Boat shows and saltwater anglers show

M_A_GT160

Cadet
Just wondering what’s to come this fall with the pandemic in full swing will we get some type of online show.

tpenfield

Staff member
I was thinking (and hoping) the same sort of thing. I would imagine that the boat shows could have a way to operate with everyone wearing masks, limiting the number of people on the boats, sanitizer all over the place, etc.

For me, you can see pictures and videos of most/many boats online via their respective websites, but to see them in person is really important to get a first hand understanding of the space and features of various boats.

southkogs

Staff member
I'm in the trade show / event industry. Right now, the first live shows we might see in the US is in August. There have been a couple of live shows in China, but not too many. I don't have a complete list of scheduled shows (I'm probably missing most regional or local shows), but some of the bigger boat shows are still currently slated for October or later.

My vibe is that a lot of the larger events, or the ones without good backing financially, are probably going to cancel or go virtual through the end of this year. That's not written in stone, but it seems to be the vibe. Once we get one or two attended here in the US, that'll help see what's happening through the fall.

I'm attending my first virtual trade show later today. And then I've got a virtual conference in a week or so. So far, the consensus is that the virtual shows fall pretty flat comparatively. We all (in the biz) think the shows will be back - trade shows of a kind have been around since the mid 1800s - we're just not sure how they'll look moving forward.

M_A_GT160

Cadet
Thanks, and Ted I’m a fellow New Englander, I’m originally from the south shore but live in Central Ma now.

tpenfield

Staff member
Thanks, and Ted I’m a fellow New Englander, I’m originally from the south shore but live in Central Ma now.

Hoping the NE Boat show can happen as it normally does over the winter (usually in February). Otherwise, I'm just going to have to go to FL for some of the boat shows there :D

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I'm in the trade show / event industry. Right now, the first live shows we might see in the US is in August. There have been a couple of live shows in China, but not too many. I don't have a complete list of scheduled shows (I'm probably missing most regional or local shows), but some of the bigger boat shows are still currently slated for October or later.

My vibe is that a lot of the larger events, or the ones without good backing financially, are probably going to cancel or go virtual through the end of this year. That's not written in stone, but it seems to be the vibe. Once we get one or two attended here in the US, that'll help see what's happening through the fall.

I'm attending my first virtual trade show later today. And then I've got a virtual conference in a week or so. So far, the consensus is that the virtual shows fall pretty flat comparatively. We all (in the biz) think the shows will be back - trade shows of a kind have been around since the mid 1800s - we're just not sure how they'll look moving forward.

I attend shows all around North America, the industry is devastated. I have a good friend that works for Freeman out of Las Vegas he has never been out of work in his life, he is now. I am not willing to pay to exhibit at a show until 2021.

southkogs

Staff member
I attend shows all around North America, the industry is devastated. I have a good friend that works for Freeman out of Las Vegas he has never been out of work in his life, he is now.
Yeah. The dollar figures I've heard are pretty staggering considering the niche the trade show industry exists in. I'm in the design side of the biz, but fortunate to be a key player in a smaller organization. I've been affected, but no where close to many others. My boss has also done an outstanding job insulating us for times like this.

I am not willing to pay to exhibit at a show until 2021.
LOL ... yup. That's the current state of affairs. Show-ers don't want to pay to not be able to show, and Go-ers don't wanna' pay to not be able to go :)

We had two shows earlier this year that shut down on the last day of setup. Our crews pretty much put the exhibit up, and then turned around and took it right back down again.

On the plus side: two of my marine industry clients are looking closely at getting back to shows, and they are taking the time to build a better show experience. A fellow member of the forums just helped me out getting some industry images and show information so I can start working on some designs. So, there is anticipation of getting back at it.

briangcc

Commander
For NY, the boat/sportsman/rv/auto shows are typically in the winter - usually December on. I hope I'm wrong but I'd wager they're either cancelled or going to have to go virtual this coming year.

And I agree...IF I was in the market for a boat, I'd want a hands on experience to see/feel the differences as a photo/video can only do so much.

Other events are getting cremated as well - all local car shows/cruises/swap meets are cancelled. All train shows, yes I'm one of those that collects Lionel amongst other items, have been cancelled. Food Festivals cancelled - I'm still not 100% sure how they're running the Buffalo Wing Fest virtually as how the heck are you tasting VIRTUAL WINGS?!?!?!? And the list just goes on and on.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I don't know what in all heck is going on. All I know is all bets are off. 80,000 seat Super Speedway NASCAR race tracks all empty as a race goes on. Final round of a PGA event and a player gets a hole in one and there are a dozen people there to clap, he turns and tips his hat to no one. Talk of The MLB Toronto Blue Jays playing all their games an hour and a half away across the border in Buffalo N.Y. in an empty AAA ball park with zero fans in the stands. 80,000 seat NFL stadiums empty while a football game is played. If things go to plan it will be the 1st time in history all major professional sports will be playing in one form or another all at the same time.

I am going to go out on a limb and say there will not be any shows, large or small, boat shows or any shows of any kind open to the public, boat, car, electronic, the list is long. If someone has a half million bucks in their jeans boat manufacturers are going to give them a private show lunch and a mask. But it is much more convenient to have all the possible boats all under 1 roof to compare. Same goes for cars, trucks and pretty much every other consumer product. I don't know about others but I pretty well know what I want going into any consumer show and very seldom has my mind changed because I saw the boat, car, truck, electronics and, and, and up close and personal.

southkogs

Staff member
The local and consumer shows aren't really what drive the industry. I suppose the Consumer Electronics Show, some of the larger auto shows and a couple of others might be exceptions to that, but overall it's the industry shows (business to business) that make the event space go. The value of that consolidated meeting is pretty incredible. You can collect a lot of leads in one show (one of our clients draws nearly 80% of their leads from trade shows), and you can evaluate quite a few vendors in a just a few days.

southkogs

Staff member
Just attended my first virtual show this week ... BLAH.

It seemed to me to be a mostly fancy of funneling you to vendor's websites.