Jersey Shore...

HollaGeo

Petty Officer 1st Class
I used to boat in the Haverstraw, NY - Stony Point, NY area for years. I sold the boat a few years ago and thinking about buying a "new" one. Anyway, does anybody have any recommendations of boating spots along the Jersey Shore that aren't to far from North Jersey. In other words, looking for a 45 minutes drive or less.

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Jersey Shore...

Depends I guess on what your into. Fishing, tubing, beaching or just cruising. The nearest spot to hit open ocean/bay/rivers is going out of Raritan Bay area. Atlantic Highlands or Keyport. Mosty a fishing area though. Can beach and hang out at a spot or two on the inside of Sandy Hook which is nice and can also explore and fish up into the Navesink and Shrewsbury rivers from there.....

If you're into tubing and rafting up and such you have Barnegat Bay further to the South...more of a drive from North Jersey though but alot to do down there, you have Tices Shoal for rafting, crabbing, fishing and Barnegat inlet to get out to open ocean. Any where in between is nice too.

Ned L

Commander

Yep, I'll echo Sandy Hook Bay & the Navesink & Shrewsbury rivers, beautiful area (if you can get there through the summer traffic). (I grew up there, so I might be a bit biased.)

skysurfer2010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yep, I'll echo Sandy Hook Bay & the Navesink & Shrewsbury rivers, beautiful area (if you can get there through the summer traffic). (I grew up there, so I might be a bit biased.)

Beautiful areas, just many shallow spots. I hate when I can't enjoy the ride since my eyes are constantly glued to the depth finder.

Try out Liberty State Park if you'd be interested in seeing the Statue of Liberty and taking a cruise up the Hudson. It's breathtaking to see the city at sunset. Plus there is a great park there, too. Coney Island isn't too far of a cruise either from this marina.

If you're ever up for a longer drive, try the area around Atlantic City. There are a ton of great marinas, restaurants, etc all around that area. Just make sure you bring a thick wallet!