What is your Favorite Arizona Lake

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: What is your Favorite Arizona Lake

I'm thinking about heading to Pleasant on Saturday morning for some fishing / chilling.

AZBD you still going out this weekend?

Yes I will be at the 10 lane boat ramp about 8:00am.

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer

Wow, really sorry to hear this. That is too bad. I'm thinking about camping somewhere around Desert Tortoise on the weekend of the 10th.
We were in the last loop on Desert Tortoise road when this incident occurred. I also learned from a contact that the man that fell off the trunk died later that evening. That explains why things changed from an accident scene to a crime scene. Hopefully my 11 year old does not need to testify in criminal trial.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That is sad that the Guy died. It could have been all avoided Im sure.

We had a nice day at Pleasant today.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer

That is sad that the Guy died. It could have been all avoided Im sure.

We had a nice day at Pleasant today.

I actually hooked into a bass today. Then he spit the hook about 10 feet from the boat.

AZBD - I usually launch at the 4 laner a little further north.. I haven't used the 10 laner. Is there a courtesy dock there?

I got there about 5 and left around 1130. I think I might head out again either later today or Monday... Time for a mini vacation!

D

DJ

It was not too bad at Pleasant, but I still wish I stayed home. A drunken couple in the campsite across from ours got into a domestic dispute. The dispute led to the woman racing out of the campground with the man still sitting on the trunk of her car. He flipped off and cracked his head. This led to a huge emergency response and helicopter evacuation. Just when we thought the excitement had ended we were asked by a Sheriff Deputy to stick around because "something had changed with the mans condition", and we were now camped in front of a crime scene. The worst part is my 11 year old daughter witnessed the entire incident and she had to speak to the crime scene detective. I think I am done with camping/boating combination on 3 day weekends. I still may go to the lake early in the morning on 3 day weekends, but I want to be done by noon from now on. No more overnighters at the lake with all the drunks. Too bad because up until this incident, we were having a great time.

Tragic. I am truly sorry your child had to witness that. I do not have younger children but I don't like seeing that kind of behavior either. It gives the whole recreational activity a bad name.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I actually hooked into a bass today. Then he spit the hook about 10 feet from the boat.

AZBD - I usually launch at the 4 laner a little further north.. I haven't used the 10 laner. Is there a courtesy dock there?

I got there about 5 and left around 1130. I think I might head out again either later today or Monday... Time for a mini vacation!

Yes there is a Dock and its large. I like the 10 lane ramp because it reall can handle the traffic load.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer

imag0642.jpg

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer

Yes there is a Dock and its large. I like the 10 lane ramp because it reall can handle the traffic load.

Here is a pic of the 10 lane ramp. There are courtesy docks on both sides of the ramp. On a busy weekend it is common for all 10 lanes to be in use, and for there to be a line of more boaters waiting to launch/retrieve.

I took this picture about 6 years ago when I noticed that a boat had sunk at the doc. I have no idea how the boat in the pic sunk, but I will speculate that the owner forgot the plug.

Sunk1.jpg

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer

While I am at it, I might as well share some more of my 10 lane ramp sunk boats. The next season I took a picture of this boat. This pic was taken a few feet to the West of the ramp, but you can't see the ramp in the pic.

SunkBoat-1.jpg

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Oh yes I forgot there are two docks. Thanks.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer

Went to Saguaro Monday afternoon 2pm for a test drive and the lake wasn't too crowded but the ramp was pretty busy for a Monday. Changed spark plugs and wanted to test them out. All went well. Lake was a bit choppy from the wind and I only stayed about an hour.

I really like this lake but hate the layout of the roadways surrounding the ramp and the idea that they might close the gate on you if the lot gets full.

imag0660.jpg

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

Roosevelt is a fantastic lake, PLENTY of water, lots of places to launch, the only downside is theres not enough dock space to dock overnight. You can camp across the lake, there are some cool sites, some improved some native. Talk to a Ranger. The water is fantastic, plenty of coves to hang out in undisturbed. Me and a few ladies had a BLAST under a bridge on day. We frequent Canyon, Saguaro gets TOO busy during the weekends, its the first East Valley lake out of Phoenix. Canyons got 2 ramps about a mile apart, the second one is best for busy weekends. Apache is a very nice secluded lake, LONG and skinny though but lots of places to "Hide" from reality for a few hours. Saguaro has a great party beach in the way back past the bouys. Canyon has an ok one, gets pretty busy. Always be aware the levels rise and fall due to electric demand, you can beach and 10 minutes later be high and dry or 20 feet off the bank. Hit me up if ya ever wanna meet up.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Saguaro for the short quick trips when I get the family out there at 5:00 am- 6:00am. We get off the water by noon. Roosevelt and Pleasent for the all day on the water trips.

A few weeks ago I saw Saguaro close as we were leaving 12:30pm. Do those people sit in the Over flow parking just north of the lake until the gates open again?

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

Ya, they have people on radios allowing people to get in. First time that happened to us, they said "About 45 minutes" I told the family, about an hour to Roosevelt...off we went. About 3 weeks ago at Canyon they closed the first ramp as we approached, kept going to number 2, it was empty and after getting on the water...I honestly dont know where all the boats were!

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That is what I thought happend. I never ended having to go to the overflow.

dizzy1

Seaman

Anyone been out to Sandy beach in the back of Saguaro this year? Good partying still? Heading out there on Saturday with bunch of friends and haven't hit that beach this year. Taking my buddies new dreamsicle boat lol (orange sea doo 210, name just fits)

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Anyone been out to Sandy beach in the back of Saguaro this year? Good partying still? Heading out there on Saturday with bunch of friends and haven't hit that beach this year. Taking my buddies new dreamsicle boat lol (orange sea doo 210, name just fits)

Nope, I stay away from the Party Beaches. Enjoy.

Post Picts if you can?

sandstorm

Cadet

I've become a big big fan of Roosevelt. Plenty of room, never had a wait, and very relaxing for a newb... That and the fact that I live in Tucson means it's a nice drive up Oracle road to the lake. I leave home at 9am and get there around 11 with no traffic to worry about.

I'm heading up with my girlfriend and her kids on Saturday. I'll be at the first launch area after the gas station/store on 188 around 11 (I think it's called Schoolhouse?)

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sandstorm what boat do you have.

How close are you to San Carlos lake.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just read San Carlos lake is almost dry. Sad. I was there back in 93.

Status
Not open for further replies.