Customs Clearance

christianL

Seaman Apprentice
A question to those who have somewhat recently taken their pleasure boat to the Bahamas and back:

I'm researching the current travel requirements relating to exiting the US (from Pt. Everglades, Lauderdale), going to Bimini, Bahamas, and coming back a week later. As with any government operation, finding CONSISTENT information is a task.:confused: Anyone who has made the trip,what exactly did you do before you left and when you re-entered the U.S.? 22 ft. pleasure boat.

Thanks for the help!

ftl900

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Customs Clearance

I'm looking at making this trip next year about this time, so I'm listening to all the information I can get. :rolleyes:

ifallsguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Having worked (and resigned) from Homeland Security I can tell you from experience consistency is something that doesn't exist inside the department.
You will find MANY excellent people working for customs/border patrol and TSA who try to do their job by the book, with courtesy.

But you have to be aware there are also MANY, for lack of a better term, cowboys out there who abuse their positions and go by how they interpret the rules.

Suggestions:

1) Have a VALID US passport for each individual traveling. This is required. While a US citizen cannot be denied entry, they can make it H**L for you and it can hours for what should be 5 minutes. Also, Customs can issue you a one day US Passport, if you don't have yours. Cost is $350 for the one day. Cheaper and easier to have a valid passport.

2) Have a US Coast Guard Voluntary Inspection prior to your trip. If you pass, you get a decal to put in your windshield. This does not promise you won't have an issue but might get across you do try to go by the book yourself.

3) Never argue with an inspector. If you feel (or are being) mistreated by an inspector, calmly ask for a Supervisor. You have the right to talk to a supervisor no matter what the inspector says. The Supervisor is there to make sure things are running right. Explain the problem as you see it. Don't get emotional, just state the facts. You have the right to ask why something is being done and should be given an explanation.

4) Never try to be funny with the inspector. You don't know what type of day he/she has had. You would not believe the insults, jokes, etc these people get. They do appreciate a customer (that is how they refer to inspectees) who works them and treats them as professional.

5) When it comes to inspections, you might have all your purchases together, making it easier for the inspection. And KEEP ALL RECEIPTS. You could need to prove values of your purchases. And don't be overly helpful. If they want to see something, ask if you should get it or tell them where the item(s) is. An example, once when clearing Customs in a car, I was asked if we had any drugs. I started to reach across to the glove compartment for my prescription meds and the inspector put his hand on my shoulder and said "STOP. please get out of the car". When I told him what I was reaching for I was told step out of the car and he would check for himself. Remember, these folks are trying to do their job and get back home alive at night.

6) And if you have a good experience, thank the individual. If you have a poor experience, write down the officer's name and badge number. You can always send a letter to the Port Director (after you get home) explaining what happened and that you wanted to bring it to their attention. A lot of times this will be looked into and it gets fixed.

Sorry this was long winded, but having worked with the traveling public, I know what my staff and I had to put up with.

Enjoy your trip and you probably will have an easy reentry into the US.

christianL

Seaman Apprentice

ifallsguy:

thanks for the great info. i did have my CG vessel safety check a few weeks ago. i'm still wondering about a few things:

is it necessary to notify customs/border patrol upon EXITING the country?

when i re-enter, would there be a dock to just pull up to, or should I make a phone call or radio contact prior to coming into port?

while i'm all for complying with laws/regulations, (and not interested in fines/jail time) i'm just wondering how much of this stuff is just a formality. The reason I say that is because, as I said earlier, I'm leaving out of Port Everglades, and there must be hundreds of local boaters and fishermen that go offshore and come back later. How do customs officials know who was just fishing and who visited the bahamas for a week? do they have binoculars and stop every boat?

thanks

ftl900

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, what HE said. I was wondering the same things.... :confused:

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

In the old days - early 80's you could just call in and clear customs from your home dock. (You were supposed to stay on the vessle until cleared and given a case number)

I'm sure today it's much more difficult (unjustly)!

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

I was wrong - You can still go home and call in :)

from here ---->>>> http://www.boatmiami.com/US_Customs_Arrivals_Private_Boats.htm

The master of any American pleasure boat must report to Customs immediately after arriving into the US from a foreign port or place and must also report any foreign merchandise on his boat that is subject to duty. The report may be made by any means of communication and should include the name of the boat, its nationality, name of the master, place of docking and arrival time. If an inspection is required, the Customs officer will direct the vessel to an inspection area.

An American pleasure boat arriving in the US from a foreign port or place is not required to make formal entry provided the vessel is not engaged in trade; the vessel has not visited any hovering vessel; the master reports arrival as required by law and is in compliance with US customs and navigation laws; and any article on board required by law to be entered or declared is reported to Customs immediately upon arrival. If these requirements are not met, the vessel must make formal entry with US Customs within 48 hours after arrival.

An American pleasure boat must also obtain clearance from US Customs before leaving a port or place in the US and proceeding to a foreign port or place if the vessel is engaged in trade, has visited a hovering vessel, or is not in compliance with US laws.

ifallsguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Up in this part of the world, Customs has video telephones at several landings. It is my understanding you call when you land. My experience has been they ask several questions and give me a clearance ID #.

As for who has been out fishing and who has been to the Bahamas. I think it is in large part the honor system, but with the drug running down there I do know they have airborne radar. I would think a call would be a better idea than having them show up and get on your case for not contacting them. Better safe (and legal) than sorry.

I would call the closest customs port and talk with them. With the new computer systems, customs can pull up when you enter Canada since they now record every vehicle going north. I remember somewhere reading about Customs using blimps on long teathers to put radar up to monitor boat traffic in your region of the world.

I worked for the Thousands Standing Around (TSA) as a supervisor. I resigned due to health reasons and I was tired of being told we were wrong by upper management when we went by the book. Their idea of screening passengers was to treat them like cattle while my view was a friendly hello, courtesy and treating them as human beings would get us better results. Lots of our regular passengers complained to Washington when I left, but I had no interest in returning.

I did and still do have a lot of contact with Customs and Border Patrol. I know a lot of these guys both professionally and personally. I can tell you, up here at least, supervisors want to know when their people are rude or cross the line. And they agree, if you feel there is a problem, ask for a supervisor.

There is a lot of information out there at the Customs/Border Patrol site:
http://www.cbp.gov/

and here

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/pleasure_boats/boats/

I'm glad you found the information helpful. It all comes down to treat the inspectors as you would want to be treated, answer their questions (but only their questions. Too much info might get you into trouble), and you should have no problems getting back into the US.