Setting up to go tubing

loopner

Recruit
Google is failing me! I am trying to find information which explains how to best set up your boat to go tubing!

We have a "new to us" speedboat and would like to start having some fun. I tried to talk to our local marina dealer but they just didn't want to give us the time of day. :-(

Obviously, I need a tub of some sort. I need towline with "floating line". What else? We have eye hooks on either side of the transom. I assume I need some sort of bridle? and then is that it? Is there anything else? What are the best practices here?

Thanks for your knowledge!!

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
If there's more than one person that will be tubing, buy two identical tubes and two identical tow ropes, trust me on this, thie kids will have so much more fun. Simple tubes that you ride on top of are better than tubes you sit in, IMO. We have two O'Brien Super Screamers that have been remarkably robust and great fun for over a decade. You will need a bridle if you don't have a center tow hook.

tpenfield

Staff member
Water sport style PFD’s for everyone one doing water sports

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
use a bridle from the low mounted transom hooks. transom hooks are bolted to the strongest point of the hull and rated for thousands of pounds of pull

the high mounted ski ring should not be used for towing tubes. that little ring is rated for a few hundred pounds...... as when the tube submarines, it usually pulls the little ring and a good chunk of the hull off the boat. because the ring lets loose well before the tube line breaks