Quick decision: MA slip in Westport or Bourne?

rothfm

Ensign
Hi all,

need to make a quick decision.

long time trailer boater...think I need to explore life now from a slip!

MA is tuff to find availability, and/afforability!!

That said, have two confirmed reasonable (relative) slips for my 26 Tiara Persuit.

One in Westport which is one of my favorite places.....and one in Buttermilk Bay base of Buzzards Bay, under the bridge behind the Mass Maritime Academy.

anyone mind weighing in, if they have spend alot of time in both areas, Especially the Maritime/Canal area, which I havent.

gotta make a decision, I believe tomorrow, else they will be gone unfortunately.

Im partial to Westport due to open water access, fishing and ability to go to Elizabeth Islands, Vinyard, Nomansland, or west to Newport, Jamestown.

I mostly fish, occasional guests for beach/boating general stuff, mainly solo fishing.

appreciated

rothfm

Ensign
Anyone Slip or spend time in the MA Cape Cod canal/lower Buzzards bay area?

Thanks

tpenfield

Staff member
Me, me . . .

I'm on Buzzards Bay (W. Fal . . . mooring). You planning on day trips? or would you rent a place near where your boat is slipped for weekends, vacation, etc.?

The bay gets choppy in the afternoons . . . more so as you go towards the canal opening (Bourne). There is a low bridge that goes across Buttermilk, if that is where you are planning, so make sure the boat has a low enough bridge clearance.

I only venture over to the other side of the bay (Westport) occasionally.

From Bourne or Westport, you will have decent access to the island chain or the Vineyard.

We hand out at Bassett Island most days.

Anything in particular that you would like to know?

rothfm

Ensign
Thanks Tpen appreciated.

good point about that low bridge...i had trailered out of Westport and am partial to that area.

Onway now to see both.

wondering about general boating in that upper Buzzards area, the fishing? The Boat traffic? Possibly car traffic off 495 on weekend getting there.

Seems like it would be a haul to attempt Elizabeths from there. I ofter cross from Westport to Cuttyhunk/vinyard, seems closer.

day trips, some overnights, hanging at the dock.

was just seeing if anyone could pursade me to slip in Bourne (buttermilk bay), vs Westport.

the dock im looking at is not as nice as some..uses poles up front, back in and tie to dock.

but short triip out and I have Sakonnett Point, Newport, cuttyhunk, NomansLand and alot up outter Buzzards. And if its rough outside, theres the inside rivers and sandbars to enjoy.

gee, almost sounds like I made my decision.

will post in few hours after I visit each.

thanks

rothfm

Ensign
Made the decision....Tped, right you are!

The Buttermilk bay rail bridge is low. I got there at max high tide by change, My hardtop with radar would never clear. The marine owners father said it would take about 20mins either side of High to clear probably.
While the area and slips were decent, I couldnt help feel "pigion-holed" into that immediate area.

Proceeded on to visit a marina in Westport, and got giddy crossing the Rt88 Bridge. That area is so nice. Met the Marina rep and spent alot of time looking around. Since I'm so familiar with the area, Decided to go for it. Deposit down.

Thought I'd be trailering forever, but i'm excited for a new change in my boating life. Wesport offers alot inside the River and out of the Inlet.

tpenfield

Staff member
Great . . .

Boat traffic is not a big deal. Car traffic on 495 to the Bourne bridge backs up for miles (and miles) on Saturdays as that is when the weekly rental change-over happens.