Going to Lake Murray.

Fishbusters

Ensign
Next month we have been invited to join some friends camping a weekend at Dreher Island state park on lake Murray. I have never been there or fished/boated it. I wanted to know what should I expect in the area around the park. I plan on taking the toon and fishing some although I think the reason we were invited is the big boat. Some of these folks fish but not like me most like to boat as long as it is someone elses boat. Any and all help would be appreciated. <br />BTW we may be in the primitive group camping area and I also want to know if anyone knows if you can pull your boat up close to where you camp there like a full fledge pay site.

MIKE F

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Going to Lake Murray.

I've camped there a couple of times. Very nice state park. It's maybe 3-4 miles to the nearest town. I was there in the summer each time and couldn't believe how hot it got(and I'm from S. Fla.) I don't remember if the primitive camping area has access to the shore. I do remember seeing many snakes in the water (one coiled up in my engine bracket/mount). Don't know what kind they were though.

Fishbusters

Ensign

Thanks Mike. I was not concerned about being close to the water I never leave my boat out overnight unless camped on the water anyway and for the most part if I can't see it I don't leave it. My real question is can I park the rig in the camping area or do I have to rent a site to be able to do that. I have never had anything stolen while camping at a state park but I feel that is because I usually am sleeping about 5' from the boat and gear.

MIKE F

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just thought, I'd dig up, this old thread. One of my kids asked me today, what type of snakes, were in the water, at Dreher Island State Park?<br />Anybody out there know?

Fishbusters

Ensign

Not being an expert I can't call all the names but a number of water snakes would call the area home including Water Moccasins but most likely you had a brown water snake. You will find almost any snake species that inhabit SC in that neck of the woods so it could have been almost anything but I would bet money on the Brown Water Snake.

jeff_nicholas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Was at Murray yesterday. Splashed at Murray Marina. Perfect day on the water. My crew got hungry so we ate at the restaurant next to the Marina. Decent food, decent prices.<br /><br />The ramp at Murrray Marina is still very workable despite the lake level being down, but we were disappointed to not be able to find any weed free water that was shallow enough we could walk to shore. Those plants sure like to foul a prop. We ended up swimming out in the middle of the lake.<br /><br />Does anyone know of a weedfree 'swimming beach'at Murray where we can get close enough to walk ashore.