye on the winds in that area, they can pick up quickly.

waurika is actually only about 35 minutes south of where i will be moving to. I'll have to give it a shot!

chris.j.marshall

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I typically head there when I plan on doing some fishing. There are a lot of trees/brush in the northern portion of the lake you'll want to avoid if you're skiing, tubing, ect.

Strawn M

Cadet

Here is a link to check lake levels. Texoma is currently at the lowest levels seen since the 70's. Several ramps have been closed there and it would be a good idea to check ahead before trailering to a specific area. Waurika is in a similar state.

Tulsa District Water Control Home Page

Flysooner9

Seaman Apprentice

If the levels come up in the spring Lake Murry in Ardmore is great.