Lobster fishing and diving

rdny041285

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have heard some ideas for lobster fishing and all seem to require diving...is there any other way to catch lobster? i live in southeast florida.

also if diving is the way to go, are you required to be certified to do this?

any input would be great thanks guys.

erikgreen

Captain
Re: Lobster fishing and diving

Mods: Please move this thread, I replied before I thought about it :)

It depends on where you are... off the east coast, lobstering can be done with scuba gear. The traditional way to catch lobster is traps, basically wire and wood cages you put food into that lobster can get into, but can't get out of.

In the bahamas, it's illegal to lobster on scuba, but legal to do so using snorkeling gear. Many places you can't use spear guns with scuba or snorkel, but you can use bungee spears or gigs (big forks).

If you dive on scuba, you must have certification, gear that's well maintained, and a buddy with you (unless you're an advanced diver/trained for solo).

Where are you hoping to lobster?

Erik

rdny041285

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sorry for posting in the incorrect area. i did a search for lobster and didnt pay attention to where i was posting a new thread after that...

anyway im planning maybe out of Jupiter or palm beach inlets in south florida... lobster pots would be cool with me but not sure how that works or how long they have to stay there for me to get results.

rdny041285

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How long should i leave a lobster pot in the water and about how deep should they be?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

we go to the keys each year for August. to use traps of any kind you have to have a commercial license. for the regular fisherman, either scuba or snorkeling, is the only way to catch them. google Florida lobster, there is a season also when catching them is allowed also. strick rules apply to size, and large fines.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=216034

rdny041285

Petty Officer 2nd Class

that sucks....well hopefully i will be able to learn someday cause it sounds like ti would be a lot of fun. snorkeling would be tough wouldnt it? since you cant go under water or you would get water in the snorkel?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

buy a snorkel, and mask, walmart and learn to use it. we catch most of our lobster in less than 10 feet of water. the way we catch them, is called tickling. you have a plastic tickle pole, and the lobster lay under rock, and crevices. you stick the pole in and irritate the lobster, he will come flying out of the hole, and you have to catch it in the net, as he flies by.

you can see in the pictures the kids snorkeling, looking for a tickle spot.

http://www.florida-keys.fl.us/lobster.htm