2014 houseboat shows

Shepest

Cadet
Can anyone give me a list or source of boat shows for 2014 that either specialize in houseboats or, will have a good representation of houseboats at their show? I live in Kansas and the only ones around here are ski/fishing related. I?m looking for a show that I actually get to feel and touch actual affordable (under 75k) houseboats.

It doesn?t matter where the show is because I?m planning an actual vacation trip around it. I know of the one in Jamestown, KY in June 2014. Are there any others?

Thanks
Shepest

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 2014 houseboat shows

There are very few houseboats being built any longer. The big houseboat show is in Louisville every year.

Most new houseboats are built around Lake Cumberland and Somerset, Kentucky. They're essentially aluminum barges in the 60' to 115' lengths with what almost looks like big, wide 2 story mobile homes on them--and they're in the $300-1,000K price range. Needless to say, they're very, very plush. (My best friend is an audio visual contractor specializing in yachts.)

I would suggest researching the market @ boattrader.com and some of the houseboat magazines if you're looking for a under $75K houseboat.

The only reasonably priced houseboat is Catamaran Cruisers Factory Direct New Houseboats for Sale They're built an hour south of Nashville, and they've sold almost 5,000 over the years. They have a nice used 35' boat on their lot that can be bought for a fair price.

While your budget sounds like a lot, there are new pontoon boats with 250 hp motors that cost that much new. My Bennington tritoon with a 150 Yamaha was almost $40K.

Shepest

Cadet

Thanks Bamaman, So you are basically saying that there are no Houseboat shows for the middle class just YACHT SHOWS. I was afraid of that. I have found some sites of new small houseboat..... li'l hobo, the Wave and the likes. And although they would be good for a weekend or a weeks vacation I'm not sure how comfortable they would be for a real lengthy stay. And I would like to see them up close and personal WITHOUT salesmen from the factory dogging me. I guess I will be planning a vacation around traveling to marinas who have used boats for sale this winter instead. :mad: Thanks again.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

You don't say where you're located. Used houseboats are seen quite often throughout the Southeast U.S. as that's where most are made.

The main thing to look for is mechanical condition. My father once was ferrying a houseboat through Lake Barkley on a rainy winter night. They got as far as West Tennessee and a 454 Chevy marine engine blew up. They had to get a mechanic to come from Nashville to disassemble the engine piece by piece and take it up through where a queen size bed was. Needless to say it was a bear to get it fixed.

One source of used houseboats are the rental units coming out of service. Some of them have outboard motors that are simpler to deal with.

The financial fall of 2008 reeked havoc on the marine industry, but especially the houseboat market. The really big houseboats are often bought by "the rich" that continue to spend that money.

Shepest

Cadet

Sorry, I'm in Kansas...... Yeah I know, I can't get much more land locked..... KS has a few used houseboats now and then. OK and TX has more. Then I run into the problem of transport. If it's not trailerable then I have to have it hauled to a lake closer, so then I have to add that the to overall cost of the boat. I do like the idea of an outboard motor. I'm familiar with them and have drive many a boat in my youth with OB. The idea of duals scars the stuffin' out of me.... :) To much power of this lady..... I need something that i can handle myself as most of the time I will be alone when i take her out.

Thanks for all you input. It is much appreciated.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

There are a few trailerable houseboats on the market, but they're hard to find used. They move 14' beam houseboats all the time out of Kentucky, but it is 800-900 miles to the middle of Kansas--a long way to haul something as large as a house.

The Catamaran Cruiser's trailerable houseboat is a pretty nice unit, and it's relatively affordable. There's one in a marina across the lake from me.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

There are a few trailerable houseboats on the market, but they're hard to find used. They move 14' beam houseboats all the time out of Kentucky, but it is 800-900 miles to the middle of Kansas--a long way to haul something as large as a house.

The Catamaran Cruiser's trailerable houseboat is a pretty nice unit, and it's relatively affordable. There's one in a marina across the lake from me.