calling all lake mead boaters! nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander
Re: calling all lake mead boaters! nevada

Got some more good elevation news from the National Park Service - Lake Mead National Recreation Area:
Looks like its going to be a good summer with a 97% chance of getting extra water this year for Lake Mead. We're projected to have about a foot more water this Memorial Day weekend than we did last Memorial Day weekend.

Here's a chart they just released showing they will be increasing their 'Most Probable Inflow' predictions: Clicky

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

Nat'l Park service - Lake Mead: Boulder Harbor launch ramp construction is coming along. The bay and new ramp will go down to an elevation of 1060' an increase of about 20 feet of elevation. We are still on track to have it open in May.

Pretty amazing they're going to have to break that temporary dam and let over 35' ele. of water in :eek:

Attachments

• 200928_10150243386685828_59929675827_9078481_5369170_o.jpg
    200928_10150243386685828_59929675827_9078481_5369170_o.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 0

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

Nat'l Park service - Lake Mead: Boulder Harbor launch ramp construction is coming along. The bay and new ramp will go down to an elevation of 1060' an increase of about 20 feet of elevation. We are still on track to have it open in May.

Pretty amazing they're going to have to break that temporary dam and let over 35' ele. of water in :eek:

wow thats a cool photo, i didnt know they were doing that there. Do they plan on moving marina there after they release water, or maybe perhaps build a small campground, that would be awesome of course, above water line so as lake goes up and down campers will always be close to water.by the way my boat is finished and im ready for fishing hard core.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

Looks like they may be slowing down at 1096' . . . http://www.usbr.gov/lc/region/g4000/hourly/rivops.html

Havasu on Saturday:

attachment.php

sweet boat, i usto dance for a dj company under the bridge there on the ramp when i was 19.just thought id share some old times.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

I'm thinking there will be a population explosion at Mead if they keep all the new brush submerged for a year or 2. That along with gizzard shad getting into Mead, let's hope the fishing goes nuts in the next couple years. Got my fingers crossed....

man we need the fishing to do something,the stripers are all small it seems and large mouths are looking about the same.

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

Mead to receive extra water from feds: Clicky

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

wow thats a cool photo, i didnt know they were doing that there. Do they plan on moving marina there after they release water, or maybe perhaps build a small campground, that would be awesome of course, above water line so as lake goes up and down campers will always be close to water.by the way my boat is finished and im ready for fishing hard core.

I believe they're just improving with the new permenent concrete ramp, not moving the marina.

John3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Upper Lake Mead is a place I?d love to get back to. We like to go in a group, 2 boats minimum.
For years, back when the San Fernando Valley Power Squadron had an active trailer boating group, we would go on Thanksgiving weekend, launch at Temple Bar, camp on the beach with our boats & have a Thanksgiving Feast. On Friday we would cruise up stream to the Lower Granite Gorge of the Grand Canyon. It has some of the most beautiful scenery in the world with red sandstone mile high canyon walls. One of Natures Wonders.
Entering the Canyon is a bit tricky, there is a natural River Delta complete with sand bars. So it?s best to go with several boats, at least 2, when one runs aground the other can pull him off.
We would go about 30 miles into the Canyon, to a place called "Separation Canyon". There is a bronze plaque on the Wall commemorating the spot where some of the members of the Powell expedition left the main group & were killed by Indians.
It's worth the trip. People travel from all over the world to see the Grand Canyon. Not many get to see it looking up from their own boat.
Anyone planning on going, please let me know!

QC

Supreme Mariner

Totally with you John:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Grand Canyon 2.jpg
    Grand Canyon 2.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 0

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

Ok lake mead boaters,I have one for you to research this summer.Just tell me the campground and site number and ill give you a (new) fishing pole worth $45.00.Yes this is for real but its pick up only ok. If u want ill meet you there and give it to you.The first right answer will be the winner and i will contact you.

Attachments

• camping 2010 009.jpg
    camping 2010 009.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 0

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

So it?s best to go with several boats, at least 2, when one runs aground the other can pull him off.

Had to laugh <sorry> ..so WHEN one runs aground..that's funny, but seriously could be a nightmare if someone got hurt.
We've done that run many times to separation canyon, where the 'no upstream' travel' buoy is. That sandy beach there where the river rafters stop on the left, going up, is a great place to bbq and take in the scenery. It's about 130 mile round-trip from Temple Bar.
No one has ever run aground aground in our group except me - on a stand-up of all things. Couldn't see 2 inches in that muddy water.
I would love to go up again, but there are now small impassable waterfalls (going upstream in a boat) between hell's kitchen and pierce ferry. Someone drown going down one of them in a raft a few months ago. Didn't have a life jacket on and got caught up in the hydraulics.
With the lake on it's way up, maybe things will change in the future:cool:

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

Ok lake mead boaters,I have one for you to research this summer.Just tell me the campground and site number and ill give you a (new) fishing pole worth $45.00.Yes this is for real but its pick up only ok. If u want ill meet you there and give it to you.The first right answer will be the winner and i will contact you.

Calville space 8

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

CURRENT MARINA/RAMP CONDITIONS LAKE MEAD AREA
As of 4-15-2011

National Park Week, Apr. 16-24 entrance fees waived

* Callville Bay
o Main Launch Ramp - CLOSED
o New Launch Ramp - OPEN / 4 lanes launching from concrete ramp (10 % grade / approx 5 ft. depth 50 ft from shore).
o Callville Bay Marina - OPEN
* Hemenway Harbor
o Launch Ramp - OPEN / 6 lanes launching from concrete ramp - shallow water (5% grade / approx. 3-5 ft. depth 100 ft from shore).
o Las Vegas Boat Harbor Marina - OPEN
o Lake Mead Marina - OPEN
* Boulder Harbor
o Launch Ramp - CLOSED FOR CONSTRUCTION / 0 lanes launching from asphalt below new permanent concrete launch ramp - shallow water (7% grade / approx 6-7 ft depth 100 ft. from shore) Estimated opening May 2011
* Echo Bay
o Main Launch Ramp - OPEN / 8 launch lanes from concrete ramp (8% grade / approx 5-8 ft. depth 60-100 ft. from shore)
o New Launch Ramp - CLOSED / 8 launch lanes from concrete ramp (10% grade/ approx 8-10 ft. depth 100 ft. from shore)
o Echo Bay Marina - OPEN
* Southcove
o Launch Ramp - OPEN / 4 launch lane launching from concrete ramp (9% grade / approx 4.5 ft. depth 50 ft. from shore).
* Temple Bar
o Launch Ramp - OPEN / 4 lanes launching from concrete ramp (4% grade 3-4 ft. depth 80 ft. from shore).
o Temple Bar Marina - OPEN
* Las Vegas Bay
o Launch Ramp - CLOSED
* Overton Beach
o Launch Ramp - CLOSED
o Access Road - CLOSED TO VEHICLES
* Road Closures/Traffic Advisories:
o Lakeshore Rd./Northshore Rd. - Saturday 4/16/2011 Triathalon event, watch for competitors on the roadway.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

current marina/ramp conditions lake mead area
as of 4-15-2011

national park week, apr. 16-24 entrance fees waived

* callville bay
o main launch ramp - closed
o new launch ramp - open / 4 lanes launching from concrete ramp (10 % grade / approx 5 ft. Depth 50 ft from shore).
O callville bay marina - open
* hemenway harbor
o launch ramp - open / 6 lanes launching from concrete ramp - shallow water (5% grade / approx. 3-5 ft. Depth 100 ft from shore).
O las vegas boat harbor marina - open
o lake mead marina - open
* boulder harbor
o launch ramp - closed for construction / 0 lanes launching from asphalt below new permanent concrete launch ramp - shallow water (7% grade / approx 6-7 ft depth 100 ft. From shore) estimated opening may 2011
* echo bay
o main launch ramp - open / 8 launch lanes from concrete ramp (8% grade / approx 5-8 ft. Depth 60-100 ft. From shore)
o new launch ramp - closed / 8 launch lanes from concrete ramp (10% grade/ approx 8-10 ft. Depth 100 ft. From shore)
o echo bay marina - open
* southcove
o launch ramp - open / 4 launch lane launching from concrete ramp (9% grade / approx 4.5 ft. Depth 50 ft. From shore).
* temple bar
o launch ramp - open / 4 lanes launching from concrete ramp (4% grade 3-4 ft. Depth 80 ft. From shore).
O temple bar marina - open
* las vegas bay
o launch ramp - closed
* overton beach
o launch ramp - closed
o access road - closed to vehicles
* road closures/traffic advisories:
o lakeshore rd./northshore rd. - saturday 4/16/2011 triathalon event, watch for competitors on the roadway.

thanks for all the great info.

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

calville was correct, space had to be a guess, but facing east was right.

you got me..the space was a total guess. I ruled out t-bar, echo and the south shore of boulder basin. I kinda recognized the hill with the path, but we haven't stayed at calville for 15+ years so it was a long shot :cool:

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

1 person injured in small plane crash at Temple Bar :CLICKY:

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

that sucks, I hope the pilot is ok, plane looks beat up. looks like the pilot made a good run of it though.

Yea, i heard he should be OK. Looks like he went across the upper parking area and landed up near the fuel station.

I'll be out there next week for Temple Bar Days, 4/29, 30 & 5/1. Anyone wanna come out for some good times visit the FB pages for more info, or just come out!: clicky1 clicky2

Hope to see you there!

Status
Not open for further replies.