Tipping Guides?

ajyanka

Seaman Apprentice
The big day is near, I'm getting married in 9 days! I've hired a fishing guide to take the soon to be Mrs. and I fly fishing in coastal GA during the honeymoon. I've never hired a guide before and I was wondering if anyone could fill me in on proper etiquette. Do you usually tip guides? How much? Any thing else I should be aware of!<br /><br />Thanks!<br /><br />AJY

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Tipping Guides?

ajy,<br /><br />Secret rule: Make sure this is a success for the mrs. <br /><br />Even if you suffer, make sure she likes it.<br /><br />Your success depends on her success (and not only in this respect!!) so make sure you get a good base for your future outings...<br /><br />And, BTW, CoNgRaTs :D :D

ajyanka

Seaman Apprentice

UU<br /><br />Thanks for the advice! I've been teaching her to fly cast with marginal sucess, (she's left handed, I'm right. I'm not very good at casting with my left hand to show her!) so I've asked the guide to have conventional tackle available in case! I've chosen a guide who is open to newbies and also offers instruction. Hopefully it will be great.<br /><br />We have each passed our respective boating/fishing tests! She is the greatest helper when it comes to launching the boat and I've never lost my temper at the ramp! (With her as my First Mate I never will!)<br /><br />Honestly, If I never even wet a line it will be a sucessful outing if she has fun!<br /><br />AJY ;)

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

Way to go!! Guess you're gonna have a GREAT honeymoon. Your attitude is THE BEST for it...<br /><br />If your wife is any bit like mine, she'll love you for it ;) <br /><br />After 22 years of marriage (being boaters all the way) and watching friends ove rthe years, I can tell that a boat in a marriage either splits or unifies. I always enjoy sailing with my wife and we're beyond the point of ramp 'situations'. Every boat trip is a good experience - and the only precaution is, that we take the boat out when the weather provides for a comfortable ride.

kev_alaska

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tipping a professsional guide is a matter of choice. If he makes the event enjoyable for you (no matter how many fish you land) and your new wife is made comfortable with her skill level, it will be worth quite a lot. <br /><br />One day charters here run about $200.00 per person and a good guide will get a tip from everyone on the boat. Generally speaking, we give 10% for a good day on the boat. Maybe more if it was an outstanding day, or you learn something that you can use later....<br /><br />Kev_alaska

495v

Chief Petty Officer

I've always found it proper to tip almost anyone in that type of service sector. The last guide I went with cost $350 for 3 people for 4 hours. We had a good time and caught some fish. We tipped him about $60 if I recall. After that he was willing to take us on a night expedition, for 4 hours for $100. That was even better. BTW, my wife caught the biggest fish on each outing. The guide was great, He fixed and baited my wife's line the whole time allowing me to fish. He threw a line once when we ran into some jacks. He hooked one and immediatly handed off this rod with an 50lb plus fish to my wife. I was shocked and thought that was very kind of him. Unfortunatly she didn't land it, but it was a great time.

Quiller

Cadet

Funny thing, tipping. I always tip the guide if I had even a moderate time. As long as they're not rude, or looking at his watch all the time, or such, they'll get a tip... 10-20%, depends. BUT, I've had em look at me like I'm crazy when I hand em cash. Even had one guide refuse my 100.00 tip! This tells me that not everyone tips. Other thing I've noticed, is once ya tip em, they never forget you, and scheduling another trip always has more available dates ;)

ajyanka

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Everyone for the great advice.<br /><br />Based on my experience so far over email and phone I'm guessing a generous tip is an order. He has been a great help in choosing a place to stay and has very kind words for my fiance and I!<br /><br />We go next week so I'll let you know how it goes!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I tip my guides according to how good a day my companion has.<br /><br />If my Son gets a 40+" musky, $100. If my Grandson lands any size musky, $200.<br /><br />I get FIRST class service!