Long Trip Help.. Tampa or Fl Keys ---> Cancun

truenilbog

Recruit
I'm planning a trip, but I've never done one this length. We'll be leaving from either Tampa or maybe to the Keys for a day or two, then on to Cancun. I'm wondering if anyone here has done this trip and if so I'd like to know some info. I haven't totally planned the trip out yet, I just wanted some ideas beforehand. Thanks..

Norm Malcosky

Seaman
Re: Long Trip Help.. Tampa or Fl Keys ---> Cancun

Unless you are going to stop in Cuba, the leg from Key West to Cancun is about 420 statute miles. Assuming you can make 20 mph, you are looking at a run time in excess of 20 hours. Are you certain your boat and crew are up to the test? <br /><br />Or perhaps you are a blowboater and can make the passage a week's adventure - assuming you can weather any changes in sea conditions. For three seasons I was on a 120' petroleum survey boat in the GOM and you never know what may develop (one day a mill pond - the next 8'-10' waves that force you to only hangon & maintain station.)<br /><br />Sounds like fun - hope you can do it. Enjoy the Gulf, we always did and, by the way, fishing is great around the oil platforms if you get that far north. I'm a Lake Erie boater now - fewer huricanes and tropical depressions to deal with. <br /><br />Smooth sailing,<br />Norm . . . :)