Has anyone out there actually taken a Boating Safety course?

JoeMan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Has anyone out there actually taken a Boating Safety course?

I would hazard a guess that every last one of you guys (the ones who truly care), that if you did not know what every single official symbol and rule was or meant, would be no less careful out there, because you would engage your brain...which along with safety equipment is the lions share of it. As was said earlier...for all of the driver's training and boater's safety courses, while your boat may be fully stocked with every shred of safety equipment, and if you memorize every rule of the road - this does not change the 'heart' of the guy behind the wheel. If he's going to drink and drive his car, or put the safety of others aside as he plays with his water toys, a course is not going to change that a smidge. Am I poo-pooing the courses and education so many have undertaken? Nope. But nor do I want to see this entire thing handled by the government who will make tons of cash from regulating it while not being able to weed out the idiots...because a course does not get that out of you.

My dad is 88 and has never come close to an incident...except those that he positively avoided at the hands of some other careless boaters over the years. Dad never took a course, but safety is his first concern. 70 years of safe boating ain't too shabby. He taught his 4 sons by example as well as giving a few pointers along the way. As far as official regulations, equipment, common courtesy on the lake, etc, I researched this when I got my own classic junker (which I custom restored) 3 years ago. I've followed in dad's footsteps...I more than meet the safety equipment requirements, know the rules for inland lakes (this is all I use), do my best to spot and keep away from the careless, use my head in every situation, and teach those who are teachable while we're out on the water. I still manage to have a ton of fun! Do I recommend someone take a safety course? Sure!

riptide09

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am taking a NH safe boating class this Saturday. Need to take it to be legal in NH. I have been boating in NH for years and never had a problem however my motivation for taking the class is my agent told me I could get a discount on my boat insurance premium if I took the class.

riptide09

Petty Officer 1st Class

In PA it's required. NJ and MA too as far as I've been told. Even without that I would have taken the course.

Not required in MA however in NH it is.

riptide09

Petty Officer 1st Class

Completed the NH class and test yesterday. It was about 5 hours of instruction followed by the test. Cost of class was $30. Exam cost $10 for a total of $40.

Material received was text book with 6 chapters. 5 general chapters used nationwide and 1 state specific chapter, small booklet of NH rules, various 1 sheet handouts with additional material, sticker for your boat that has pictures of all the buoy types/colors and what to do. Course was NASBLA approved meaning my certificate is accepted by any state requiring a safe boating class. The instructor was not a NH Marine Patrol officer but instead a member and instructor from the local Power Squadron.

Test consisted of 60 multiple choice tests with the majority of questions concerning state specific regulations, second highest number of questions from chapter on navigation (right of way, boat lighting, buoys, sounds (horns in fog) and other navigation aides. You are allowed to miss up to 12 questions and pass.

Class size was 45. 2 perfect scores in the class, I was one of them. At least 2 people failed.

Was it worth the time and effort? In my specific case I would say not. I know I could have passed the test without the class. My wife thought it was worth it. She got two questions wrong on the exam.

The class moves fast. It covers a lot of material superficially. If you have never boated and really don't know anything I would recommend to download some of the material from the web ahead of time and look it over. If you have boating experience and some common sense you will do fine.

christianL

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, I have taken a boater education course and highly recommend it. You remember a lot more than you think you would.

About a year ago I created a post stating my opinions on the issue. I said that everyone should be required to take a boating course. The responses were the opposite of what they are here. I got blasted. Everyone called me crazy for even suggesting such "blastfamy." Well well well, today I took my boat to a certified examiner for a vessel safety check. We began talking and do you know what he told me? (this guy is a member of Coast Gaurd Auxilliary, knows what he's talking about). He said that the South Carolina DNR, (I live and boat in SC) is about to require ALL power boaters to take the DNR safety/education course. Alas, I am not so crazy afterall.

ifallsguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My wife has worked summers at Voyageurs National Park. Since the park is basically lakes, the only method of transportation is by boat. She has over 20 years experience, including years of living on a remote island in southeast Alaska, but before she could take the helm of a National Park Service (NPS) boat, she was required to take a boat handling course.

She passed easily, but said it was worth the time and effort. They went over safety, trailering, navigation and even had man overboard exercises. I volunteer and am on the waiting list. While I can use my own boat for volunteer work, I cannot take a NPS boat out, even with a certified individual along. That means I burn my own fuel, put time on and maintain my own boat.

I've taken a short course at the community college, but the NPS does require their own course. We have found both of our certificates are good for a discount on our insurance. However, our agent said we would get another 2.5% after I complete the NPS course. Right now we get 7.5%, with 5% off from my wife's training and 2.5% for me. Also a USCG Aux or PS course would earn me the additional 2.5%.

And, according to the agent, we will continue to save if take the reveiw courses every 4-5 years (as required by the Park Service). Addition discounts may be available then, as long as there have been no claims.

So, do I think it's worth it? Yes, even if you look at just the money saved in insurance.

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My wife and 15-year-old son took the NJ Boater Safety course and exam today. Both passed, missing only two questions each. The course is required in order to operate a boat in NJ. Now at least one of them can drive while I ski!

They both learned a lot and appreciated having taken the course.

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class

I took the course at boat-ed.com and passed and sent in for safety card through the state. Funny if you ask people about it they have no idea. Its a lifetime card from the state and is good in any state that accepts our states card until you become a resident in that state then you have to get there card.

JES233

Cadet

I took a USCGA course 20yrs ago.Verry good idea for new boaters.