Has anyone out there actually taken a Boating Safety course?

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer
Is there anyone out there that has actually taken a boating safety course by any recognized boating authority?

There are so many boaters on the water doing so many stupid things that I am wondering if anyone besides me has actually taken the time to learn to be safe.

I am not a professional, nor instructor, nor with the CG, but I am a member of the local Power Squadron.

So, I challange you to make yourselves know to others, be proud, share your pride in caring enough about others to invest in the safe operation of your vessel.

Lets talk about our training and perhaps we can stimulate others to make the investment in their own, and their familes safety.

arks

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Has anyone out there actually taken a Boating Safety course?

Sure.

When I was a wee lad I spent summers in the NY Finger Lakes and got a lot of "seat-of-the-pants" boat training, but nothing professional.

When I was in my teens, I went to summer camp at Admiral Farragut Academy in NJ where I learned all things nautical, but the school was geared towards sailing. Got my "QBH" (Qualified Boat Handler) card and could pilot any of their boats- including a couple powerboats.

I took my first safe boating course (USCGA) about 25 years ago, after a friend got me re-interested in boating. When my daughter turned 16 (4 years ago), the whole family- including me- took it before buying a PWC. It was a good refresher. I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone- even the old salts!

>> Oh, I forgot about another class I took about 1988-89. It was the USCGA "Celestial Navigation" course. Lots of math and boring subject matter, but in the end they made sure everyone in the class knew how to plot and follow a course on PAPER CHARTS. Don't know if I would recommend this one to a casual weekend boater (it was pretty intense), BUT for anyone who wants to do serious cruising, that class contained a lot of good info. <<

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for getting back to me. I was afraid no one would admit to actually studying to be safe. I didn't have your level of commitment but I did take a PS course that taught the basic navigation skills for using paper charts.

What gets me is how few people are willing to take a course to pilot a boat safely, but everyone that drives could hardly wait until they could take their drivers test.

Even the 10% discount on their boat insurance doesn't seem to give them inspiration. (Maybe they don't carry insurance either.)

cpubud

Chief Petty Officer

2 courses. highly reccomend any and all to everyone

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

No...but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn, last night!

Seriously...I was once in Search and Rescue (USCG)...and I have probably seen it all. I am anal about not leaving the dock, without a solid feeling that I have anticipated every stupid thing that can happen...and then some.

kaferhaus

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here in Alabama you must be licensed to operate anything that moves on the water under power. Rowboats and sailboats without an aux engine are exempt.

Once they passed that law many of the yahoos disappeared. The exam is a pretty good one and those that refuse to study for it end up taking it over...

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer

I have cpmpleted a 2 day course. PWC as well as boat. Some chilling videos were shown to show the seriousness of being on the water..and being prepared!!!
1 incorrect out of 50....:)

cribber

Lieutenant

The local Harris Chain Power Squadron http://www.harrischain.org/ offers the basic boater's safety course and offer various courses throughout the year. Most of the reputable local dealers throw in a basic safety course when you buy a boat from them. They'll then let the State know you successfully completed the course so you'll get your state issued Safety card. Not mandatory in Florida yet, but it's only a matter of time. Mine came with my Glastron!!! :D

wajajaja02

Senior Chief Petty Officer

yes, although I took it before I had to It is now mandatory for all NJ boaters, the regardless of age, the phase in expires this spring.

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

I had heard rumors that a national boaters licensing was being kicked around by "the powers that be". I didn't realise that some states already had gone the mandatory route. I hate being regulated by the government but I hate even more seeing so many people that don't seem to know what they are doing, and endangering me and mine while they are doing it. It scares me that I would even consider supporting a boater's licensing requirement but I am leaning that way.

The only problem with it is the number of idiots on the road that supposedly have licenses.

If it is simply a way to get more non-representative tax into the system, then I would not support it nor any politican that did.

Some impressive training on this post.

mthieme

Captain

The only problem with it is the number of idiots on the road that supposedly have licenses.

And they have had more instruction, training, road time, etc. than boaters (who have had training).

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

I took my USCG safe boater's course the same year I purchased my boat. An added bonus was 10% off my boat insurance with State Farm.

I took it again when I started dating my wife when she took the course.

Jeff

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

I've never taken a training class, but it probably wouldn't hurt to go. I boated a lot with my parents when I was younger, so I know how to drive the boat and negotiate wakes, other boats, channels, etc, etc... But, I'm sure I don't know everything....

Where does one find information on these courses?...

TilliamWe

Banned

Hey Bob, you ever run into members of the Winter Haven Nautical Club? My parents are members.
I took a safe boating course at the local Coast Guard Aux a couple years ago, and really enjoyed it. Learned a few things too, even after being a boater since 1978!

hubbard53

Petty Officer 1st Class

just curious... i've been to the website but wanted to ask here...

what is the benefit of US Power Squadron membership?

also, I did a free online course and exam at www.boatus.com

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Tilliamwe,

It just so happens that I am a member of the NWNC myself. Fun group of people. Would you like me to look them up at the coming meeting and give them your regards?

They just went on a cruise to St Augustine but it was too cold for me and the wife. We have an open boat and the wind would have been really unpleasant for us. We were sorry that we had to cancel. Promised to be fun.

AquaTom

Recruit

Took the local Sheriff's course when I was 10,so I could take my 5 horse out by myself in the swamps and canals,had to be 12 to go out on the Great Lakes.Probably knew more when I was a kid than most know out there these days.

SouthernAppal

Seaman Apprentice

I plan to take one or two in June. These will be instructor-led as opposed to online classes. I'll be proud to carry a card that indicates NASBLA approved Boating Education Course. I cannot locate USCG or Power Squadron in my area (western NC). According to the 2000 edition of the NASBLA Reference Guide many or most states do not require a boating safety class.

mphy98

Lieutenant

uh, forty years ago from my father, he said don't hit anything:D