Eastern Intercoastal waterway

Siemers_d

Cadet
I was just wondering if anyone on here has traveled the eastern intercoastal waterway (perferrably from South Carolina to Virginia? What kind of boat you used (power or sail), how long it took and so on? Also is there a best time of year to travel? Any and all comments will be greatly appreciated. <br /><br />Thanks,<br /> Dave

Capt. Bob

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Eastern Intercoastal waterway

Hi Dave,<br />I traveled the ICW from Barrington, RI to Savannah, Ga in September of 2000 to bring my newly bought boat home. I was in my 56' Chris Craft Roamer with twin diesels and it took about 16 travel days. If you want some details, I can email you a copy of a log I have. My email is Twin_Screws@bellsouth.net<br /><br />Not hard to figure how much time it would take to travel from one point to the next because the ICW has mile markers. There are several publications detailing anchorages, marinas, services, fuel stops and sites to see as well as navigational hazzards to look out for. Check those out at the local marine stores or on the net.<br />Let me know if you have specific questions.

Siemers_d

Cadet

Howdy Capt. Bob,<br /> I would love any information you have. I will be leaving from Charleston,SC and ending up in Va. I'm not exactly sure where yet as my dad is moving. That is a very nice boat you have there, let me know when your open for breakfast, it sounds great........will that be a buffet?....just kidding. Thanks,dave

longjess

Cadet

Theres an excellent book by Claiborne Young called "Cruising Guide to Coastal North Carolina". You can find it on Amazon.com. It is very detailed.

jeff_nicholas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There's no place I'd rather be than on the ICW. <br /><br />I did the entire ICW several times (5+) while living aboard a 27' sailboat. Since then I've covered every bit of it again in hops aboard small outboard cuddies: 16' w/ Honda 50, and 18 1/2' w/ 115 Ficht.<br /><br />We figured up to 50 miles/day with the sailboat. With the outboard I've done over 200 miles in a day. But the idea is not how quick you can do it, it's how long you can take. The ICW is a wonderous place if you're not in a hurry.<br /><br />The best time of year is Fall or Spring (or Summer or Winter). <br /><br />Do the Dismal Swamp if it's open...<br /><br />My home saltwater port is Charleston SC. When are you going, maybe I'd buddy boat up with you for a spell.

Siemers_d

Cadet

Howdy or sould that be ahoy now....;o)<br /> Thanks for all the input. This is a great site. Not sure exactly when I'm gonna attempt this feat. I guess the first thing I need to get is a boat......I plan on leaving from Charleston and finishing in Va., where my dad lives now, but for the first trip we may plan to meet somewhere in the middle. I just don't want to end up somewhere like the panama canal.....;o) Is that a short cut by the, my wife just loves it when I find my short cuts. And the point is to see as much as you can and make memory's as you go right!<br /><br />Thanks again,<br /> dave