VHF use on Lrg. inland lakes??

G. Arruda

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi All, Boating on inland waters; ie. lrg. lakes like Winnipesaukee in NH is VHF radio for comm & safety, or are some of the small FRS radios used at all. We'll be spending more time on the lake this summer, and I'm still pretty new at this (although got my Boat safety course in) Any recommendations on this would be great!<br />Thanks, Gary

gatorboaterUF

Seaman
Re: VHF use on Lrg. inland lakes??

most people i know here use VHF in fresh water but thats mostly because we all do salt water to if anything its good for boat to boat talk on lakes on another note its illegal if your not on the water but alot of my buddys even have them in there truck for hunting season because it works better then CB

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know on lake anna here in virginia there is a coast guard aux. and they monitor VHF.

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Where I live, I would put more faith in my cell phone contacting help than hoping someone else has their VHF on. I do own a handheld VHF which also goes with me but rarely hear anyone using it unless I am boating on coastal water, bigger lakes, or around locks.<br /><br />I also carry shooting flares and hope this will at least get someone to turn their VHF on if they should notice. Other than that, a VHF is a small price to pay for your safety and sanity on the day you may need it.

baileys

Petty Officer 2nd Class

as far as i know we no longer need avhf licence in the uk as of last year which is quite good because it evcourages people to have one i wouldnt go out with out one its part of your kit a mobile phone cant give you instant warnings of hazards like a radio inless you dial anumber plus aradio is at hand to everyone on the boat even my passengers can use it but we always take aphone aswell dont know about the lakes though

G. Arruda

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the input! I guess I'll see how things go the season, last year was my 1st, got the boat late summer. I guess I'll see what people are doing up here in NH.<br />Thanks lots for the responses

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

I'd check that out with the coastguard if I were you Johnny-I'm not certain but as far as I'm aware you still need a licence for VHF-and the test now includes the use of the new DSC technology too. The fines were pretty heavy for being caught without a licence as well and your boat needs a callsign for you to be able to use the VHF. (saying that, if you don't use it EVER except in major emergency to call the lifeboat no-one's ever going to know unless it saves your life...)

gatorboaterUF

Seaman

so they would say hey its a good thing you had this it saved you life now heres your fine! thats kinda messed up

QC

Supreme Mariner

As to your original question, we use FRS for idle chat between boats in our little group. We also give friends that may meet us at the lake the channel and code so that we can easily hook up at a dock or something. We use them as we caravan trailering too.<br /><br />VHF for emergencies and communicating over larger distances.

toolinarnd

Recruit

What plug there are alot of us on lake Winni. that use vhf radios. N.H. marine patrol moniters chanel 16 along with seatow. and it can be very helpful there is someone that broadcast wether adviceries for severe storm warnings.<br /> shawn

KRS

Banned

A handheld can fall overboard, have dead batteries, or be left at home. A mounted unit will always be there, has more reach, and can operate on "dead" batteries (unable to start your engine) for hours. Get a mobile mounted unit. And for backup, become a ham radio operator and mount one of those too. The "No-Code" technician class does not require morse code and is a relatively easy test if you study the material.

G. Arruda

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks for the good info gang. LOB, do you find yourself using the radio much, or is it mostly for peace of mind?<br />gary

cuzner

Just took the power squadron course for vhf radio. A licence is still required to use one. Been some confusion, because you also needed a radio station licence til recently (thats no longer required for pleasure craft). A frs radio is almost useless for safety, short range, and different freq. not monitered for safety.A mounted VHF is the best route. Put one in for peace of mind, and when you have take the course.<br /><br /> Jim

tommays

Admiral

the VHF works good on lake george NY you get all the weather alerts ( lot of wicked fast moveing thunder storms there)<br /><br />and seem to be able reach marine patrols and towing<br /><br />tommays

mattttt25

Commander

to clear it up again, you don't need a license. check out the link that telman posted. maybe in the uk or canada the rules are different.

cuzner

Hey Mattt, you are right,operaters lic. only needed under certain circumstance for U.S. boaters. Sorry for the wrong info.I boat in both Canadian and U.S. waters and was told I needed a lic. For both sides of the border, I assumed that meant U.S. citizen needed one also. Not true, unless you come into Canadian waters.<br /><br /> Jim