Out of state boating question

basshunter62

Seaman Apprentice
If I take my boat ( fresh water) out of the state do I need a 2ed reg. for that state

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Out of state boating question

Nope, but it depends on the state you're going to...
Mine is registered in NY...
When I take it to Maine, the registration is Good,...
But, I still have to buy a Maine invasive species sticker for a weekends boating...

So,....
Where you're starting at,+ where you're going is kinda Important Info...

No... You only need to be registered in your home state. Some states may have a limit as to how long you could remain before you'd have to register... For example in Alaska, if you bring your boat and plan to stay more than 90 days, you need to get an Alaskan registration.

Probably similar rules for retirees that stay in Arizona or Florida for 6 months at a time, but I'm not positive! Basically if your visiting, it's just like driving your out of state registered car! You're good to go!

rauch0812

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm not sure about whatever state you are located in, but I live in Maryland and register my boat for Delaware. I can take it into any waters around here (PA, NJ, DE, MD, VA) but the rule is you register the boat for whatever state where you'll be using the water "most". Now if it were only the same for the boat's fishing license it would be nice!