False Duck Island Ontario

eastont

Chief Petty Officer
Has anybody been to this island. I'm told it's a great place, but it's scary to get to because of the shoals. And it must be approached from the south, and there is a rocky area to the east. I'm not sure how accurate all the stuff I'm being told. I haven't talked to anyone who's been there, just what they have heard.

Hopefully I can get some definite information

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: False Duck Island Ontario

I have no clue where that island is but no matter what you should get the charts for your area. Once you have your charts you should be able to go anywhere the water is deep enough in safety.

Have fun.

Tig

Chief Petty Officer

False duck is just off the Prince Edward county where I live. Shoals are worst to the west. Although it's not much of a destination. Are you perhaps thinking of Main Duck Island which is more towards the center of eastern lake Ontario and has a safe harbor that is approached from the east. Google earth gives a decent view of both for conversation sake. As mentioned, take a nautical chart if you go out in a boat. Note that the charts I linked are labeled "not for navigational use".
Also bear in mind that this is big water. With the right winds Lake Ontario can have surface temperatures in the the 40s even in July.

eastont

Chief Petty Officer

Yes, I do mean Main Duck Island. I do have Richardson charts for the area and I will use them, but as I said people have told me different stories on where the shoals are and how deep the water is, and this year so far the water is about 18" lower than normal. One person told me there is a light house on a rocky island but just off it is some unmarked shallows. My charts shows this to have 6 feet of water and this person said that's not exactly true. He said 3 feet at most. I'll find out when I go I guess. And as always, slow and steady.

Tig

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like you are doing your home work. Main Duck is on my list, but it won't happen this year. My plan would be set out from Waupoos marina so that Prince Edward point would provide some shelter from the prevailing winds for the first part of the journey. My chart shows that the approach to the harbor on the west side of the island is marked with buoys.
Check out google earth. If you zoom in close enough you will find some great photos of the harbor, the light house and other parts of the island.