New at boating: Are 20 mph winds excessive to boat in?

POINTER94

Vice Admiral
Re: New at boating: Are 20 mph winds excessive to boat in?

Tough to answer that question. Depends on the size, depth, and shape of the lake in conjunction with the direction the wind is out of. <br /><br />Handling near the dock with be a neat challenge for you. It will give you an idea about your drift and windage. Try to stay out of reverse as it is difficult for most boats to steer due to their design and the paddlewheel effect of a prop in reverse creates a delayed reaction and in some cases the opposite of what you expect. <br /><br />Winds can have different effects on different lakes. Talk to the locals as they know which direction creates the most havoc. Know your safety spots. If you don't know if you can make her back you should know were to go. 20mph is a stiff breeze, but in most cases as long as it hasn't been blowing long you should be fine. A 20ft boat won't want to see much more than a 4ft sea. Try to take larger seas on the bow quarters. Not straight on if possible. Hull designs vary. Try to manage your engine trim to maintain an optimum bow attitude for your conditions.<br /><br />Just some thoughts.

Pony

Rear Admiral
Re: New at boating: Are 20 mph winds excessive to boat in?

I too have heard horror stories about Lake Erie.....or any Great Lake for that matter eing as I live so close to them.<br /><br /><br />I went on a week long walleye fishing trip on Erie about 10years ago. I remember on our last day we were out fishing in 6ft waves........it was a little scary when you were on top of a swell you could see the other boats around you, and when you would be at the bottom all you could see was water. Needless to say the Anti-seasick pills werent working for everyone that day. Later that night a bad thunderstorm rolled in, and there were reports of 15+ foot waves. Glad that we left that night ;) , but I will remember it as the greatest lightning show I have EVER seen.