Looking for recommendations in SE Wisconsin

kaulbr

Seaman
I live in Muskego (~15 miles SW of Milwaukee). Last summer we bought our first boat — a 19-footer. I have a wife and 2 young daughters (6 and 3). For the most part, we really just like sandbars and dropping anchor. Last summer we pretty much only went on Wind Lake. 10-minutes from our house, low traffic, crystal clear water and a massive sandbar where they could just walk in 1.5' of water. They love it but it's a VERY shallow lake and I've already dinged up the prop a couple times. Looking to see what lakes others might recommend given my situation. Looking for something relatively close to where we live. I've heard the water quality is terrible on Pewaukee Lake and there's a lot of traffic. I love Geneva Lake but it has to be a pretty calm day to enjoy that lake on a 19-footer. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

kpg7121

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We took a trip to OshKosh a few years ago to visit my wife's son & Lake Winnebago looked really inviting. We didn't have a boat but wish we did. Might be a good weekend trip for the family as its about 90 miles north of you.

kaulbr

Seaman
Thanks, I've heard good things a few times now about Lake Winnebago but don't know anything about it. Will definitely have to do some more research on that one.

kpg7121

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's pretty shallow with a max depth of about 25 ft. from what I've read.

kaulbr

Seaman
It's pretty shallow with a max depth of about 25 ft. from what I've read.

Oh really? I didn't realize that. This will be our first summer where we don't have a kid that needs a nap so we'll definitely be able to venture farther than we did last summer. Will definitely have to give it a visit.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Yes, Lake Winnebago is shallow for such a large lake. And there are a number of shoal areas. A large seaplane visiting the lake for the big EAA airshow a few years ago hit one of the shoals on landing and did significant damage to the hull.

Since you’re not familiar with that lake, I would certainly recommend having a chart and trying to gain some local knowledge from boaters that are familiar with it. It’s a big piece of water.