Questions about traveling deep sea

ftl900

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Questions about traveling deep sea

*listening and waiting for this one to get going* ;)

TahoeQ4Pilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm thinking a bowrider won't do, so maybe a 20-footer cuddy? :D

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

I dont know how big it has to be but one with sails would probably be best....got to have decent range on a gas powered boat to make it from fuel fill up to fuel fill up.....

ftl900

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ooooh... good point. I hadn't thought about that, and 90% of the way to the Bahamas would be a poor place to realize that you can almost make it there. :eek:

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

you could always swing by Guantanamo top off the tanks:D

I do remember reading an article about some guys in a new big center console with triples or maybe even quads going somewhere way down there....cant seem to find it now but they had some pretty long runs. Then of course theres those two guys that technically crossed the atlantic in the 20 something ft centerconsole....they hugged the northern areas in Nova Scotia and such but they technically did it.

DAVECAD2.0

Cadet

I was just wondering what size boat you need to sail from say South Florida to the Carribean?

I been to Bimini many times. It's a great steeping off point for the rest of the Bahamas and a gate way to the Carribean. It's only 50 miles of Miami and about 60 from Lauderdale. Don't know where you are thinking of going in the Carribean.
I've been across in a 21' Carolina Skiff. up to a 52' Sloop. I've passed Bahamians comming over in 12' Jon boats.
The Gulf stream is like a lake some days and other days 30' seas.
Never cross the stream with a North wind. EVER!
Bottom line you pick your days.