Boating Buddies

Status
Not open for further replies.

614 bear rock

Recruit
Hello folks - new to this group. Here's our situation - we are looking for some new boating buddies. Our previous partners have either moved out of the area, no longer active in power boating, etc. The younger guys at work have small kids and the responsibilities that go with them, and can't join us on the water. We have a nice 18 foot bow rider with toys at Lake Wallenpaupack in Pa. and a pretty good amount of time for weekend boating. So, my question is, any suggestions where to even start looking for boating buddies? There are probably a ton of people out there interested in being on the water but don't have a rig for one reason or another.

aspeck

Staff member
Welcome to the forum!

It is never hard to get people ride along, but to train them to not be a taker is a different story!

I have never had a problem finding people ... church, social clubs, organizations you belong... shucks, I would join you if I was closer ... we boat out of Raystown ... have never had the boat to Wallenpaupauk, but have wanted to go sometime (but time is always the issue when you are only 6 miles from your home ramp).

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Hope you have better luck than I.

i’ve taken a number of neighbors over the years. most end up sea sick or having panic attacks and never want to go again.

I then joined a local fishing club. We have a “buddy list” of people without boats looking to hookup to go out. What I’ve found, those with the time and money to get out on a regular basis have their own boats.

Most the people on the buddy list have neither the time or the money. I don’t have a problem covering their share of the expenses, I’m going anyway, but I can’t give them the time

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
We lucked out and have some family friends that were into boating, so when we got ours, we started going out with them. Have also met some great people from just coving out.

superbenk

Commander
Hope you have better luck than I.

i’ve taken a number of neighbors over the years. most end up sea sick or having panic attacks and never want to go again.

I then joined a local fishing club. We have a “buddy list” of people without boats looking to hookup to go out. What I’ve found, those with the time and money to get out on a regular basis have their own boats.

Most the people on the buddy list have neither the time or the money. I don’t have a problem covering their share of the expenses, I’m going anyway, but I can’t give them the time

This has typically been my experience as well. No one seems to have the time or enough interest to make the time. Families are busy with kids involved in various things or people have generally busy schedules with work, etc.

It's even been a challenge finding the time to get my own family out. Life's just busy & not everyone puts boating as high on the priority list as many of us.

Our neighbor used to have a boat like ours & we'd make a point of going out together early on, but even there, schedules caused it to become difficult to impossible to get out together. I really miss that.

I've started to get more comfortable with just taking the boat out alone & enjoy the solitude. I tend to take a picnic lunch/dinner, a book & my laptop then just find a quiet place to anchor. Its fun just watching other boaters go buy & when there aren't any it can be really peaceful. I used to fish a lot as a kid but it just doesn't do it for me today.

Status
Not open for further replies.