Jacksonville, Florida's St. John's River Problem

LuvBoating

Senior Chief Petty Officer
As many boaters living in the Jacksonville, FL area know, there is a MAJOR algae bloom problem going on. Warnings have been issued about health concerns for boaters touching the water with any part of their body. We, in our mid 60's, have put our cuddy cabin on the St. John's River a number of times, but now wonder if this algae bloom problem will be gone next March/April when we are ready to start boating again. Being this age, we REALLY have to think about anything that could/would affect our health!

Does anyone here boat on this river, but are wondering (as we are) if the water is safe enough to boat on/touch?

Please reply. Thanks!

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Jacksonville, Florida's St. John's River Problem

We've been reading/hearing about this toxic algae bloom in the St. John's River mostly in the Jacksonville area, but we always put in down in the Palatka/Welaka area....no algae there and river is smaller/more scenic down there....maybe you can consider doing that until the algae bloom danger is over?....

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

I have been out and about pretty regularly over the last few months on the north end around Dames Point , FGI , Sisters creek , and Nassau Sounds . I have not seen any algae blooms at all . Have you seen any ? These recent Nor easters we have been having should help clean it out I would think . If ya see it just don't eat it and drive around it . :)

LuvBoating

From what we've heard and seen, from being on the river, the bloom starts near NAS and goes to the Landing. Same areas we've seen foam before. I was told in another forum that the colder weather to come should get rid of it and the river will be fine next Spring. We will see!

I have been out and about pretty regularly over the last few months on the north end around Dames Point , FGI , Sisters creek , and Nassau Sounds . I have not seen any algae blooms at all . Have you seen any ? These recent Nor easters we have been having should help clean it out I would think . If ya see it just don't eat it and drive around it . :)

Last edited:

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

The recent cold snap and drop in water temp should help kill it. We boat on the SJR further south and have been swimming until 3 weeks ago (too dang cold). No algae here, though.

LuvBoating

We were told this in another forum (cold weather killing it). We sure hope so! The water must be a WHOLE LOT cleaner than up here by NAS and the Landing area. It is VERY "brackish" color here! We call it "root beer" water. We've seen people tubing here, but definitely not swimming.

The recent cold snap and drop in water temp should help kill it. We boat on the SJR further south and have been swimming until 3 weeks ago (too dang cold). No algae here, though.