Lake Allatoona, GA - Ramps when water is down

swab

Cadet
Re: Lake Allatoona, GA - Ramps when water is down

Kellogg Creek, Red Top (Bethany Bridge) and Blockhouse are the only ones I would try. I usually launch at Kellogg though. Hope this helps.

dvan1901

Chief Petty Officer

Swab, thanks for the info. Is Kellogg Creek open year around? Have you used it in the winter?

swab

Cadet

It's the one lableled Payne. During the summer months, you must enter throught the campground to gain access to it but in the winter, you can just drive right in at the ramp. That is where we usually launch during the winter since it's the closest ramp that still has water (we fish at least 4 times a week during the winter). Also, we're usually launching my friends 22' McKee Craft which is not a small boat and probably drafts somewhere around 18" -24". Where are you located? Maybe I can suggest one of the others.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Coming from Acworth, I would use the Blockhouse ramp. It the one you see from the 75 bridge, as you head northbound. It has three lanes, and as far as I know, it is usable most of the year. It is on old highway 41, and as mentioned, right below the 75 bridge. Great nighttime crappie and striper fishing under the lights at the pumphouse which is right near the blockhouse ramp.
But, on that link, is all the info you need. Instead of looking at the open and shut listing, which probably isn't accurate, you need to click on the ramp elevations page (swabs second link) and find the one that has the lowest bottom elevation, and possibly the steeper slope if there are two that are equal. From my quick glance, the blockhouse seems like one of the lower ones.

Do either of yall fish? I know of some great allatoona fishing boards.

ddennis

Petty Officer 1st Class

How about a good ramp at lanier? I usually go in at oakwood just off 53. cant remember the name of the ramp...but it is so low now I cant to the dock after I launch...to many rocks!

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

I would probably start a new post for Lanier. I have seen many folks on here from cumming, so they would definitely be Lanierians. And, I doubt a lot of them would look at a lake post, about ramps, more than an hour from them. BTW, the spots are nice up there in Lanier. I haven't fished there much, but there are some gooduns in there.:D

dvan1901

Chief Petty Officer

Lanier is an hour drive from where I am, without a boat. My boat is stored at Glade Rd and New Hope Rd (Dry Dock RV and Boat Storage) so I usually use Bartow Carver, small ramp, never busy; but I've never tried in the winter. Bassboy1, I think I know what ramp you are talking about. Isn't the ramp on one side, then the dock is just around the point on the other side? The Blockhouse ramp has about a 30' difference between top and bottom, but is one of the longest ramps at over 230'. That might work, any others in that area that can be recommended?

swab

Cadet

Considering where your boat is stored, Red Top ramp would be my choice, no problems launching even when the lake is at the lowest levels.

ddennis

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would probably start a new post for Lanier. I have seen many folks on here from cumming, so they would definitely be Lanierians. And, I doubt a lot of them would look at a lake post, about ramps, more than an hour from them. BTW, the spots are nice up there in Lanier. I haven't fished there much, but there are some gooduns in there.:D

Good thought, I usually drive about an hour and a half to go up to Oconnee. I usually put in at Renolds plantation,,actually just past it at an old gas station that is now closed. At least teh water level there is up enough to boat...now if it wasnt so dang hot!

travism

Seaman

dvan, I keep my boat at the same place as you, Dry Dock RV and Boat Storage. Small world, huh?

I go to the Galts Ferry ramp. Blockhouse is always crowded until it gets cold enough to scare away the family rec boaters. I have a Corps season pass so I don't go to Red Top because they aren't included in that and I'd have to pay again to park. The dock at Galts Ferry seems to stay floating longer than the others and the ramp area isn't usually crowded. The ramp at Galts is a bit steeper than the others. A map that I have of the lake recommends Blockhouse and Galts Ferry for winter use.

Travis

dvan1901

Chief Petty Officer

Travism, yep small world. I'm about to have another boat stored there, ugh. Trying to sell one that is in a covered space; upgrading. Galts Ferry is actually on the way to the mechanic I've been using at the Harbor Town Marina, Shoreline Marine. I will have to check that out. It sounds like there are a few options; I thought they all closed down so this is good news!

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Bassboy1, I think I know what ramp you are talking about. Isn't the ramp on one side, then the dock is just around the point on the other side? The Blockhouse ramp has about a 30' difference between top and bottom, but is one of the longest ramps at over 230'. That might work, any others in that area that can be recommended?

Yeah, the block house has a lot of distance, but more important than distance, is bottom elevation. There could be a 500 foot long ramp, but it could start so high, that it doesn't reach at low pool. I don't care if the top of a short ramp is submerged at full pool, when they drain it down, I can use it.

Since only one of our boats is running, a 12 footer with 4 horses, in the summer, we usually go to mckaskey and stamp and coopers creeks from the highway 20 side. In the winter, we use bethany bridge, as it is close to our house. We only use the blockhouse at night, as it has a lot of larger boats during the day, and at night, there is some good crappie fishing. I know it has a dock right next to its 3 ramps (just off to the side) I think on the other side of the cove, there is a jetty, or maybe a another dock, I don't remember.

Rusty Boater

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have always had good luck at Blockhouse. I wish they would build a larger dock though. You would think at $3.00 a boat they could.