This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Put In Bay / PIB trip to the Eire Islands/ South Bass island

Well since I cant seem to find a good blog about Put In Bay Ohio I thought I would document our annual trip to PIB incase another captain would like to go to the Erie islands. You can always go to www.putinbay.com
    Its all done with mirrors.....

Re: Put In Bay / PIB trip to the Eire Islands/ South Bass island

I love the Erie Islands but haven't been to them in a couple of years.

http://www.shoresandislands.com/
    There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage. Mark Twain
    T
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails. ~William Arthur Ward

Never argue with a fool, people might not know the difference.

Comment

Christmas in July at PIB is this weekend. It's well worth a trip over there if you can make it. It will be crowded, but it's the ultimate in PIB party weekends.

Comment

PIB rocks! Haven't been this year but we're planning on a trip over in August.

I tried to contain myself...but I escaped!

Scott & Roxanne
        1989 Carver Santego 30
        Twin Merc 5.7L Alphas

Comment

t-3 days....

Comment

I've been wondering about Put-In-Bay and where to dock when you get to the island. Do they have public slips that you can dock at or how does that work?

Comment

Yes they have public docks and mooring buoys. You pull up to the docks and pay the dock master. Its something like .60 cents a running foot for your boat per day. I personally LOVe the mooring buoys bc you can just pull into the harbor and tie your boat up and call the "water taxi" on the VHf to come pick you up and take you to the island,(they run until 1 AM ). This way when you want to sleep its really quite away from all the party boats and your boat is safe(not tied off of some moron).

Comment

Hey guys,

I'm still new to boating. I have a 19' open bow runabout. Are those 2-3' swells too big for me? I'm from Indiana, and my wife is from near there and it would be fun to take the boat and get from Cedar Point to the islands on my boat.

Am I too small?

Comment

Your boat is fine for a nice day on Erie. Nice days on Eire are few and far between. Problem is when it's not nice it gets ugly out there fast. We went from Sandusky Bay to PIB earlier this month. When we left Sandusky winds were 10-15 gusting and the ride over was 'interesting'. I remember telling the harbormaster that I wouldn't have wanted to be out there in anything much smaller.

I tried to contain myself...but I escaped!

Scott & Roxanne
                  1989 Carver Santego 30
                  Twin Merc 5.7L Alphas

Comment

Niice, thanks for the advice! Now, I'm wondering, how we go about making the determination if its a nice day before making the hour drive...it's a pretty relative term, but do you know of any decent websites that give accurate to semi-accurate surf/chop/swell reports? or should I call a local marina and take "some guys" word on it to determine if we hit up Erie or Charles Mill lake?

Comment

I Use the near-shore marine forecast from the national weather service. Waves 'two feet or less' would be a nice day. Still, the lake can change rapidly so you have to keep a close eye on the sky and the water. Six foot waves don't sound big until they are crashing over your bow!
                      1968 Chris Craft Lancer 23
                      Chris Craft 350/Volvo Penta AQ270
                      "Peasant's Pride II"

Comment

Originally posted by jgoeden View Post
                        Hey guys,

I'm still new to boating. I have a 19' open bow runabout. Are those 2-3' swells too big for me? I'm from Indiana, and my wife is from near there and it would be fun to take the boat and get from Cedar Point to the islands on my boat.

Am I too small?
                        I have a 19' open bow and boat lake erie all the time. 2 weekends ago we went out cruising the along the coast. When we left there was about 1 ft waves and about an hour later there was at least 4 footers and let me tell you it made for a very interesting ride. I couldn't get back inside the break wall fast enough. for me and our open bow anything over 2-3 ft can get ugly quick.
                        Starcraft Chieftain V21 Sea Ray 210CC SXL

sigpic

Comment

How do you guys feel my 22 foot open bow sea ray would do on Lake Erie? I'm not talking about going miles out to where you can't even see land, but I'm talking about trips from say port Clinton to Sandusky and up and around Put-In-Bay.

Comment

your 22 footer will do just fine, yes the lake can pick up, however i grew up crossing the lake from michigan to Put In Bay in my 21ft CC and it was no problem. You just will have to go slow and could end up being a long trip. You have to remember Lake Erie is totally different from any other lake bc it is shallow. You will see lots of choppy small waves....no way around these, cant avoid them, just slowing down and fighting through them is the only way sometimes out at PIB(but thats what makes the trip fun and worht while). Pt Clinton to PIB is only 9-10 miles tops, its a safe run, even in rough seas its a safe run, you are sorrunded by land, and ferry's are passing by every 20 mins. Always remember you can leave EARLY or LATE and you will increase the odds of you have a smooooooth ride over.

Comment

Working...
                            X