Ohio River Trip

tswiczko

Master Chief Petty Officer
I am trying to plan a trip down the Ohio river from Louisville to points south, but I am having trouble locating fuel depots. Can anyone help me with a websit or publication that has a current list of open marinas with and contact information to get costs of slips and hours of opereation so I can make an itinerary for a safe trip instead of going down and hoping to find fuel when I need it.

allen6634

Seaman
Re: Ohio River Trip

I am trying to plan a trip down the Ohio river from Louisville to points south, but I am having trouble locating fuel depots. Can anyone help me with a websit or publication that has a current list of open marinas with and contact information to get costs of slips and hours of opereation so I can make an itinerary for a safe trip instead of going down and hoping to find fuel when I need it.

i live south of louisville and i only know of two marinas between louisville and evansville.as far as i know,they are the only operating marinas from louisville and evansville,one of them are rocky point in cannelton, and the other one is marina point in evansville. maybe you can look them up on yellow book .com to get the info you need.i don't have any more info on them sorry i can't be of more help.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Sounds like about half of the great loop!!! I am sure that you will have a blast!

When are you planning on heading out and what size boat are you going to use?

Anyway, to answer your question, I would order this book:

http://www.waterwayguide.com/editions.php?area=great_lakes_2009

It is available right here on iboats!

http://www.iboats.com/Waterway_Guid...2334147--**********.329604887--view_id.480040

I have the one for the Chesapeake Bay and it is very through and explains everything you are looking for. Includes hours and contact info for all of the marinas along the way. Lots of helpful advice!

Good luck and keep us filled in on your plans if you don't mind! I love to hear about peoples cruising adventures!

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I just cruised this past Thursday and Friday from Lake Barkley down the Cumberland River to the Ohio and then up to Evansville in 34' Kingscraft houseboat. My friend and his wife are continuing to Louisville from there and, tonight, they are docked at Derby, Indiana for the night.

As you have said, fuel is a problem from Louisville to Evansville. The only fuel available is at Rocky Point and then that fuel is not on the water. You have to arrange for someone with a 50 gallon truck-mounted tank and pump to bring fuel from a nearby convenience store. My friend in the houseboat got fuel that way just today. They are having a friend meet them in Leavenworth to ferry them enough fuel to make Louisville tomorrow.

At Evansville, there is fuel available at Inland Marine and Nu Plaza marinas. There is fuel at Golconda, Illinois at mile 902.5. I don't anything about below Golconda. Good luck.

The only solution is to carry aux fuel and find your best econ speed.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My buddy arrived Louisville this evening. He said there is a dock at the town of Derby, Indiana (mile 692.5). Fuel is available a short walk away. He reports that they even have 5-gallon cans to transport it. Not the best of situations, but better than nothing if you need fuel.

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i'll be planning a cruise from Louisville to Cincinnati this spring, i'll be researching on fueling points going that direction

zip34788

Seaman

I have now moved to Florida, but previously traveled the Ohio River extensively. I never had a problem in locating fuel, until I went Diesel. Even then I was able to find it a commercial dock.

There are several waterway guides that list all the food, fuel and potty stops along the way. I always purchased the charts from the Corps of Engineers. They seemed to be more than adequate.

I might suggest you start your trip in Cincinnati and proceed downriver. There are some really scenic views between there and Louisville. You will find sections where you think you have stepped back in time a hundred years. Absolutely beautiful.

Make sure you carry plenty of bumpers to insure safe navigation through the locks. You will also find a VHF radio very beneficial as you may travel miles and miles without ever seeing another boat or civilization. Just add a comfort factor and safety.