honeymoon in the keys

muzzy

Cadet
hi all i was wondering if anyone can help me out im getting married tomorrow and will be in marathon by monday night i have gotten the ok by the mrs.to do some fishing and would like to make my time on the water count the place we are staying offers free motor boats so i would like to take advatage .... i already have a offshore charter booked .. but would like to do some reef fishing i have never fished the keys before can any one point me in the right direction ;) ....locatoin ..bait .. tackle to bring or any tips would help thanks ..

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: honeymoon in the keys

Congradulations on your Big Day, Muzzy...<br /><br />As for reef fishing in the Keys, I can't offer any definate spots, but there's plenty of hard bottom structure around for anyone who's willing to look a little...<br /><br />As for tackle, medium weight 12-15 Lbs. spinning (my choice) or casting tackle will do nicely for most reef fishing... For the terminal end, I would fish a 2-4 oz. egg sinker above a barrel swivel with 24-36 inches of 40 to 60 Lbs mono or flurocarbon leader tied to a 2-3/O extra short shank or circle hook baited with your choice of cut or live bait.. Size your sinker according to the conditions... Use enough weight to keep firm contact with the bottom but not too much...<br /><br />Smaller 3-4" live bait would be best as it does'nt get attacked by the small bottom dwellers as much as cut bait, but if cut bait is all thats avaliable it'll do just fine as long as it's fairly fresh... Squid, Greenies, finger mullet, cigar minnows, anything will work.... Cut Ballyhoo although a bit expensive, is like candy to mutton and mangrove snapper... <br /><br />Check out this link for more fishing info...<br /> http://floridasportsman.zeroforum.com/ <br /><br />Get some sun and have some fun... :D Enjoy...

muzzy

Cadet
Re: honeymoon in the keys

thanks snapper appreciate the help im also going to ask some advice from the local bait and tackle shops im sure they can at least point me in the right direction after all they need to sell bait and such ... well ill let u know how i made out when i get back ... :)