Traveling with a motor in floor of boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bike4mee

Cadet
Hey
New to the site and motorboat ownership. Would like to travel to Baja this winter. I have a 17' avon inflatable boat w/ 40hp yamaha. It's a rough trip and am worried about the transom being pulled off. I have a transom saver. Still it looks like an easy move to take to motor and lay it down in the boat for the big part of the journey. What is the best way to lay this down? On the side? On end? Thanks

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I'd rather travel with it in the back of whatever you are towing it with. Tuck it in and strap it nice and tight and keep an eye on it. If in the boat you may be constantly wanting to check on it to make sure the prop didn't do something to the bottom of the inflatable. We have had to run some nasty trials strewn with rock out cropping's, I wouldn't call them roads, in Northern Ontario and Quebec for hunting and fishing trips. When we did put them in the tinnies we always took the props off to prevent an accident. Good idea to travel taking the motor off the boat. I've seen some knarly damage to props and bottom ends including loosing them completely from running on trails and backroads. Tough finding parts in the Arctic watershed. Probably similar in the Baja. Have fun Chigwalla.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
have you considered the weight of your motor

if your 40hp motor is a 2-stroke, its either 170# without PTT or 200# with

if your 40hp is a 4-stroke its about 230#

while I agree that I would put it in the back of your truck or your SUV vs the interior of the boat, the transom itself is designed to hold the weight, I personally would keep it mounted on the transom and not drive 90mph on unimproved surfaces.

Bike4mee

Cadet
Thanks! I have a camper on the truck, so the boat is the best storage. There is a wooden floor in the boat. Carbs up is do-able

lncoop

Vice Admiral
What kind of trailer do you have, Bike? Bunk style, platform, or? Is the floor fully supported by the trailer?

robert graham

Admiral
An 8 inch thick slab of foam rubber under the motor will cushion the ride....strap it down snug.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
have you considered the weight of your motor

if your 40hp motor is a 2-stroke, its either 170# without PTT or 200# with

if your 40hp is a 4-stroke its about 230#

while I agree that I would put it in the back of your truck or your SUV vs the interior of the boat, the transom itself is designed to hold the weight, I personally would keep it mounted on the transom and not drive 90mph on unimproved surfaces.

I have to learn something every day Scott, often from you. I have to ask, what is a PTT that weighs 30 pounds. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.