Calling All Ontario Members

rsmyth

Recruit
Re: Calling All Ontario Members

great thread Grandad,

read through the whole thing and enjoyed every minute.
im 28, me and my fiance live in Island Grove just behind snake Island on simcoe with water front....we have a 1989 Doral Tara in beautiful shape, have a old family fishing boat ( not even sure what kind it is) with a johnson 25, aswell as one those annoying sea doos we all hate so much.... lol
we mainly do over nighters, switching between transient welcoming marinas, routinely visit the northern part of the trent to end up in Glouster pool....
planning a trip to the new york Canal like a previous poster recommended this summer, sounds very inviting and like quite the community....

couldnt agree any more with LaBomba (Allan) regarding the price increases throughout the trent, i will be sending in a verbal complaint aswell to Mr. Grossi! anyone see his multi-million dollar man made mountain in sutton???

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Hi rsmyth, welcome to iboats and thanks for checking in here. You're located just up the shore from some relatives I have in Willow Beach. I only boated there once on a day trip from Barrie. Are there any good transient slips close to Willow Beach? From the shore, I checked out the pier at Willow Beach last summer, but it looked more like a swimmers hangout. Not sure even if there were any mooring cleats on the pier. I'd like to see the New York System too, but I'm planning to do the Rideau first, if it's still affordable on a fixed pension. I've got you added to the list. - Grandad

Attachments

• iBoats Ontario Members.pdf
    24.5 KB · Views: 0

wrench 3

Commander

Hi grandad: The PDF file is working great. I've downloaded it to the laptop that I carry on the boat. Every time you update it I just replace the file.

rsmyth

Recruit

hi grandad,
yeah not much in the way of mooring options on this side of lake, unless you know someone. everythings private really, and i believe that peer you were on is at a place callled skippers, which yes its a place for all the southeners to come and fish for sunfish. theres a beautiful not so populated anchorage/swim hole just off the south side of Thora island, on a nice calm day the waters remarkable there for some reason. One of my favorite spots on simcoe.

Scorpion210

Seaman

I only boated there once on a day trip from Barrie. Are there any good transient slips close to Willow Beach? From the shore, - Grandad

You could try Mahoney's for a transient slip close to Willow Beach
https://marinas.com/view/marina/401_Mahoney's_Marina_Willow_Beach_ON

And if you want to go a little further to Keswick, you can always get a spot at Crates or Keswick Marina. They don't advertise Transient slips, but they will more than likely find you a spot
Crate Marine Sales - Proud to be a top dealer for Carver, Marquis, Regal, Cruisers, Sabre and Back Cove.
Keswick Marine Ltd

Going the other direction you could stay at Jacksons Point Harbour....A poor man's Orillia that has mainly become home to the local sailing club
Corporation of the Town of Georgina Official Website

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks Scorpion210. It seems that perhaps Crate's has purchased Mahoney's.
When I clicked on Willow Beach - Crate Marine Sales , I get Crates info on their new Willow Beach location. They list it as located at 1354 Metro Rd N Georgina, ON L0E 1S0, but describe it as on north Lake Simcoe.
When I Google map the address, it shows Mahoney's Marina as Crate's Marina, so I think maybe there's been an ownership change. I'm sure Crate's will get their location figured out eventually. They must have been direct reading their indirect compass.
I plan to scout around the neighbourhood once the water isn't so stiff. - Grandad

Scorpion210

Seaman

Thanks Scorpion210. It seems that perhaps Crate's has purchased Mahoney's.
When I clicked on Willow Beach - Crate Marine Sales , I get Crates info on their new Willow Beach location. They list it as located at 1354 Metro Rd N Georgina, ON L0E 1S0, but describe it as on north Lake Simcoe.
When I Google map the address, it shows Mahoney's Marina as Crate's Marina, so I think maybe there's been an ownership change. I'm sure Crate's will get their location figured out eventually. They must have been direct reading their indirect compass.
I plan to scout around the neighbourhood once the water isn't so stiff. - Grandad

Yes, Crates purchased Mahoney's. I believe they did, then it didn't go through, then it did again. I didn't realize they added it to the main Crates's site. I have never gone there, but I think there is a bridge you need to go under...Describing as the North end of Lake Simcoe is really quite the stretch

LaBomba

Cadet

Yes, Crates purchased Mahoney's. I believe they did, then it didn't go through, then it did again. I didn't realize they added it to the main Crates's site. I have never gone there, but I think there is a bridge you need to go under...Describing as the North end of Lake Simcoe is really quite the stretch

Mahoney's is fairly hard to find because it is on a small canal and you have to go thru a culvert to get to it. In my buddy's 18 ft. boat we have to put the antenna down, lie the fishing rods down and may even have to duck depending on water level. It is also shallow approaching the culvert so trim up. Well protected spot but only for small boats and the price for launching doubled when Crate's took over.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Mahoney's is fairly hard to find because it is on a small canal and you have to go thru a culvert to get to it. In my buddy's 18 ft. boat we have to put the antenna down, lie the fishing rods down and may even have to duck depending on water level. It is also shallow approaching the culvert so trim up. Well protected spot but only for small boats and the price for launching doubled when Crate's took over.
Thanks for the heads up, LaBomba. Or is that heads down? Anyway, I'm in the process of mounting a new tower on my 21 footer, so I may have to scratch off going through culverts. - Grandad

littlerayray

Lieutenant

hey guys im ray my wife is lisa we are from cornwall area and cant wait for spring just so everyone knows you can by pass the iroquois locks unless you have a sailboat or are too tall too bad i havent met anyone on here from my area i usually travel st-lawrence below the dam east of cornwall but am looking forward to a weekend trip from cornwall to brockville then to kingston maybe any tips on or suggestions guys i have a 2012 18' tahoe

wrench 3

Commander

just so everyone knows you can by pass the iroquois locks unless you have a sailboat or are too tall /QUOTE]
Hi Ray: I'm curios, how do you "by pass" a lock. BTW your post would be easier to read with some punctuation.

littlerayray

Lieutenant

in Iroquois the locks are only used for ships and large /tall vessels the dam gates are open and passage is permitted as long as you fit the requirements you actually go under the dam and sorry about my punctuation i never paid attention in highschool english class because i knew what i would be doing in life and that is construction so i didn't care about punctuation

wrench 3

Commander

I still can't visualize how you can run through the dam itself. I gues I'll have to come take a look some time. Don't worry about the puntuation being perfect, but it helps us follow the train of thought if we know were one sentance ends and the other starts.
I'm in the mechanics trade, and if you can't write a description of the job you performed you don't get paid.

circusbear

Recruit

Hey Grandpa,
I just found this thread- thanks BTW. I have a 88 Doral 20' br with a 4.3l merc. It is easily trailerable but stayed in a marina down the river on the south end of Simcoe. I ran all over Simcoe fishing and tubing last year. Traliered to Georgian Bay the year before. I am looking to going a bit further down the Trent if the rates are reasonable.....time will tell. I had a 18' Peterborough when I was 18 but took some time off...I would love to meet up at a rally over the summer as I am out most weekends. Oh btw, I am from Alliston.

littlerayray

Lieutenant

I still can't visualize how you can run through the dam itself. I gues I'll have to come take a look some time. Don't worry about the puntuation being perfect, but it helps us follow the train of thought if we know were one sentance ends and the other starts.
I'm in the mechanics trade, and if you can't write a description of the job you performed you don't get paid.

im in construction im an ironworker wrench and the way the dam works is there are giant slabs of concrete that slide down to close off the opening but when the gates are open there is room enough for boats and their are day markers in place for safe passage i was planning a trip to brockville last summer and was inquiring about lock fees and procedures when the lock master told me about this
also check this quick blog it will has great pictures and explains everything better

TomCat Tales: Crysler Park to Grenadier Island

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Hi Ray, Lisa and circusbear. I've added your info. Thanks Ray for the link that explains the lock bypass. It sounds like a violation of physics. Having never seen this dam or the lock, I'm guessing that the change in water level isn't very great. It must be just a device to control the water flow as opposed to maintaining a height of water. With the opening kept small, it would maintain some height difference but must also create quite a current for boats passing through. - Grandad

Attachments

• iBoats Ontario Members.pdf
    25.5 KB · Views: 0

littlerayray

Lieutenant

not sure how the current is up there i havent boated above the west of cornwall much since im not to sure about the water levels but this summer i plan on taking the boat up to brockville for ribfest and watch the big poker run and have all the crazy boats zoom past me as if im standing still

littlerayray

Lieutenant

Hi Ray, Lisa and circusbear. I've added your info. Thanks Ray for the link that explains the lock bypass. It sounds like a violation of physics. Having never seen this dam or the lock, I'm guessing that the change in water level isn't very great. It must be just a device to control the water flow as opposed to maintaining a height of water. With the opening kept small, it would maintain some height difference but must also create quite a current for boats passing through. - Grandad

thanks for the great welcome looking forward to seeing you all on the water just out of curiosity i wonder if there is an iboats sticker that can be made so that we can stick them in a conspicuous area like the windshield and start like a club so that people can be easily identified on the water

littlerayray

Lieutenant

thanks for the great welcome looking forward to seeing you all on the water just out of curiosity i wonder if there is an iboats sticker that can be made so that we can stick them in a conspicuous area like the windshield and start like a club so that people can be easily identified on the water