What to know/Do at Put in Bay/Lake Erie

Status
Not open for further replies.

jallen100

Seaman Apprentice
So I am starting to feel confident enough to make the trip to Lake Erie, about a 2 hr drive. I have been out about 10 times this year at our local lakes to get use to the boat and get the hang of everything. Anyways I have never been on Lake Erie on our boat so is there anything I need to know before we head up there? Anything I need to be careful of or watch out for? I have heard the biggest thing to be careful of is the weather.

I have heard my boat is great for Lake Erie, 21.5' Thompson carrera 205 with 4.3 merc alpha 1.

Where are good places to camp while on the boat or tie the boat up for the night to camp?

What are some fun things to do up there?

What is the best place to launch from? I was thinking Port Clinton.

jhebert

Ensign
Re: What to know/Do at Put in Bay/Lake Erie

If you go to Put-in-Bay, try to avoid getting arrested for drunk and disorderly conduct.

tswiczko

Master Chief Petty Officer

The docks in the bay have over night docking, they usually charge by the foot and if you use electric or not may affect the price, there is a state park with a campground and there are several B&B's on the Island.

here is a link to events on the island http://www.putinbay.com/calendar.htm
here is another link for docks at PIB http://www.pibinfo.com/dockage.html

and here is a link to active captain, you may want to check this out as well. https://activecaptain.com/

Usually about an hour after sunset the lake calms down a little. Get a noaa navigational map and study it there are some shallow places and a restricted area at camp perry but they broadcast on the marine weathewr radio if the will be firing that day or not. A good VHF would be a great thing for you to have as well.
Cedar Point is fun too.
Good luck. I hope you enjoy the Islands

freckles336

Recruit

I've launched from Marblehead. It's a new park, safe and a decent launch.
Lake Erie can be a sweetie or a wench, depending on the wind. I've seen it both ways. We usually leave a day or two's worth of wiggle room in case it blows up and we can't get back in time. Now for the fun stuff....

The public docks on the weekends fill up fast. You usually have to be there by Friday morning to get a spot. There's mandatory rafting of four out -- meaning the first guy ties up to the dock, then someone ties off him, someone else off him until you have four. I've got low freeboard so I'm usually the fourth one out and that means I'm walking on swimplatforms to get to the dock. Bring a rug or runner if you don't want folks walking on your vinyl or deck (and be courteous and don't wear black-soled shoes, heels, etc.).

The folks at the public docks party -- on their boats. There's no open intoxicants allowed off the boats; not on the docks (you'll get a ticket), not walking to the bars (you'll get a ticket), not with one foot on your boat and one foot on the dock (you'll get a ticket). LEO walk the docks with drug sniffing dogs, so if you have a pal with contraband, they may want to leave it home.

Bars and restaurants are within walking (staggering) distance from the public docks. There are public washrooms with showers (take $2-3 in quarters for a decent shower) and souvenier shops to buy t-shirts, beads, hats, sunscreen, etc. Make sure you get some lobster bisque at the Boardwalk and drink a bucket of beer at the Roundhouse.

Rent a golf cart and see Perry's monument, the caves, visit a winery and the runway bar, but don't drive drunk, you will get a ticket for driving a golf cart under the influence. PIB has a little jail and every summer they seem to "deputize" college kids to keep peace. Oh, and EMS does make "boat calls" if a member of your party gets dehydrated from too much fun. Two bags of saline and some Zofran later, all was good.

Have a great time!!

Status
Not open for further replies.