Calling All Ontario Members

skyking897

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Calling All Ontario Members

Accidentally came across this post today and see my ID listed so here's my info too.
1986 Sylvan Offshore 22' 3.0 I/O Mercruiser.
We trailer to different marinas throughout southern Lake Huron, St. Clair River, Mitchell's Bay, Lake St. Clair and Lake Erie.
Mostly used for day cruising and fishing. (Retiring next year, so lots of extra time for both)

Scorpion210

Seaman

Boat - 1993 Thundercraft 350 Express & 1985 21' Chris Craft Scorpion
Boating - mostly Lake Simcoe & Couchiching. Usually will take at least one trip per season through Trent/Severn

boatpoker

Seaman Apprentice

I notice there are a few boats in this thread bigger than would be trailerable so I thought I'd chime in. I have boated on all of the great lakes and the canals in Ontario and don't understand why more Ontarins don't hop across to the New York State Canal system where docking, wifi, power and water and occasional laundry facilities are free. We spent all of August in this 2200 kilometer system for a $100.00 (40' boat) canal pass. Check it out here.

MolsonCanadian

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I see I'm already on the list! You got it right, I'm mostly in Georgian Bay with an occasional jaunt up (down?) the Trent towards Orillia. We want to hit Peterborough one day. We've tried 3 times so far and never quite made it. We'll see how next season goes. Typically we stay within 50km of our marina in Penetang. (Beausoleil Island, Giants Tomb, Beckwith etc) We'll take the occasional trip in the inner towards Parry Sound etc. The water levels next season will dictate how adventurous we'll get.

And yes, we'll be at the boat show. Its my mid winter salvation.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the information updates guys. Updated PDF attached. Sorry about the formatting. Copy and paste from Excel to Acrobat Professional has a new wrinkle at every update.

Hey Molson, the picture in my avatar was taken on the south east shore of Beckwith Island. Nice area. We were heading out from Midland to "while away the day in the lee of Christian Island", but Beckwith looked good enough when we got that far. - Grandad

Attachments

• iBoats Ontario Members.pdf
    460.2 KB · Views: 0

MolsonCanadian

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Beckwith is a great spot. Nice white sand, and Caribbean turquoise water. If you're ever up again, let me know. Typically most weekends we're rafted off at Cedar Springs at Beausoleil.

Joeshow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hello, i think its a decent idea!
my boats at my parents place. I believe its T85 out their front window (in the narrows).
This is my second boat, bought it in July this year I believe... First boat was purchased in may 2011, an ol Grew I/O that I worked on a lot lol. Sold it this year in may or June.
I have a 1975 16' American with a 1980 115 merc.. Shes used for fishing, tubing and cruising. I trailer it to the bay of Quinte once in a while and have driven the boat to Consecon once. I don't venture too much.
I like to work on my own toys, that way ya know there's at least some quality to what's been done! :)

Cheers

Streetgang

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well well well

look at all u Canuckistanians coming together.......not my term just one of my favorite posters and hopefully peers....Grandad.

So from Cleveland, OH but my Pop kept taking me up North with his buds to remotistcan...Haverlock, Marmora. Madora, Mud Turtle and ending up taking my buds there and now that oppty is no longer an option so we go elsewhere .......

So I get some enjoyment out of hearing you fine folks talk about Rice Lake let alone Grandad taking time to put this together.

Currently, my boyos go to Lady Evelyn for a week and my good pal owns a place on Pelee (southern most point in Canada (great white north) and we also spend some time there.

I am just happy to see u fine folks hooking up.

It has been a dream for some of us here to do the Trent for a week or so eh .....

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Hello, i think its a decent idea!
my boats at my parents place. I believe its T85 out their front window (in the narrows).
This is my second boat, bought it in July this year I believe... First boat was purchased in may 2011, an ol Grew I/O that I worked on a lot lol. Sold it this year in may or June.
I have a 1975 16' American with a 1980 115 merc.. Shes used for fishing, tubing and cruising. I trailer it to the bay of Quinte once in a while and have driven the boat to Consecon once. I don't venture too much.
I like to work on my own toys, that way ya know there's at least some quality to what's been done! :)

Cheers

Thanks Joe. I was just updating my Excel spreadsheet before posting in PDF form and realized I don't understand your location. Can you give us a town or city location? You mention the "narrows", but I'll bet there are a few hundred of those. Around here, the narrows is between Lake Couchiching and Lake Simcoe, but it sounds like you're in the Quinte area. - Grandad

CraigBarnard

Petty Officer 1st Class

Beckwith is a great spot. Nice white sand, and Caribbean turquoise water. If you're ever up again, let me know. Typically most weekends we're rafted off at Cedar Springs at Beausoleil.

We camped out in the boat last Labor Day weekend just south of Hope Island. We trailered the boat to Cedar Beach (i think) and launched there. This year we are hoping to make a similar trip but leaving from our cottage on Sparrow Lake up through the Severn River.
It takes less than a day to reach Port Severn but the waters past that are completely unfamiliar to me.
Has anyone done the trip from Port Severn to Beckwith?

Thanks

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Hi Craig, I've boated out of and into Port Severn a few times over the years, but not regularly. You absolutely must know exactly where you are as you follow your charts religiously until you're well out into the bay. The rocks are like underwater mountains that rise from the Canadian Shield where you might least expect. I'm sure someone like MolsonCanadian may be more helpful. Here's an interesting website with some nice videos of various south Georgian Bay islands. - Grandad
Cruising Georgian Bay Boat & Yacht Directory - Marinas, Anchorages, Yacht Brokers, New Boat Sales, Maps, Cruising News - Boating Georgian Bay

CVX20SPRINT

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Guys
I'm in Coldwater.Pretty much on the bottom of Georgian Bay.Usually use the old lump for day trips with the family and once a summer for an extended family camping weekend on Go Home Lake.Don't get out as much as I'd Like.Most of our boating is done on the Trent Sys. as it's only a 10 min. trailer ride.The water level is just too low on Georgian Bay and there are way too many new islands out there if you know what I meen.
I've got a CVX20 Glastron Carlson with an I6 1500 Merc TOP that I'm running now.
I also have a 68 Starcraft Falcon that was my parents boat and before that my uncles that he used for a taxi-boat on Go Home Lake.My nephew is useing the Starcraft right now with a 92 60hp Johnson on it.
I also have MX-15 Checkmate(one of the good years with a pad) project boat that I might hang the 1500 on just for fun.
BTW my wifes uncle built the first marina on Go Home when you used to have to access it from Georgian Bay.Then when they built 69 hyway my dad and my uncle build the first marina at the bottom of the lake in Minors Bay.Mom and dad both worked at the marina so I grew up there.My parents and my uncle both had cottages side by side at the top end of the lake by Mannings Bay.Our cottage got sold in the 80's.I sure do miss it.

MolsonCanadian

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Craig, when you come onto the bay from lock 45 it can be tricky. Study your charts before hand. Potato Island Channel is the most direct route, however with the low water level, I would not advise it. Take the route out around the south, near Waubaushene and out that way toward methodist island. Continue towards Snake Island (stay on the south side of Snake, you should see the old range towers) then you can take the gap out towards Giants Tomb, and further to Beckwith. Don't try to take a shortcut between Present Island and Beausoleil. It gets really skinny in there.

CraigBarnard

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks M.C. thats awesome advice.
We have made it to the Bay on our last trip and it did look quite intimidating.
Due to time constraints we turned around and headed back down the river.
Next time we will brave the unknown and head out following your directions.

Joeshow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Joe. I was just updating my Excel spreadsheet before posting in PDF form and realized I don't understand your location. Can you give us a town or city location? You mention the "narrows", but I'll bet there are a few hundred of those. Around here, the narrows is between Lake Couchiching and Lake Simcoe, but it sounds like you're in the Quinte area. - Grandad

Ah sorry, I'm at lock 7, glenross Ontario, just north of Frankford. If you can read buoy T86 you can see my boat lol

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Just minor updates to the Ontario members list. I didn't add your name Streetgang, but you're welcome to join in the discussions at any time. The list is for Ontario based members, but the thread is for discussion of Ontario boating topics by any and all members. - Grandad

Attachments

• iBoats Ontario Members.pdf
    483.1 KB · Views: 1

Streetgang

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you Grandad. I understand and will enjoy the thread.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

nice thread you people have here. i see it getting even bigger fast! I started calling all lake mead boaters and might borrow a few ideas if u dont mind.I wish we could boat togeather but were far apart.

CVX20SPRINT

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm surprised that with a lake every 100'(seems like anyway) that there aren't a lot more posts in this thread.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

I'm surprised that with a lake every 100'(seems like anyway) that there aren't a lot more posts in this thread.
I'm not too surprised. I think as people discover the thread and perhaps register, there'll be more interest. Hopefully, the slow start is just a growing pain. By the way, I visited Go Home Lake a number of times to visit the Misener family circa 1974. At that time, most cottage access was via boat, perhaps at or near your uncle's marina. We had a 17' Winner Eliminator that we trailed all over before children. - Grandad