Milwaukee Fireworks & Air Show - From Lake Michigan

security6

Petty Officer 2nd Class
New boat owner here, and am interested in watching the July 3 fireworks and the Milwaukee air show from Lake Michigan. I trailer my boat, so the plan is to drive in from the suburbs and launch that day. Has anyone done this?

Looking for advice on where to launch from, how early you need to launch, how early you need to anchor, etc. Any idea how much of a "no boat zone safety barrier" they set up on the water for the fireworks and air show? Thanks!

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Milwaukee Fireworks & Air Show - From Lake Michigan

New boat owner here, and am interested in watching the July 3 fireworks and the Milwaukee air show from Lake Michigan. I trailer my boat, so the plan is to drive in from the suburbs and launch that day. Has anyone done this?

Looking for advice on where to launch from, how early you need to launch, how early you need to anchor, etc. Any idea how much of a "no boat zone safety barrier" they set up on the water for the fireworks and air show? Thanks!

Well I dont know about that event, but the fireworks in Toledo, Ohio are on the river close to lake Erie and I can tell you one thing no matter the place it will bring every boater you can imagine...They will prob keep a 50yd safe distance.

I rent a slip for the weekend because the ramps are always packed expecialy the free public ramps (and filled with Dumb a$%). The private ones that charge will double their prices.

No matter the place I also find it best to be there and have your spot no less then 1 and 1/2 hours before if not earlyer and I always wait a good hour for all the traffic to disperse before I leave just to avoid the drunks, and un-skilled night operators.

Also....the 4th is a hot time on the Great Lakes for the Coat Gurad...Make sure you have all the gear you are required by law and keep the drinking to a minimum.....they will be on the look out!

security6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I dont know about that event, but the fireworks in Toledo, Ohio are on the river close to lake Erie and I can tell you one thing no matter the place it will bring every boater you can imagine...They will prob keep a 50yd safe distance.

I rent a slip for the weekend because the ramps are always packed expecialy the free public ramps (and filled with Dumb a$%). The private ones that charge will double their prices.

No matter the place I also find it best to be there and have your spot no less then 1 and 1/2 hours before if not earlyer and I always wait a good hour for all the traffic to disperse before I leave just to avoid the drunks, and un-skilled night operators.

Also....the 4th is a hot time on the Great Lakes for the Coat Gurad...Make sure you have all the gear you are required by law and keep the drinking to a minimum.....they will be on the look out!

I definitely expect it to be very crowded. In fact, I have considered taking two vehicles to the ramp. One to tow the boat, and one to take the wife and kids home so they don't have to wait in line at the boat ramp.

Bump for experiences on which boat ramp is best.

bekosh

Lieutenant

We went to the Milwaukee airshow last year. Since we have a cabin on board, we launched at McKinnley marina on Friday and stayed out till Monday morning so I'm not sure how crowded the ramps were on Saturday or Sunday. The no-go zone in front of Bradford beach puts you a good mile out in the lake, in about 40 ft of water, so bring about 200ft of anchor line.

Years ago when we went for the fireworks we used to use Riverfront Park boat launch. It's at Water Street & Bruce. Back in the industrial area, it's maybe not the most secure area but it never seemed to be very busy and it's away from the crowds trying to leave the Veteran's Park area. Google Map of the launch.

security6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We went to the Milwaukee airshow last year. Since we have a cabin on board, we launched at McKinnley marina on Friday and stayed out till Monday morning so I'm not sure how crowded the ramps were on Saturday or Sunday. The no-go zone in front of Bradford beach puts you a good mile out in the lake, in about 40 ft of water, so bring about 200ft of anchor line.

Years ago when we went for the fireworks we used to use Riverfront Park boat launch. It's at Water Street & Bruce. Back in the industrial area, it's maybe not the most secure area but it never seemed to be very busy and it's away from the crowds trying to leave the Veteran's Park area. Google Map of the launch.

Thank you for the reply.

Did you find that you were still able to enjoy the airshow being 1 mile away from the shore? I guess I'm not real clear on where the planes fly, but I don't want to get out there and have the planes be just a spec.

I figured on avoiding Veteran's park, I imagine that place is a zoo. I was thinking of going down to Bender park in Oak Creek. It is about 10 miles (by sea) to the Milwaukee waterfront, but I figure it is probably worth avoiding the crowds.

bekosh

Lieutenant

Thank you for the reply.

Did you find that you were still able to enjoy the airshow being 1 mile away from the shore? I guess I'm not real clear on where the planes fly, but I don't want to get out there and have the planes be just a spec.

I figured on avoiding Veteran's park, I imagine that place is a zoo. I was thinking of going down to Bender park in Oak Creek. It is about 10 miles (by sea) to the Milwaukee waterfront, but I figure it is probably worth avoiding the crowds.

The airshow was great. All of the aerobatics take place parallel to Bradford beach over the lake between were the boats are anchored and the beach. The high performance military planes are right over your head.

Bring your camera with extra batteries. You'll get some great shots.
MilwaukeeAirSeaShow7-25-2009196.jpg

MilwaukeeAirSeaShow7-25-200949.jpg

MilwaukeeAirSeaShow7-25-2009120.jpg

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Security- check here for the zone, if you have not already...

http://govpulse.us/entries/2010/04/14/2010-8475/safety-

zone-milwaukee-air-and-water-show-milwaukee-lake-michigan-milwaukee-wiThe proposed rule and associated safety zone is necessary to ensure the safety of vessels and people during the Milwaukee Air and Water show. The safety zone is a 4,000 yard by 1,000 yard rectangle located on Lake Michigan, parallel to Bradford Beach in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The safety zone will encompass all U.S. waters of Lake Michigan bound by a line drawn from 43?02′57″ N, 087?52′53″ W; then north to 43?04′40″ N, 087?51′29″ W; then east to 43?04′33″ N, 087?51′12″ W; then south to 43?02′50″ N, 087?52′36″ W; then west returning to the point of origin (NAD 83). The proposed safety zone will be enforced only immediately before, during, and immediately after the event and only upon notice by the Captain of the Port, Sector Lake Michigan. The Captain of the Port, Sector Lake Michigan, will use all appropriate means to notify the public when the safety zone will be enforced, including publication in the Federal Register in accordance with 33 CFR 165.7(a). Means of notification may also include Broadcast Notice to Mariners or Local Notice to Mariners. The Captain of the Port, Sector Lake Michigan, will issue a Broadcast Notice to Mariners notifying the public when enforcement of the safety zone established by this section is cancelled.

All persons and vessels shall comply with the instructions of the Captain of the Port, Sector Lake Michigan, or his or her designated on-scene representative. Entry into, transiting, or anchoring within the safety zone is prohibited unless authorized by the Captain of the Port, Sector Lake Michigan, or his or herdesignated on-scene representative. The Captain of the Port, Sector Lake Michigan, or his or her designated on-scene representative may be contacted via VHF Channel 16.

The Coast Guard expects this temporary final rule will be effective less than 30 days after publication in the Federal Register because delaying the effective date would be contrary to the public interest due to the need to protect the public from the dangers associated with fireworks displays.

As far as the launch at Bruce St. , expect it to be swamped, no pun intended! They do have a fuel dock next door FYI, and another down the channel near Barnacle Buds. South shore is really busy too.
The whole area is really busy, and your idea of launching from Oak Creek is a good one.

As far as the fireworks show , it is really enjoyable to watch it from out on the lake- I like watching the reflections off the skyline the best.

Bekosh- Good pics of the airshow! I am less thrilled about being on the water on the 3rd of July, and watch it from a rooftop next to the rivers in Walkers point these days.

On a side note Security6, make DARN sure you are 100% compliant with the equipment on your Larson. The Coast Guard is out in force that week. I was out on a friends motor sailer , he had just got the ol diesel back in her and had been slipped at the MYC. Well, we went out on the 3rd, early enough in the day to get a good spot far enough away from the zone edge and not worry about the other novices out there.
Sometime between casting off and anchoring, an oil fitting had come just a little loose and motor oil was dripping just a touch (unnoticed by us at the time) into the bilge. We were boarded by the Coast Guard for inspection as they had noticed a small slick coming from us while we were at anchor. Everything was fine as far as equipment, PFDs , flares etc. and they were quite nice about the whole thing. But we were forced by the Coast Guard to be towed back to the marina immediately. It was a somewhat costly tow, and the fine was worse. My friend was very happy to find the leak, but not in that manner. At least we got to watch the fireworks from the docks, but not the upper deck!:( Lesson learned...

Watch out for the goofballs out there!