Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here boat at the Lake Erie Islands?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anyone here boat at the Lake Erie Islands?

    We're planning a vacation up to the Lake Erie Islands next month. We're probably going to get a cabin at St. Hazard's resort ( http://www.sthazards.com/ ). Just wondered if anyone here as any experiences or advice to share going up to this area.
    Last edited by slydog75; June 18th, 2009, 06:28 PM. Reason: spelling errors!
    -Adam
    1987 Wellcraft Classic 190
    Mercruiser 470
    Alpha One

  • #2
    Re: Anyone here boat at the Lake Erie Islands?

    You will not be disappointed, I assure you. If you catch good weather, the Erie Islands are incredible. My only advice is, don't get caught up spending all your time at Put-In Bay. There is a ton of great history and nature to see on the islands, make sure you do some exploring and check it all out!

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Anyone here boat at the Lake Erie Islands?

      Originally posted by ThePostMan View Post
      You will not be disappointed, I assure you. If you catch good weather, the Erie Islands are incredible. My only advice is, don't get caught up spending all your time at Put-In Bay. There is a ton of great history and nature to see on the islands, make sure you do some exploring and check it all out!
      Nice, thanks for the reply. I'm trying to figure out if I should be expecting to take my boat across on the ferry or if I should put it in the water somewhere on the mainland and park my trailer and vehicle somewhere around there. What is the norm?
      -Adam
      1987 Wellcraft Classic 190
      Mercruiser 470
      Alpha One

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Anyone here boat at the Lake Erie Islands?

        Well, you're going to get some conflicting opinions on that. Some will say your 19-ft open bow isn't Lake Erie-worthy, others will tell you they fish the Western Basin in a 12-ft rowboat. :-)

        Personally, I have no problems putting my 20-ft cuddy in at Marblehead and making the run to the islands. . .IF the weather cooperates. SInce you'll be out there vacationing, you run the risk of actually being stuck out on the islands if the wind kicks up for a few days, which is quite possible.

        All things being equal, I'd say make yourself a ferry reservation out of Sandusky (Miller). . .that guarantees your boat and your gear arrive dry and safe, and you can spend the week exploring the islands without relying on your boat as your sole transportation.

        Just my $0.02, though. I also think you'd be fine making the crossing, maybe with the addition of a bow cover to keep the spray out of your boat.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Anyone here boat at the Lake Erie Islands?

          You will also be in the area of Sandusky Bay and Cedar point Amusement park.
          www.cedarpoint.com
          There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage. Mark Twain
          T
          The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails. ~William Arthur Ward

          Never argue with a fool, people might not know the difference.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Anyone here boat at the Lake Erie Islands?

            I've made the crossing many times in a 1967 Stingray V-20 from Port Clinton. Stay true to your compass setting unless you have GPS. With Erie being more shallow on the west end, some bad waves can kick up in a big hurry. Make sure you have a VHF and stay up on the weather. I never went out if a small craft warning or if the forecast was over 2-4' waves. For your open bow, I would make sure you have a cover on it. Most times it is the open bow type boats that will stuff the bow into a wave and not make it. The waves may not seem that big, but it is the close frequency in which they are that make it dangerous.

            Also the large ships and the jet express can put off some serious wake if your not prepared for them. There is some great perch fishing off of Green island which is just west of Kellys Island. It is truly a great experience and even better is you have a thick wallet
            BEER........Helping ugly people find true Love since 1862

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Anyone here boat at the Lake Erie Islands?

              Originally posted by SS MAYFLOAT View Post
              I've made the crossing many times in a 1967 Stingray V-20 from Port Clinton. Stay true to your compass setting unless you have GPS. With Erie being more shallow on the west end, some bad waves can kick up in a big hurry. Make sure you have a VHF and stay up on the weather. I never went out if a small craft warning or if the forecast was over 2-4' waves. For your open bow, I would make sure you have a cover on it. Most times it is the open bow type boats that will stuff the bow into a wave and not make it. The waves may not seem that big, but it is the close frequency in which they are that make it dangerous.

              Also the large ships and the jet express can put off some serious wake if your not prepared for them. There is some great perch fishing off of Green island which is just west of Kellys Island. It is truly a great experience and even better is you have a thick wallet
              Thanks for the tips. Is there somewhere I can read on how to drive in higher waves? Bow down or up? Straight into them or at an angle? etc, etc, etc?

              I better go get a bow cover quick too.
              -Adam
              1987 Wellcraft Classic 190
              Mercruiser 470
              Alpha One

              Comment


              • #8
                Sign up today
                Re: Anyone here boat at the Lake Erie Islands?

                Originally posted by tswiczko View Post
                You will also be in the area of Sandusky Bay and Cedar point Amusement park.
                www.cedarpoint.com
                Yep, been there many times (driving in), we might have to spend a day there while we're in the area. Can you dock there? Is it feasible to boat over there if you can assuming the conditions are right or should I just plan on driving?
                -Adam
                1987 Wellcraft Classic 190
                Mercruiser 470
                Alpha One

                Comment

                Working...
                X