Delaware river to Chesapeake trip

superbenk

Commander
Still winterizing the boat for this year & already thinking about next year! With the new boat (2008 Four Winns Horizon 200), we're thinking of doing a trip from Neshaminy Marina north of Philly through the C&D canal to Havre de Grace (or nearby). We were thinking of finding a place to overnight on the canal somewhere and make it a multi-day trip. Looking for tips & recommendations on how to plan this out. Are there better destinations or is this far enough for a boat this size? According to Google Earth it looks like it should be about 95 miles from Neshaminy to Havre de Grace. We put about 50 miles on last weekend just messing around so this seems feasible. Thoughts, recommendations, tips?

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Delaware river to Chesapeake trip

Definitely feasible, I know some who've done it. You can overnight on the C&D canal at Chesapeake City. I know the marina manager there, let me know if you want a referral. Chesapeake City also has some B&Bs if you don't want to overnight on your bowrider.

I recommend you time your trip to take advantage of the tides. Head down the Delaware with the falling tide to maximize speed and minimize fuel consumption. Also consider the C&D canal current which can be 2 knots; there are resources available online if you search for "Chesapeake & Delaware canal current".

If you go to Havre de Grace (HdG) be careful traversing the flats of the upper bay. It's easy to get grounded, even during high tide, if you don't now where you're going. Be sure to refer to a chart.

There are some active boating social groups on face book e.g. you can search for Upper Chesapeake Recreational Boaters. I am a member there and the group can offer lots of good advice about the upper bay. There's also a Delaware River group.

If you let me know when you plan to go, maybe we can meet up there. I live in Cherry Hill but do most of my boating on the upper Chesapeake.

superbenk

Commander

Definitely feasible, I know some who've done it. You can overnight on the C&D canal at Chesapeake City. I know the marina manager there, let me know if you want a referral. Chesapeake City also has some B&Bs if you don't want to overnight on your bowrider.

I recommend you time your trip to take advantage of the tides. Head down the Delaware with the falling tide to maximize speed and minimize fuel consumption. Also consider the C&D canal current which can be 2 knots; there are resources available online if you search for "Chesapeake & Delaware canal current".

If you go to Havre de Grace (HdG) be careful traversing the flats of the upper bay. It's easy to get grounded, even during high tide, if you don't now where you're going. Be sure to refer to a chart.

There are some active boating social groups on face book e.g. you can search for Upper Chesapeake Recreational Boaters. I am a member there and the group can offer lots of good advice about the upper bay. There's also a Delaware River group.

If you let me know when you plan to go, maybe we can meet up there. I live in Cherry Hill but do most of my boating on the upper Chesapeake.

Excellant info! I read about the current on the C&D so we'll have to take that into consideration.

We definitely plan on overnighting at an inn or B&B, not on the boat. The more I look at it the more feasible it appears to be. We've been on the Chesapeake from Havre de Grace up the Susquehanna (the little bit you can do) and down the the entrance to Elk River, but never across the C&D. I understand exactly what you're saying about how shallow it gets! I have a chart-plotter on my phone & know how to read channel markers, etc. Shouldn't be a problem.

What do you think about going all the way down to Baltimore & into the Inner Harbor? Is that a crazy idea?

I'd definitely like a referral if you know someone in Chesapeake City marina. That's where I was thinking we'd overnight on the way out & again on the way back. Looking at 3 days & 2 nights if all works out the way I plan.

What's the traffic like on the C&D? Are the big ships a concern or just something to be aware of & make room for? Do they cause much of a wake we'd need to be concerned about? Are there speed limits on the C&D for small boats or big? Any recommendations on places to stay, eat or anything else?

I think we might try to drive down to Chesapeake City this winter to scope it out as a day trip just to get the lay of the land.

mds47588

Cadet

I live in south Mississippi, but grew up in Aberdeen Maryland and have wanted to take my boat back to the upper Chesapeake and Inner Harbor, C&D....etc since I purchased it almost two years ago.

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ben, it's not a problem to go down to the inner harbor, or even to Annapolis as long as you're prepared to burn the fuel. Weather can be a factor; if the prevailing wind is opposite the tide it can produce a bad chop. Note that the NOAA forecast of wave height does not take wind into consideration. If you exercise common sense you'll be safe but not necessarily comfortable.

There are three options for overnight docking in the Chesapeake City basin. As you enter the basin, all the way to starboard are a few FREE city docks (in the back corner.) Most prominently in the center are the Chesapeake Inn docks; they allow transients overnight but I don't recall the fee. All the way to port in the other back corner is a separate private marina with a few slips. I'll PM you the contact information for the marina manager there.

The Chesapeake Inn is great for a meal and they also have a separate B&B in town, an easy walk from the basin.

Across the canal from the basin is Schaeffer's restaurant. I haven't been there so I can't comment on the food. The docking is open to the canal so there's a chance your boat can be bounced around by wakes.

Ships are not a concern in the canal. There are some big ones, but if you slow when passing you'll be fine. The bigger problem are the 30'-50' boats pushing big wakes.

The only speed limits are for about 1/3 mile at the Chesapeake City no-wake zone, and in the Maryland portion there is a 35 knot daytime/20 knot nighttime speed limit.

Look for my PM.

a2dubnut

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Superbenk - I'm curious about this trip for next summer as well - I'd be interested in what other details you are able to figure out. I slip for the summers up at D&S Marina (Baum's Cove), so it's basically the same trip for me.
If you do do it - I'd be curious about what pitfalls there are - where the shallowest parts of the upper chessie are, etc.