has anyone boated the arrow lakes in bc

rbh

Fleet Admiral
This summer-
We and the neighbours are looking at moving the boats from Salmon arm on shuswap to the arrow lakes for a little boat camping. It looks as if peaple put their boats in at the gallena bay ferry site (west side)I hope it is fairly secure. The only place that I think we can fuel up is nakusp and at the marina north of Castlegar.
Has any one done this lake before.
rob

Bigprairie1

Commander
Re: has anyone boated the arrow lakes in bc

I have been on the lake just a few times but not in any extended way. I have a few friends who have a place down in Edgewood who know the lake(s) quite well and I'll see if I can get a little info from them.:)
What I do know about the lake is that it is not a really warm lake and there is not a lot of shelter bays on it...sort of like a long deep finger system, which means there are not too many places to hide when it gets rough. From what I hear, the fishing is very good, probably due to the water temperature and depth.
It is a beautiful spot and area tho' but then again, hey it's in British Columbia and few places in the world match it for wilderness and beauty.;)
My two bits.
BP:cool:

rbh

Fleet Admiral

hey thanks for the input bp
it looks like were going in late july, fist stop nakusp for fuel, then around renata for the second night, castlegar for fuel and then turn around and head back. I know that there is a gas station at farquir? but theres nothing on the lake so it would be a jerry can adventure and a pain in the butt to fill the 500 litre tank
So I tell my dirt bike buddy and he now has me talked into taking the old kettle valley railroad/canada trail system the second weekend in september from the big white area through to castlegar so I guess I am going to get my fill of the arrow lakes this year (I think dear season opens first week in september! google earth that one lots of trestles and tunnels)
rbh

Titanium48

Petty Officer 1st Class

Arrow lakes is on my list of cool places to go too. It looks so pretty from the ferries. I'd like to do Revelstoke to Castlegar, but I'm not sure if I want to brave the shallow areas near Revelstoke or the river downstream of the dam.
I've been trying to do some research as well, but I haven't found much except for a few BC Hydro webpages. Their main page is Here. Average water levels can be found here. Current water levels are here.

Any other information would be welcome!

rbh

Fleet Admiral

hey thanks for the input t48-
from what I have gathered, since the keanlely side dam went in the best boating is from the gallena bay ferry to the dam at castlegar, and depending on how much water the revelstoke dam or the mica dam is releasing sort of sets the level of the lake. I know from doing a google earth recce of the lake it looks as if there is lots of great white sand beaches to set up camp, but I have been sort of worried about fuel as the lake is about 120 km long and you cant always depend on marinas to be open when you want them to be.
thanks
rbh

Titanium48

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did you make it out to Arrow Lakes last summer? How was it?

oohyeahh

Cadet

Boat lives on the arrow lakes!.... Beautiful and can go for hours up lake. Places to camp with boater made tables and outhouses. Places to get gas at edgewood, nakusp. Any question let me know. DO NEED TO WATCH FOR LOGS AS IT HAS TUG BOATS PULLING THEM DOWN AND THEY LOOSE SOME!...and dead heads....but beutiful

oohyeahh

Cadet

sorry and yes of course Castlegar(gas)at marina....edgewood as well but you need to hike up to town with jerrycan

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Sorry Guys, I was over in Nakus working and the only time I have been on the Arrows is every time I have to take the ferry to Nakusp.
Maybe this year I will drag the boat from Salmon Arm to Shelter Bay and put it in and go for a cruise down to Castlegar and back.
Rob