calling all lake mead boaters! nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skiya

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: calling all lake mead boaters! nevada

Guess i'll see you out there Dan, we will be out Saturday.

Woody, the narrows can actually be safer when it's windy/white cap conditions. It's the wide open areas like heading back to LVBH that can be brutal. That's why I prefer to launch from Callville. It don't add that much more drive time, 10 mins, not more than 15 mins. maybe. Plus if the lake conditions do go bad, I won't have to go as far on the water.

Skiya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The trailer was being backed down for recovery when it start fishtail and the gas was punched instead the breaks. I had to watch the whole thing from the water. With the insurance I got a new trailer w/ disc brakes and LED lights all around. The insurance company didn't want the old trailer and sold it back to me for $1.00. 48 hrs on Craigslist and its sold.

QC

Supreme Mariner

FWIW, that is a classic Jacknife. Bummer.

kemer1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Scratch that idea, the run to the lake was a bit more eventful then I expected. The brakes, which were just rebuilt mind you, overheated and boiled over. Fluid all over the wheel and tire, huge amount of smoke and that was just driving down the freeway. What do you wanna bet they adjusted them too tight. So its sitting back at the dealership again. I swear this is getting ridiculous. Hopefully they'll get it back before tomorrow. Damn Marine Center. Once all this is figured out I'm never stepping foot in that place again.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Winds can make the narrows uncross able- really that bad? How do those 21' rentals work/handle given the issues with waves when blowing?
To be clear, it's not the Narrows, it's the basin on the other side. However, it can be quite rough inside the Narrows from concentrated boat wakes. Definitely worth seeing. The other side (Virgin Basin) can be magical, but she can turn ugly in an instant. Even Boulder Basin can be very scary but at least they can find you ;)

Really doesn't matter if it is 18 or 30 ft, this is really more about experience. You may get beat up a little with 21 ft., but you should be fine.

If it's calm we will see about getting to the wishing well and sounds like a morning run to see the dam is a better plan.
Yeah, morning to the dam is a good plan.

What else is there to do in and around calville? I only heard about the Hacienda photo wall at LVBH.
There's nothing around Calville that I know about.

kemer1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So then turns out that those brand new wheel cylinders they rebuilt our braking system with were faulty and not retracting and burned through a new set of brake shoes in less then 40 miles. Just cooked the whole drum and all. Brand new parts dammit! Ugh!

fishrdan

Admiral

The trailer was being backed down for recovery when it start fishtail and the gas was punched instead the breaks. I had to watch the whole thing from the water.

Definite bummer.........

Carp happens though. I was packing up for a trip, delegating this and that to the minions and "I" forgot to double check everything before hitting the road. Pulling out of our driveway I look back in the rear view mirror to see the boat turning right as I was turning left :eek: The pin for the swing tongue was left out, but I blame myself since I didn't double check it. I even have a system where the safety chain quick links, boat keys and trailer lock keys are all hooked onto the trailer pin, so the pin isn't forgotten, but it didn't work in this case. The truck only suffered a dent in the tail gate and a cracked tail light, so we got off easy........

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

There is much to see around calville,if you drive straight across the lake from the marina to the arizona side the burros drink there often,if you continue on and hug the shore and drive toward the narrows you will see the bighorn sheep with a closeful eye above you.just as you give up and think there not there suddenly they appear every time for me.if you make the right hand turn into the narrows you have gone too far right now.during fall the bighorn sheep come down right off the main point where calville meets boulder basin.you can see there trails on google earth.

Skiya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There is much to see around calville,if you drive straight across the lake from the marina to the arizona side the burros drink there often,if you continue on and hug the shore and drive toward the narrows you will see the bighorn sheep with a closeful eye above you.just as you give up and think there not there suddenly they appear every time for me.if you make the right hand turn into the narrows you have gone too far right now.during fall the bighorn sheep come down right off the main point where calville meets boulder basin.you can see there trails on google earth.

This was taken in Firebowl cove just next to Callville.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I think he meant by car. Agree there is lots by Calville by water.

Woody62

Cadet

To be clear, it's not the Narrows, it's the basin on the other side. However, it can be quite rough inside the Narrows from concentrated boat wakes. Definitely worth seeing. The other side (Virgin Basin) can be magical, but she can turn ugly in an instant. Even Boulder Basin can be very scary but at least they can find you ;)

Really doesn't matter if it is 18 or 30 ft, this is really more about experience. You may get beat up a little with 21 ft., but you should be fine.

Yeah, morning to the dam is a good plan.

Ahh, that makes sense on the Narrows. Looks like is need to scale back plans as many have indicated. Good to know all the things in Boulder will keep me busy. I have boated for years, just in on business and wanted to take some time to enjoy the experience so renting. i guess we"ll see how my captain skills are...

There's nothing around Calville that I know about.

Ok, I see. More from Calville by boat. I was interested in the Bayliner from LVBH as I think it allows 2 to lay out unlike the Ebbtide from Calville?? That was the only reason why LVBH over Calville, but I may reconsider given the cruise back at the end of the day...

I have Navionics and fishidy on my phone- both offer GPS with dept contours which is why I needed cell coverage.

Woody

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

I have Navionics

I just checked out that app. It has good ratings, and I would like some navigation for at night so I downloaded it. Thanks for the tip. :)

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

We had a good week on the lake. The lake gods were good to us once again.

Someone in the trailer village found a really cool natural cave in the Gypsum Bay area while hiking last year, complete with stalactites and all. We finally got a chance to hike up there, but my dogs were getting hot feet in the sandy wash that leads up to it and I had to turn back. The rest of the group that went with me got to see it. Oh well, next time.

I had to bring my boat into Boulder on the way home to get some work done. I took it to Vogue Marine since I've had good luck with Don in the past. My thumb trim switch on the throttle quit working to put the o/d down, but up worked fine, and it's not the switch as I replaced that :confused: Luckily I have a stern switch I was able to use. My reverse is acting funny as well. Going in, it acts like it's out of adjustment but I think it may be the cone gear. They're also doing tires because mine are 10 years old now and even though there's only maybe 2000 miles on them, I know about tire issues too and don't want any! :)

Here's a pic of the beach by Mushroom with the group from T-Bar on the 4th. We had a large group this time for sure BBQ-ing on the beach :cool:

Mead 7.4.13.jpg

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

you know its super hot when the easy up shades are half in the water.looks like no one made it onto the dry sand by day.except who ever took this photo.i would have brought 3 cold ones to take this photo lol.

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

you know its super hot when the easy up shades are half in the water.looks like no one made it onto the dry sand by day.except who ever took this photo.i would have brought 3 cold ones to take this photo lol.

So true jj! It was hot no doubt, but we had a nice breeze from the north coming straight at us off the water which cooled it down a good 15 degrees. The sand was hot when I walked up to take this shot, but even at a mere 75 feet away from the water and shade, all the cold ones start to warm up :target:

The second day we were at the marina, I saw emergency vehicles, mercy air, and about 5 or 6 ranger vehicles pull in because 3 young girls got carbon monoxide poisoning in a houseboat due to lack of ventilation trying to keep it cool inside.

I haven't checked but I'm sure we set some more temp records in the last 2 weeks :faint2:

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

This was taken in Firebowl cove just next to Callville.

That's an awesome shot skiya. You don't see a herd that big very often..at least we don't in our part of the lake. How many are in the pic? ***guess this alert***:happy:

Skiya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's an awesome shot skiya. You don't see a herd that big very often..at least we don't in our part of the lake. How many are in the pic? ***guess this alert***:happy:

Yes that is a large herd, they were actually waiting for a few stragglers still down at the water. It was something to see them all come down out of nowhere and head to the water.

Looks like you had a good time over the 4th.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

So true jj! It was hot no doubt

I now what it takes to survive a weekend like that,,i give all the boaters promps!! Keeping mead alive at all costs i see,walmart sells portable misters now that will help a little for future trips,but your gonna need a good filter on it to run meads water.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

A very nice group of big horns i agree but instead of saying blackjack i really like the 2nd one from left to right.

still workin on me boat.sundeck is finished,maybe october i splash

Status
Not open for further replies.