Calling All Ontario Members

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Calling All Ontario Members

Hi SamLin. Thanks for checking in. I was born and raised in Hamilton; a nice place to be from. I tried to outwit the Hamilton Harbour Police at age 15 in my MiniMost sea flea. Later, took sailing lessons with my wife in the harbour. They tell me that a lot has changed on the bay since we were last there in the '70's. I've updated the attached Ontario Members' List with your info and 278 Vista's. - Grandad

Attachments

• iBoats Ontario Members.pdf
    33.8 KB · Views: 0

278 Vista

Cadet

Good job on that PDF Grandad. I must ask, did out get away from the Hamilton harbor Heat? hehehe

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Good job on that PDF Grandad. I must ask, did out get away from the Hamilton harbor Heat? hehehe

Well, generally I was a good law abiding citizen, but remember this was in the days of the street rods. I never had a speedometer in that 8' of saucer shaped 1/4" plywood, but the 10 HP Merc Hurricane pushed it along well above what I knew the declared harbour speed limits were. When I saw the police boat headed my way, I knew enough to slow down, which meant that they caught up with me for a safety check. Although home-built (my first) and a capacity plate not required, I knew that it was only sized for one person, so I had my girlfriend fold forward compactly on her knees with her red nylon windbreaker covering her much like a cushion would appear. They came within a few feet of us and asked me the usual questions about life jacket, paddle and baling can, all of which I was able to demonstrate while my girl suffered in silence. They then told me there was a 30 knot wind coming, so I'd better get off the water and they left. After they left, my girl straightened up painfully and shared her pain with a sharp punch to my gut. To this day, I wonder if in fact they knew she was there all along and were howling with laughter afterward. - Grandad

InMotion

Commander

Well, generally I was a good law abiding citizen, but remember this was in the days of the street rods. I never had a speedometer in that 8' of saucer shaped 1/4" plywood, but the 10 HP Merc Hurricane pushed it along well above what I knew the declared harbour speed limits were. When I saw the police boat headed my way, I knew enough to slow down, which meant that they caught up with me for a safety check. Although home-built (my first) and a capacity plate not required, I knew that it was only sized for one person, so I had my girlfriend fold forward compactly on her knees with her red nylon windbreaker covering her much like a cushion would appear. They came within a few feet of us and asked me the usual questions about life jacket, paddle and baling can, all of which I was able to demonstrate while my girl suffered in silence. They then told me there was a 30 knot wind coming, so I'd better get off the water and they left. After they left, my girl straightened up painfully and shared her pain with a sharp punch to my gut. To this day, I wonder if in fact they knew she was there all along and were howling with laughter afterward. - Grandad

Now that there is funny! Nothin' like some good ole fashion fuzz avoidance! Nice work GD! PS --- I always wanted to build a MiniMost!

J.

wrench 3

Commander

I had a MiniMax when I was younger. Souped up 12hp Elto on it. That thing would fly. I remember coming down past Snug Harbor one day, trying to make the last locking of the day at Lindsay. There was a heavy swell and I was touching the water about a third of the time.
The only time the cops stopped me was in rough water and It was handling so well that he wanted to know where he could get one for his son.

wrench 3

Commander

Anyone planning on attending the Toronto Boat Show this January?

We will probably attend on the first weekend.

Hi Craig. Just curios if you made it to the show. I was there last Saturday and had a good time. My daughter got two free tickets, so the two of us went. We drove to Oshawa and took the GO train from there.
I purchased a couple of the smaller things I needed but managed to refrain from buying a new boat. I've got to stop going through those fifty footers, although they sure are pretty.

ceasarea

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi there fellow Ont boaters...
I have a cottage on lake Scugog and love to boat in my 1997 Glastron 185gs with a 4.3 volvo. Unfortunately the boat rubbed against the dock in a bad storm and now i have a 12" rub mark and 1/4 inch groove .....you dont see colour only the fiberglass....Any ideas on who can fix it and what it might cost...The rest of the boat is 95%....and i plan on keeping it a long time.

ceasarea

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I too boat in Ontario...Lake Scugog . We have a cottage there that's been in the family since the 1950's. I drive a 1997 Glastron 185 GS with a 4.3 Volvo....We also have a 1961 Crestliner Falcon with original interior that one day will be restored in memory of my dad. For now the kids use it and i don't complain about all the scratches it gets. Powered by a 1971 Merc 40hp electric....

wrench 3

Commander

Hi there fellow Ont boaters...
I have a cottage on lake Scugog and love to boat in my 1997 Glastron 185gs with a 4.3 volvo. Unfortunately the boat rubbed against the dock in a bad storm and now i have a 12" rub mark and 1/4 inch groove .....you dont see colour only the fiberglass....Any ideas on who can fix it and what it might cost...The rest of the boat is 95%....and i plan on keeping it a long time.

The closest place I know that advertises fiberglass repair is on #36 heading into Bobcaygeon. But I'd try Westshore Marine, on Whitfield Road. Or follow the shore line south until you run into their docks.
But then you probably know where they are. It would be best to have them take a look at it and give you a price.

BTW we're living on the north end of Scugog in the house that started out as my dad's cottage in the 60's.

wrench 3

Commander

Sorry if I caused any confusion, but somehow I got Seagrave and Seasarea mixed up. Westshore is still probably the closest spot, but that's head north out of Port Perry to Whitfield Rd.. Or by water, head through the narrows at Port Hoover and down towards Port Perry. Their docks stick out into the lake about two thirds the way down the west shore.

ceasarea

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the advice.....I was almost thinking i would have to take it to a body shop....We cottage in Ceasarea down past the park....Dad payed $1000 for the lot when he was 19....early 1950's i think....but then again that was a lot of money ..I often pass the marina on my way to Gorskies for lunch . I'll check it out.

Last edited:

wrench 3

Commander

We cottage in Ceasarea down past the park....Dad payed $1000 for the lot when he was 19....early 1950's i think....but then again that was a lot of money.

My dad paid $2,000 for this lot in the 1960's. I guess that's inflation for you.
In the 1970's I used to get most of my groceries by taking the boat over to Ceasarea.

ceasarea

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wondering if you have ever taken the boat trip to Lindsay....if so how long does it take ( from Ceasarea) and how narrow does it get. Thanks.

wrench 3

Commander

Wondering if you have ever taken the boat trip to Lindsay....if so how long does it take ( from Ceasarea) and how narrow does it get. Thanks.

We run the 26' cabin cruiser in my avatar picture so we're running up through Lindsay into the main Trent system a lot. Cruising at 25mph it takes 45 min to an hour to get to the locks downtown. From the hwy 7 bridge into Lindsay (and for about a mile north of Lindsay) there's a 10kph speed limit, so that slows you down quite a bit.
There is lots of width for your boat (there's thirty footers running it all the time) but it's whinedy, so you have to watch the channel markers closely. I could lead you up there some time if you like. There's new government docks just before the locks at the Old Mill park.
I can't believe you've been around here that long and haven't gone up the river.

ceasarea

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cool....We really want to make the trip this summer....I got a quote to fix the repair on the side of my boat....About $500.....worth every penny as long as its done right. Until recently we didnt really have a reliable boat....My father attempted it in the 1960's with his 10hp and turned back after 2 hours...red as can be from the sun.

Last edited:

I too boat on lake scugog, I've done the run several times to Lindsay with a 30' doral prestancia. It helps to use a chartplotter or paper charts for the first time but not essential to learn the arrangement of the markers around some of the bends. Stay in the channel and watch the water for floaters. It's a beautiful drive. The government locks on this side of Lindsay are nice and Rivera park on the north side of the lock is awesome.

CraigBarnard

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Craig. Just curios if you made it to the show. I was there last Saturday and had a good time. My daughter got two free tickets, so the two of us went. We drove to Oshawa and took the GO train from there.
I purchased a couple of the smaller things I needed but managed to refrain from buying a new boat. I've got to stop going through those fifty footers, although they sure are pretty.

Yes we did make it to the boat show.
Was a good afternoon. Also didnt purchase much but found some cool solar powered lights thag attach to railings etc.
Light up when it gets dark. Should be good mood lighting.

wrench 3

Commander

caesarea:
I would love to run up there with you some time. (Any excuse for a boat trip) Send me a private message if you like. If it's summer I might take a little wile to get back to you. It's not unusual for me to only check my Email once a week.

Doralprenstancia89:
Riveara Park is an awesome spot and cheap for shore power and showers. We've spent a lot of nights there. But not sure if caesarea wants to pay to go through the lock.

CraigBarnard:
I've seen those lights in use. There really neat.

ceasarea

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the offer ...you will be hearing from me for sure.....Once the dock is out i will be putting whips on it to keep the boat away from the dock. I would prefer a lift but its just too hard to put in and out myself....

wrench 3

Commander

Once the dock is out i will be putting whips on it to keep the boat away from the dock. I would prefer a lift but its just too hard to put in and out myself....

We're lucky that it's pretty sheltered over here, although we pay for it in weed growth. After a good storm early last summer, we came across an abandoned canoe off of the Ball Point marker and towed it over to the marina at Ceasarea. It turned out that it had come across from Williams Point. The guy had left it on top of his dock the night before.
It's hard enough getting the dock legs out of the mud. I can only imagine what a lift would be like. We have 50' of dock out from the shore and a 16' "L" on the end. It's all wood but at least it comes out in sections.