Boat ramp info or database?

Re: Boat ramp info or database?

Is the iPhone app done yet??? :)
These are some good ideas - adding trailer shops, etc. Here's my question - is there a source that has a good starting list of these types of places? We've added about 15 categories now. What we found is that if we can seed the list with a good starting number of items, people are more apt to add their own items. Some of that might change in the future because we have a fair amount of other data now and people get the idea of what we're doing and see the value.

The iPhone app....it's close. It has a week or so more development and then the Apple approval process. Here's some other things to tease you about it:

- Purchasing it allows it to work on both your iPhone and iPad (if you have one) at the same time. You don't need to purchase it twice if you have an iPad.

- It is the only app that keeps the charts in a course up orientation and rotates the display as your boat turns. The rotation is super fast too and will keep up with your boat.

- It uses the full resolution on the iPad which makes it a pretty big chartplotter. I'm excited about it because I saw it for myself today on real iPad hardware.

- It stores ALL of the data offline. So if you're looking for boat ramps in the boonies, you don't need any internet connection at all. Every marker, detail, and review is included. Press the Update button when you have an internet connection, and it synchronizes all of the new data onto your device since the last update from our server.

- Tide table are fully integrated - no need for another app for that. All tide calculations are offline too so no internet connection is needed tide predictions.

- All NOAA buoy stations are integrated as well showing the latest live reports from the NDBC buoys. This obviously requires an internet connection because the data is all live.

It's like 4 programs all integrated and combined into one app.

ftl900

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If we can't add images, at least can we add LINKS to images??

If we can't add images, at least can we add LINKS to images??
If it's an official link to a state web site or something like that, sure. If it's a link to a personal web site or something that doesn't have much verification and validation, then no, we probably wouldn't allow it.

christianL

Seaman Apprentice

Don't forget about BlackBerry's! the site is great but my phone comes with me and my computer dosen't on the boat

Don't forget about BlackBerry's! the site is great but my phone comes with me and my computer dosen't on the boat
I definitely know. I'm working with a BB developer right now to use our US NOAA nautical chart data and ActiveCaptain data to create a chartplotter/guidebook app. He's almost there but is worried that he doesn't know enough about boating to do it. I should know in a couple of weeks...

iPhone is nearing completion. We have Palm OS and Windows Mobile done. I'm working on an Android solution.

We'll get there...

ftl900

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks again, the BB app sounds promising!! :D

Attachments

• airframex100.png
    airframex100.png
    13.6 KB · Views: 0

txtoyman

Seaman Apprentice

Stick with it Jeff - my iPhone is waiting....

Ditto! Can't wait!
You guys deserve some examples - I'll give you some beta screen shots.

First, all of the screen shots are from my iPhone - not from the emulator or any fake thing. These are live with real data. The attachment handler here reduces the images so they don't look at good. I'm not sure why that happens.

The first two show the same area but with the boat turning - notice how the charts rotate and re-draw all text correctly. The markers are the same color coding as the web site - marinas, anchorages, local knowledge, hazards.

The next shows a zoomed out view - all of the markers are offline and show instantly. There is no delay when drawing hundreds of markers.

The last shot shows the update capability. It'll remind you weekly or monthly to do an update of the data back to the server or you can hit the update button any time you'd like.

Attachments

• AC1.jpg
    AC1.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 0
  • AC2.jpg
    AC2.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 0
  • AC3.jpg
    AC3.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 0
  • AC4.jpg
    AC4.jpg