Am I insane and say yes or am I insane and say no to this trip?

rothfm

Ensign
Yep, Definety do it...Providing the equipment is up to par, and you both have the experience. Yes, planning is important but also part of the fun of the whole thing.

I cant speak from experience but my Uncle did a similar trip with his wife. It was his dream. He spend a long time planning, planning and finally did it. They did it slow and spend time along the way. They created a real-time blog, had tons of pics and vids for family and friends.

He loved it, "trip of a lifetime". A year later, my aunt passed of Ovarian cancer. 5 months later my devastated Uncle had a Pancriatitus (sp) attack, and passed within 3 days at 69yrs old.

If this interest you, DO IT!

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
my aunt passed of Ovarian cancer. 5 months later my devastated Uncle had a Pancreatitis attack and passed within 3 days at 69 yrs old.

My mom had a heart attack on vacation at 59. My sister let me know and said they were stabilizing her, and she was doing well, and moving her back to her home hospital. I chose to wait a couple days to let everyone else bother her for the first few days. Bad choice.

“Never leave till tomorrow that which you can do today.” – Benjamin Franklin

Do the trip.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I haven't updated since Dom was waiting for a long awaited survey before the deal closed. The boat failed miserably, too many issues to list. Plus there was a large gap in the paper trail. Back to boat shopping. I am actually in Naples Florida as I type with Dom and our wives. We are slated to see more than a few Marine Brokers this week. I think there are more boats for sale in Florida than the total number of boats 40' feet or larger registered in Canada. I love shopping with someone elses money. His decision if this comes to fruition is to hire a seasoned Cappy for this first trip at least. With our limited experience it's a no brainer to me. If he does hire the right person, I am definitely in.

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
I’m a screw it do it young pup (41) but also probably over confident to a fault but also fake it till ya make guy. But that trip you definitely need the cajones along with the confidence. My concern would be trusting the boat. This maybe bat crap crazy but is there a way up the Mississippi River then up the Illinois river then on to Lake Michigan? Talk about keeping it between the navigational beacons. Being able to see each bank and docking whenever is some what like that ole blankie you’ve had since forever

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well an old friend of mine has a 39’ Chris craft it’s a 79 for sale. When I say old friend I mean he’s 74.

Mod EDIT: PMs only

Last edited by a moderator:

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Wow. Gotta go, gotta go, gotta go. (new theme song)

Don't forget lotsa tequila and margarita makings. Only way to survive waiting at locks.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
His decision if this comes to fruition is to hire a seasoned Cappy for this first trip at least. With our limited experience it's a no brainer to me. If he does hire the right person, I am definitely in.

I know someone who is a licensed captain and has moved several up to the Great Lakes - and has had to deal with old boats not quite up to snuff for the said moves. If interested when the time comes, PM me.

Ken Kitchen

Cadet
Hey, I'm retired with a lot of time on my hands, I'll bring my own pillow !!!
Just do it !!