Cross Lake/ Seneca river boating ( NY )

matt167

Captain
I figured out that the lake I was looking for is not actually on the Canal system, but is Cross lake on the Seneca River.

I have an idea to launch out of Deans cove in Cayuga lake, and run up the lake to the seneca river, and go through the 2 locks there, and then onward to Cross lake and other nature things.. But how 'boatable' is the Seneca river? I would have to make this long trip with my '71 Starcraft Offshore 18

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer
I've never boated there but judging by Google satellite I think it would be a lot like the Tennessee river which is very boatable, on the Tennessee near Knoxville you have to watch out for debris coming down the river and stay in the channel , it wouldn't hurt to call a local bait shop or marina , they could tell you of any known hazards

matt167

Captain
I just did some research and it appears that the Seneca river is the Cayuga/ Seneca canal, so it should be very boatable

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer
After looking at it on Google, its definitely on my bucket list , thanks for the post

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I boat out of union springs ny I think most of Seneca river is no wake zone , plenty navigable but slow

deans cove is a great part of the lake, there’s a couple other boat launches north of thereafter you want something closer to the canal.

Last edited:

matt167

Captain
I boat out of union springs ny I think most of Seneca river is no wake zone , plenty navigable but slow

deans cove is a great part of the lake, there’s a couple other boat launches north of thereafter you want something closer to the canal.

Yeah for sure it's a no wake zone.. Deans Cove being near the south end of the lake is a stretch up to the canal, but my dad lives in Ovid and he could tow my truck/ trailer back to his house since I would be on the water for a few days. Cayuga is only 38 miles long, would be a 40 min run or so I think from the Cove I think

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
If I’m following your intended route correctly, there is only one lock— at the top of Cayuga Lake—on the route from Dean Cove on Cayuga Lake to Cross Lake. After transiting the lock, you will cruise six miles on the Cayuga-Seneca Canal to Canal Junction where you will turn right (east) and follow the Erie Canal to Cross Lake.

The Erie Canal connects and uses many different natural waterways, of which the Seneca River and Cross Lake are two, on its 363 miles from Albany to Tonawanda, New York near Buffalo. After the lock at the top of Cayuga Lake, most of what you will be cruising on is technically the Seneca River, but it’s highly cut and channelized to a uniform width and depth and better recognized as the two canals mentioned above.

The canal sections on which you will be traveling have a 30mph speed limit. The Erie Canal to the west of Canal Junction has a 10mph speed limit once you pass Lock E26. You will not be on that section of the Erie Canal on your planned cruise. I mention it only as a heads up should you later decide to travel that way.

matt167

Captain
Thanks for the info... Not sure I'll run planing speed through the river, but nice to know I can... If my little Chugger cabin cruiser boat is finished in time, I will take that. I'm building it as a canal boat and it will not plane. But I want to make this trip this summer so it might have to be with the Starcraft.. If I use the Chugger, I'll have to launch on the northern end of the lake

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
go up to Long Pt State Park on the east side of Cayuga, it's farther north than Deans Cove.... i too am thinking about running the canal this summer into Senaca Lake

matt167

Captain
Long point, that is the other one I was thinking of.. Lodi point was in my head, but I knew that was Seneca.. My dad actually lives down the road from Sampson, I could launch into Seneca, I know both lakes. Just not sure I want to add that far of river travel, especially if there are more locks in between