Crossing Lake Ontario: Rochester to Toronto

hostage

Lieutenant
I am thinking of doing this in my run about. I have a 19ft Cuddy w/ a 4.3L. I wanted to see if it was really dangerous with my boat size. I have a 35gal tank.

If I did, it would require a lot of planning etc, I know that I just wanted to find out what others thought before I start doing research into this. I would require everyone to wear life jackets and I would keep my VHF on and ready, just in case.

I have taken it out on the lake and gone from Irondiquoit Bay to the Gen. River, as well as other outings on the lake, though nothing this far.

Thanks in advance,

-Hostage

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Crossing Lake Onatrio: Rochester to Toronto

Google earth shows that as roughly 87 miles one way (as the crow flies). Can you make it over 100 miles on 35 gal of gas? In rough water, into wind etc. Even if you could make it on gas, I would not go that far offshore in that boat. But that's just me.

hostage

Lieutenant

I was thinking of doing a longer run closer to the shoreline, crossing into Canada in Niagara on the Lake. I could top off there then do a sprint across the short part of the lake to Toronto

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Crossing Lake Ontario: Rochester to Toronto

Just a perspective from related experience: I ran an 18' open bow with a 4.3L to Catalina Island, which was about 30 miles from the marina. That's as far out in the open sea I've gone in a small boat. The safety concerns for your adventure are obvious. You could get there ok, then have the weather change and be stuck there. I'm not familiar with the weather patterns on Lake Ontario, but the ocean here is pretty predictable most of the year.
On Lake Mead I've gone over 150 miles in one day no problem in the same boat.. but that's Lake Mead which is known to have unpredictable winds come up.
My 4.3 averaged over 3.5 MPG cruising the way I had it propped, so your fuel should be fine in calm seas if wifisher's calc's are correct.
Just for safety's sake, I would recommend going with another boat if you haven't done it before.

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer

That sounds a lot better to me. It is only a 25ish mile crossing. Should give you a little reserve gas. 19 ft is still a little on the small side in my mind, but I know people do it all the time. Have fun, and let us know how it turns out.

Dick Sorensen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Let me add my two cents. I agree with 'wifisher.' 35 gals....what do you guess....3 miles to a gallon? That gives you plenty for potentia problems....running at 20 miles an hour you'll see the radio tower coming up on the horizon about 45 minutes out....you'll be re-fuelling in Toronto an hour and 15 minutes after leaving Niagara...(Toronto has one of the world's greatest marine waterfronts.....) Assuming you are a rational adult.....go for it.....I am constantly amazed that us 'Americans' ever accomplished anything by all the 'doom & gloom' prophets that tell us what we can't do.....Lake Ontario was explored by explorers in open, 20 foot bark canoes....for hundreds of years! And, here we are, at this advance stage of evolution, fearful of running across 25 to 50 miles of open water....Enjoy the trip...post some pictures.

hostage

Lieutenant

Thanks for the pointers so far, it isn't such a bad idea to go with another boat.

captk

Petty Officer 1st Class

To take a boat into and out of Canada you need special permits, check with the coast guard and or customs to get what you need ahead of a night mare. Sounds like a great trip enjoy.

scipper77

Commander

Well I guess I am one of the doom and gloom types. A 19' boat is considered a small craft. If the lake conditions are on your side you will have no problems. However if the lake gets rough on you, you will not be able to navigate it and might get stuck in one of the many bays/inlets along the way.

If you plan this out properly you should be able to safely make the trip but there is a good chance that you will not be able to make it in one continuous trip due to the unpredictable nature of lake Ontario. Make sure you have a good radio, and a GPS to report your location should you get in trouble. Also have a float plan and someone at home who knows it so that should you go missing, rescuers will know where to look for you.

I personally would never try that in anything less than a 24' boat. 30' would be better.

hostage

Lieutenant

Well I guess I am one of the doom and gloom types. A 19' boat is considered a small craft. If the lake conditions are on your side you will have no problems. However if the lake gets rough on you, you will not be able to navigate it and might get stuck in one of the many bays/inlets along the way.

If you plan this out properly you should be able to safely make the trip but there is a good chance that you will not be able to make it in one continuous trip due to the unpredictable nature of lake Ontario. Make sure you have a good radio, and a GPS to report your location should you get in trouble. Also have a float plan and someone at home who knows it so that should you go missing, rescuers will know where to look for you.

I personally would never try that in anything less than a 24' boat. 30' would be better.

I do have a coworker who is former coat guard, so I am going to ask him what all I should consider. I am going to wear a lifevest the whole time during this journey. I will also keep my handheld VHF attached to the life vest. I do have a GPS device as well with Navionics on it. I will also let a lot of people know where I am and where I am going.

Dick Sorensen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What's so 'nightmarish' about boating into Canada....once you get ashore make the call / have your passport....go about enjoying the place! Gee ..... that was hard!

beagleboy

Seaman

I live 1 hr north of Toronto and work in Toronto. No you don't need special permits. Yes you need to call customs when you dock and don't move until you have made the call. I'm not familiar with any marina on the mainland (downtown area) but there is a yacht club on Toronto Island with a Regional Airport which is probably where your customs phone call goes to. There is a marina at Ontario Place which is a littles ways west of downtown (public transit available). Years ago I did this trip in a 20 footer no problem. We kept an eye on the weather and didn't go looking for trouble in this regard. This trip is not a big deal at all. On a nice day the water can be glass all the way across.

bucko217

Recruit

It's all about the weather!!! I have sailed all over this lake. Get a no wind day and you'll be across in a few hours. Now getting a 2nd flat water day to return...that might require a wait. Go early morning before the wind picks up. Bring a GPS! A much better idea might be to trailer the boat over to Canada and launch over there or take a week and run the shoreline in short hops. Why not work up to this by making a few trips on the US side? Plan a trip to Sodus Bay for example so you can duck in somewhere if weather deteriorates. Gaining experience and not being in a hurry will pay off. Have you taken a power squadron course?

hostage

Lieutenant

It's all about the weather!!! I have sailed all over this lake. Get a no wind day and you'll be across in a few hours. Now getting a 2nd flat water day to return...that might require a wait. Go early morning before the wind picks up. Bring a GPS! A much better idea might be to trailer the boat over to Canada and launch over there or take a week and run the shoreline in short hops. Why not work up to this by making a few trips on the US side? Plan a trip to Sodus Bay for example so you can duck in somewhere if weather deteriorates. Gaining experience and not being in a hurry will pay off. Have you taken a power squadron course?

That is exactly what I was planning. I don't want to do such a long trip w/o a little practice. I also would like to do a trip to sodus. Have you ever done that?

Dick Sorensen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hostage....there is an active 'squadron' of the United States Power Squadron in Rochester....you can go to the web page at www.rochester-boating.org.....or look them up at Iroquois Sail and Power Squadron. The USPS is a volunteer organization dedicated to boating education....any of those sites mentioned above will have a listing of the various classes offered.....I really thought I was quite a 'waterman' until I got into the advance classes....everything from seamanship thru marine electronics....one that would help you get to Toronto..'cruise planning'...anyway besides education they have a social side, public service ang you get to hang over the side of a boat with other folks who like to hang over the side of boats....they have an ABC course starting May 21st.....you might enjoy it.....just my two cents....

bucko217

Recruit

That is exactly what I was planning. I don't want to do such a long trip w/o a little practice. I also would like to do a trip to sodus. Have you ever done that?

Back in the 90's I circumnavigated Lake Ontario. I guess it was to satisfy my Columbus gene. I did it in a 35 ft. sailboat. It was a wonderful trip which I highly recommend. We did it in 17 days, taking in the sights along the way. My first boat was purchased at Sodus Bay back in 1987. Whew, that was a long time ago!!!! Anyway, Sodus would be a great trip for you, as would Fairhaven Bay further over. The good thing about doing it in a small boat is you can duck in easily when weather changes. You will enjoy the power squadron course and it will build confidence.
Steve

amanphoto

Petty Officer 1st Class

We are planning on doing the same trip. I'm still looking at routes. A friend of mine did it on a jetski. Went from Rochester along the lake to Wilson. Then at Wilson shot straight across. At Wilson it is only 30 miles across.

DianneB

Petty Officer 1st Class

I grew up on the north shore of Erie and lots of people made the trek from Port Dover (Ontario) to Erie Pa. on a regular basis. I have seen smaller boats (20 foot class) make the trip on a calm day but they usually ran fast, near WOT, to make the crossing quickly since the weather (wind) could change a lot in a couple of hours. Making the crossing and returning means being smart enough to wait out the weather as long as it takes to do so safely.