Orlando antique aluminum boat club

Status
Not open for further replies.

orlandoclippertim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am an Orlando clipper owner (which I am restoring). I noticed that there are quite a few Orlando Clipper owners in central florida which have made their presance known on iboats. I have also noticed that many owners don't know much about them other than that they love them. We need to share ideas and skills and experience. I know a feathercraft collector here in orlando who brought up the idea of an antique aluminum boat club. Maybe one loosely knitted together but having a monthly or bi-monthly E-News letter. We were thinking primairily of the 50's and up to mid 60's aluminum runabouts of all brands. Wood and glass counterparts would be welcome too. Also his idea was that it could be an activity oriented club - maybe water daytrips ? Water picnics ? Also it would be a family oriented club. He thought we could meet also at the local AOMCI and antique club that allreadty meets anyway. What better way to introduce grandkids to boats.! and great grandkids !

If you have an Orlando clipper, feathercraft, alumacraft, lone star, cadillac or other - if you are interested in participating - please send me a private message with your return E-Mail so we can send you e-mails as it takes shape ! ( If we get some members ......)

Our aluminum boats have special needs to care for them and preserve them in a way that they may last another 50 years. If we share our knowlege and skills - that is good for everyone !

Best wishes
Tim B.

Last edited:

old clipper

Recruit
Re: Orlando antique aluminum boat club

Hi Tim, great idea, this boat club! I just purchased an Orlando Clipper, don't know the model, perhaps someone can help? THE OLE GIRL is 15'-9" 1962 open with mid cable steering on right side. Pretty good shape I'd say, needs plenty TLC. Hope to put her to good use soon, I'm 64yrs old, had sm. to big and now I'm ready for sm. again.

cyclops2

Banned

All of you Aluminum lovers & owners , I am one also, need to learn about ACCIDENTAL spills of anything onto the metal. It can be a disaster.

I would HIGHLY recommend you remove one at a time any wood / metal /plastic / or carpeting the covers or touches the Aluminum ANYWHERE.

A soap & water wash down is in order. Tilt the boat up during the FINAL RINSE. From the raised bow to the transom with the drain plug removed. After the water has stopped dripping, SLOWLY rock the boat to one side to let ALL the water to drain out from those clogged up drains under the inner frames on the bottom of the hull.

It is important to get the floor frame holes open and working. DO NOT shove pointy or sharp edged stuff in there. Holes in bottom skin DO HAPPEN. I used a OLD SET OF FEELER GUAGES.
I did a VERY DANGEROUS thing to several of my blocked up floor frames.... CAREFULLY.... I drilled a 1/4" diameter hole where the frame had curved up slightly. I FILED a flat surface on top of the round frame. JUST WIDE ENOUGH TO CENTER PUNCH & DO A PILOT HOLE. Then did the 1/4" holes.

VERY VERY dangerous. But I now can flushout anything that gets into the frames each year.
I AM DAMM GOOD AT DOING STUFF LIKE THOSE HOLES. You should not attempt it. I borrowed a set of drill bit stops that clamp around a drill bit anywhere from the tip. They are really used by WOOD BOAT BUILDERS. Let them set the stop on your drill bits.

Coffee & doughnuts are required payment. Even if refused when offered.

After cleaning , washing, draining & drying. I hope your boat can have a painted inner hull. A special primer is a ABSOLUTE MUST !!!! It does 2 important things. It attaches to the metal chemically. AND It does not eat up the Aluminum while it is drying.
Make SURE you use paints that work together. Call the PRIMER COMPANY to find out what will work with the primer.

The purpose of all that work is to buy you some time to dilute any spills with plenty of water..........A COVERED BATTERY BOX IS MANDATORY TO PREVENT acids bubbling out during overcharging. NO HOLES IN THE BOTTOM OF THE battery box. Keep the acid inside of it.

Enjoy :)

Rich

orlandoclippertim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Rich !
I have noticed that the stringers that clippers use can be filled internaly with dirt and mud from lord knows how long ago ! I dont think I would drill any holes in the stringers - since they are a load bearing member which gives stiffness to the hull bottom. At least I wouldn't drill one in the middle. What you might do however is drill one in the top upper surface of the stringer out at the very end - maybe 1 inch form the end. Then make a small wooden plug to go into the open end of the stringer. Drilling the last inch shouldn't have any dire ramifications. BUT ..... I have notices that on the floor stringers in the clipper .. they left about an inch of space between the end of the stringer and the inside edge of the hull. I was thinking I might build a small square snout which would just fit into the end of the stringer and have a water hose fitting on the other end. That way you could pressureise and blow out any junk out the other end. 60 year old wet mud will definately corrode throuh a hull. I think the outside stringers need the same treatment too. They are open from the back though I think. Maybe a long piece of 1/4 inch tubing connected to the water hose should do it.

Rich - have you used 2 part epoxy primer before ? Probably the best there is for protection. However to get full performance and adhesion you have to clean and aldyne the aluminum before using it. ( thats what they use when restoring and old aluminum airplane)
You can get plain type ( at automotive paint stores) or get a chromate/phosphate type for extra corrosion protection. Once that is on the inside you could just leave it that way if you wanted. - since it is epoxy. Or you could put a color coat over it if desired.

DEFINATELY yes on the battery box. some old aluminum boats didnt have them. Fortunately the clipper do if they havnt been removed.

cyclops2

Banned

I use ...ONLY... pliable paint. Reason. The expansion & contraction of Aluminum is so great with temperature compared to plastic & wood boats.
Old fashioned Zinc / Chromate is perfectly O K. It has never peeled or split on any Aluminum I use. A dark colored hull can really get hot in the full sun with reflected sun off the water surface. My bare polished bench seat is FAR FAR hotter than any light color. Need to use a white towel on it in the 16' footer boat.

supagidget

Seaman Apprentice

Does anyone know where to get a really good image or replica of the Orlando Clipper logo that was oval shaped and adhered to the back gunnel of the aluminium boats? I would love to put the logo back on my 1965 16 foot Orlando Clipper.

Thank you.

mikeaga

Seaman Apprentice

The man that made these emblems is still in business. If you need i can get his name. I just got emblems in the fall.

supagidget

Seaman Apprentice

Please forward me his information. How much did they cost?

mikeaga

Seaman Apprentice

Please forward me his information. How much did they cost?

The company is J.D. Wilson Signs. They are located on the east side of orlando. The phone number is 407-678-2592. I do not think they were that much because I did not pay for them. Someone I know got them for me. Mike

mikeaga

Seaman Apprentice

I am an Orlando clipper owner (which I am restoring). I noticed that there are quite a few Orlando Clipper owners in central florida which have made their presance known on iboats. I have also noticed that many owners don't know much about them other than that they love them. We need to share ideas and skills and experience. I know a feathercraft collector here in orlando who brought up the idea of an antique aluminum boat club. Maybe one loosely knitted together but having a monthly or bi-monthly E-News letter. We were thinking primairily of the 50's and up to mid 60's aluminum runabouts of all brands. Wood and glass counterparts would be welcome too. Also his idea was that it could be an activity oriented club - maybe water daytrips ? Water picnics ? Also it would be a family oriented club. He thought we could meet also at the local AOMCI and antique club that allreadty meets anyway. What better way to introduce grandkids to boats.! and great grandkids !

If you have an Orlando clipper, feathercraft, alumacraft, lone star, cadillac or other - if you are interested in participating - please send me a private message with your return E-Mail so we can send you e-mails as it takes shape ! ( If we get some members ......)

Our aluminum boats have special needs to care for them and preserve them in a way that they may last another 50 years. If we share our knowlege and skills - that is good for everyone !

Best wishes
Tim B.

I have a 1960 Orlando Clipper with a 40 hp Johnson. my e-mail is wdtrnr82aol.com Mike A.

J WINTER

Recruit

Best wishes
Tim B.

Yes-I own an aluminum 1961 Orlando Clipper. Hull # 547-000DTB61. According to their old catalog they called it a "Floridian" (15'10"). Please put me on your email list. Thanks, John Craig, Sr. jwcraig@bellsouth.net

J WINTER

Recruit

Yes-I own an aluminum 1961 Orlando Clipper. Hull # 547-000DTB61. According to their old catalog they called it a "Floridian" (15'10"). Please put me on your email list. Thanks, John Craig, Sr. jwcraig@bellsouth.net

Status
Not open for further replies.