Boat ramp info or database?

ftl900

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I actually used the SEARCH function- I was hoping to find a thread or section on local boat ramps and thought maybe I'd find pics, description, location, size, and any other pertinent details.

Is this a worthwhile idea, or a waste of time?? I have a new (to me) 23 ft I/O and need to test fire it in the water for the first time, but don't want to trailer it all over looking for a ramp big enough- I know there are lots of local canoe and kayak ramps, and I'm hoping to find a BIG ramp that's wide and not too steep into our local lakes.

The parks department isn't much help, and one of our local websites actually shows a boat ramp with a map link to the address... where there is no lake or water nearby. :confused:

riptide09

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Boat ramp info or database?

Last year I upgraded from my aluminum fishing boat with small outboard to my current boat. I needed the same type of information. I performed a Google search for public boat landings. I looked at the descriptions and made of list of possible candidates. I then used Google maps with the satellite image to see as much as I could. I then spent some time driving around looking at my end list. All in all a time consuming and not so efficient process.

I also loaded up the State Parks website for my state, MA, and NH and started looking for potential boat ramps and locations. Once again not so good.

There has got to be a better way.

txtoyman

Seaman Apprentice

Active Captain !! it isn't experimental, and it works well. Some of the cell phone apps are available - none yet for the iPhone. Jeff & Karen (site owners) are very responsive to suggestions.

More folks, especially trailer boaters need to LOG ON (doesn't cost, doesn't hurt, and you don't get spammed) and add info where they are knowledgeable IE ramp locations and out of the way anchorages. The more who use it, and add to it - the more useful it becomes.

txtoyman

Seaman Apprentice

The "Boatus" is pretty lame - no boat ramps in Polk Co. Texas ??

Oops- on edit, it does show ramps at marinas. But there are MANY nice paved ramps (free) at the different places around Lake Livingston that are not shown.

W_Guy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just logged on to Active Captain. The markers are in the wrong places on the lake I looked at and a marina is missing. I sent in a question asking how to add or edit markers and comments.

txtoyman

Seaman Apprentice

If you double click on an item it opens a box, in the box lower right it says more. select that and you get 3 selections, the bottom one is "move". Then you can "grab" the item and move it where you think it belongs, when finished scroll the screen down (on my little netbook anyway) and you can submit your change. Also a lot of local knowledge items are put in AC, Walmart locations, local airports, fuel locations near ramps & etc.

W_Guy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Dave. I just did some more navigating and found the "Help Card" where it explains how to add, or move a marker or make comments.

mpod

Seaman Apprentice

If you have an iphone, download the "Boat Ramps" app. It has a hybrid map feature so you can zoom in on satellite images of the ramps you're interested in. It also identifies marinas. Can't go wrong for one buck.

Thanks Dave. I just did some more navigating and found the "Help Card" where it explains how to add, or move a marker or make comments.
I'm happy to help directly if you have any questions - I'm the developer of ActiveCaptain.

There is an incredible iPhone app just about ready to come out - it has full nautical charts and keeps the entire ActiveCaptain database offline so everything is instantly available even without an internet connection. When you have an internet connection, you can click an Update button and all new details and reviews added since you last updated are synchronized to your iPhone. I've been playing with it while moving up the Florida coast and it has been great fun. For use with boat ramps, it means that you get a full boat ramp guide plus real navigation on NOAA charts. And of course all of the other ActiveCaptain bridges, marinas, anchorages, hazards, etc are all loaded too.

We also have direct PC support in the same way from major PC chartplotter products. MaxSea and Furuno have already announced support. Another company is announcing support this week and a couple more will announce later in the month. In all cases though, the web site is free and always available to anyone to make updates, additions, etc.

Cheers!

txtoyman

Seaman Apprentice

Oh man thanks Jeff - I've gotta get the iPhone app, didn't know it had been finished !

Oh man thanks Jeff - I've gotta get the iPhone app, didn't know it had been finished !
It's not finished yet - it'll hopefully be out this month. I'm showing it at a rendezvous this week for the first time.

superbenk

Commander

Active Captain is AWESOME!!! Just signed up and added some local info. This is the application I've been looking for! Nice work!

Another huge bump for the iPhone app! I can't wait :)

mciaio

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree, this websiet is sweet. I used to use boatus ramp locator and this is so much better. Already found a ramp for my vacation this summer that is closer than the one boatus provided. Awesome work.

txtoyman

Seaman Apprentice

'Active Captain' is SWEET - but to help make it even better please add info you are aware of, give some of us "travelers" the benefit of your (extremal valuable) local knowledge.

You don't HAVE to tell us your favorite fishing holes, unless you want to - but tell us the "other guys".

W_Guy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I added one on Lake Sara in Effingham, IL and wrote a rating as well to help others avoid the problems I had at the ramp. It's interesting that they have a pointer to show Wallmarts! I would suggest they add a pointer to show bait shops, or at least if bait is available at the marinas.
;)

I would suggest they add a pointer to show bait shops, or at least if bait is available at the marinas.
;)
Bait shops are a good idea - we know we need to do more for fishing.

Right now, every marina has a Fishing Supplies category in the Services section. That would be the place to put information about bait, fishing supplies, etc. that exist at the marina itself. Note that the field is a Yes/No/Unknown field with extra data. The next iteration of this will allow you to say things like, "Only show marinas that have fishing supplies and slip fees under $1.50 per foot". You can do some of this right now with pump out, fuel, and price sorting. Much more is coming.

rentprop1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jeff,

one thing that might be super useful to incorporate would be something for those of us who trailer boats to and from the water, things like tire shops or boat dealers that would carry trailer tires or places that might offer services for trailers, I got stuck once trailering my boat with a flat, I needed 2 tires ( only had 1 spare ), on a Sunday afternoon went 25 miles in the wrong direction to a West Marine only for to find them closing up, but the kid told me 26 miles in the other direction 1 mile from where I came, was a boat dealer that sold pontoon tires, but they probably would be closed by the time I got back there...
just a thought, maybe you could ad a services page, let dealers add their contact info, might work both ways

superbenk

Commander

Jeff,

one thing that might be super useful to incorporate would be something for those of us who trailer boats to and from the water, things like tire shops or boat dealers that would carry trailer tires or places that might offer services for trailers, I got stuck once trailering my boat with a flat, I needed 2 tires ( only had 1 spare ), on a Sunday afternoon went 25 miles in the wrong direction to a West Marine only for to find them closing up, but the kid told me 26 miles in the other direction 1 mile from where I came, was a boat dealer that sold pontoon tires, but they probably would be closed by the time I got back there...
just a thought, maybe you could ad a services page, let dealers add their contact info, might work both ways

In addition to that I'd really like if pictures of the ramps could be added. I like to guage what the ramp and surrounding area is like so I can prepare myself for what to expect before I get there.

Is the iPhone app done yet??? :)