Thousand Islands trip in July 2019 -- Looking for local advice

wellcraft-classic210

Master Chief Petty Officer
Hi
We are pondering towing are 26 " cruiser over to the Alexandria bay area and renting a transient dock with power for 5 or 6 days in late July this year 2019.

Any advice would be appreciated on

1-Places to Launch, dock & eat ( or to avoid )
2-Things to do after we tour bolt castle
3-How about that water level -- Yikes.:eek:
4-My GPS map covers us only -- Any affordable phone aps for Canadin side?
5-What happens if you wander over that border ?:sleeping:
6-Other ???

Thanks!!!!

tramsdell

Banned
1, eat in clayton at Bella's. Theres many good places in and around clayton and a free public dock in town. The marina has a boat launch but idk about prices or anythin
2, tour the boat museum in Clayton, also singer castle, as well as many islands and parks along the river
3, by july you might be ok
4, i use an app called "navionics" or some such
5, touchy subject im no attorney
6, a-bay as a town is a stink hole. Avoid ogdensburg and massena too if you wander that far

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... I too, frequent Clayton, 'n avoid the Bay,......

The village/ town boat launch is right at the end of the street in front of the museum,.... Cheap launchin', 'n dockin',.....

The marina next to the launch, French Bay, is home turf for me, owned by the boss's brother, 'n a best friend,....

Water is stupid high, 'n still goin' up,.... supposed to crest in a week or two,....
Should be down to reasonable by the end of July though,.....

briangcc

Commander
Watch yourself is my best advice. 1000' from shore, no wake due to record water levels and probably not going to be pulled anytime soon as they're bracing for water levels to continue to rise. Lots of rain in the forecast upstream.

Personally, I prefer Abay over Clayton. Abay is more built up for touristy stuff. I find Clayton meh. But to each their own. **I do like River Rat Cheese in Clayton though. Something to check out.

After Boldt, head up to Singer Castle via the channel. Unlike Boldt, Singer is finished and provides guided tours.

You could also do a lighthouse tour. Plenty of them heading up/down the channel.

Or head into Lake of the Isles.

From what I've heard, as long as you don't anchor or fish in Canadian waters you don't have to report. That's the rumor and depends on how porky the OPP are at that time of the year. I've run into some really nice ones and some not so nice.

Regardless either side can stop you for a safety inspection so make sure you are up to speed on all the required gear.

IF you're into that sort of things...1000 Islands Winery near the 1000 Islands bridge (off rt 12 just after Price Chopper), Clayton Distillery (further down rt12 past Thousand Islands Bait shop) - also has miniature golf, Gals Ice Cream (off rt 12 between TI Bait and the Distillery).

Abay also has go carts, miniature golf, golf, etc.

kpg7121

Petty Officer 2nd Class
For a novice, charts & gps are a must. Wander out of the channel you can get lost in no time. Be careful of rock shoals out of the main channel & a spare prop in good shape is a must have. Not all of them are marked. I prefer Clayton over Abay & the fishing is great, although the goby's are a nuisance. Toss em on shore for the crows! A buddy of mine use to slip his boat at French's in Clayton, highly recommended as it's a full service marina. Dont get caught fishing in Canadian waters without a license or you'll regret it. For me the 1,000 Islands are a piece of heaven. You'll love it but be careful out there as the river can kick up some chop on a windy day. Enjoy!

Bondo

Staff member
Watch yourself is my best advice. 1000' from shore, no wake due to record water levels and probably not going to be pulled anytime soon as they're bracing for water levels to continue to rise. Lots of rain in the forecast upstream.

Personally, I prefer Abay over Clayton. Abay is more built up for touristy stuff. I find Clayton meh. But to each their own. **I do like River Rat Cheese in Clayton though. Something to check out.

After Boldt, head up to Singer Castle via the channel. Unlike Boldt, Singer is finished and provides guided tours.

You could also do a lighthouse tour. Plenty of them heading up/down the channel.

Or head into Lake of the Isles.

From what I've heard, as long as you don't anchor or fish in Canadian waters you don't have to report. That's the rumor and depends on how porky the OPP are at that time of the year. I've run into some really nice ones and some not so nice.

Regardless either side can stop you for a safety inspection so make sure you are up to speed on all the required gear.

IF you're into that sort of things...1000 Islands Winery near the 1000 Islands bridge (off rt 12 just after Price Chopper), Clayton Distillery (further down rt12 past Thousand Islands Bait shop) - also has miniature golf, Gals Ice Cream (off rt 12 between TI Bait and the Distillery).

Abay also has go carts, miniature golf, golf, etc.

Ayuh,.... I Agree,.... Abay is 1 big tourist trap, reminds me of Bar Harbor Maine back in the 70s, 'n is probably still the same today,....
Clayton is more locals, 'n Islanders,....

Just alittle, "Who Cares",..... I paved the TI bait store 25 years ago, 'n the TI winery maybe 5 or 8 years ago,..... ;)

briangcc

Commander
Cool Bondo!

There's actually been a boom in the number of Wineries and Distilleries popping up in the area. Seems that they may have figured out how to get the grape vines to survive the harsh weather up there. They also import a lot of grapes/juice from what I've heard from 1000 Islands Winery.

Dark Island Spirits in Abay supposedly has a bunch of local wines & spirits under one roof for tasting/purchase.

Depending on how much you like humanity, going into Abay during Pirates Festival could be a blast or down right obnoxious experience. Been there, done that, not my cup of tea.

I generally avoid either Clayton or Abay during the weekend and save those trips for during the week where the sea of humanity has diminished....dramatically!

But Gals is a fixture for all my family trips. I think they're hosting a local car cruise, not sure what night - check with them and bring a large appetite as you get your $$ worth in ice cream!

**My uncle used to have a camp outside Kring Point State Park and I spent alot of time up on the river in that area.

Bondo

Staff member
Cool Bondo!

There's actually been a boom in the number of Wineries and Distilleries popping up in the area.

Ayuh,...... The boss's brother I mentioned above is a silent partner in French Bay marina has built a winery on Grindstone Island,....
Ain't been over, 'n donno whether it's open to the public, or not,....

The guy is richer than God,.....

He owns the area right next to the town dock/ launch, with all the covered floatin' slips,....
The blacktopped area in the parkin' lot, south corner next to the water, is his personal helipad,.....

tramsdell

Banned
You could check in with the clayton yacht club ... haha i accidentaly'd down in there once in my car towing a jon boat . By the time i realized i was lost and got turned back it was abundantly clear that I was not welcome on that dead end road :laugh:

wellcraft-classic210

Tramsdell
Are you saying that the Yacht Club would not welcome a "bottom feeder" like myself.

Well that's ok-- I can change my own prop and make a sandwich without needing servants.

Everyone's advice is appreciated !!!

We sent a note to French Bay Marina & are awaiting a reply for docking.

Any suggestion if we decide to wander north of the border on towns & restaurants ????

briangcc

Commander
Sorry. Haven't been North of the border in a LONG time. You need either an enhanced drivers license, sometimes referred to as REAL ID, OR a passport to cross back/forth.

tramsdell

Banned
Tramsdell
Are you saying that the Yacht Club would not welcome a "bottom feeder" like myself.

Well that's ok-- I can change my own prop and make a sandwich without needing servants.

Everyone's advice is appreciated !!!

We sent a note to French Bay Marina & are awaiting a reply for docking.

Any suggestion if we decide to wander north of the border on towns & restaurants ????
Hmm im not sure but the locals are usually good guides just litterally ask somone when you get there, esp the border agents.

wellcraft-classic210

Good advice !

French Bay Marina wont take advance reservations -- only 1st come first serve -- So well see how it goes but still hoping to get in.

wellcraft-classic210

We noticed the town of Clayton has a public dock that takes reservations in advance & offer hookups

Looks like we may try it / Assuming they are suitable // Anyone familiar with these docks ?