​Eclipse 2017

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Keep seeing ‘once in a lifetime’ event for this. Well, in 1979 I lived in Portland OR and saw a full eclipse so this is kinda cool to be able to do it again at 51 years old. Technically the last coast to coast eclipse was in 1918 so yeah once in a lifetime.

I’m going to run the river up to about Spring City TN the weekend prior and hang out until the eclipse. Anyone else thinking of being on the water Monday for the event? I’m thinking {besides an excuse to boat** that the water will be a better place to be than some crowded land mass.

Waiting to hear back from a buddy if he can run his boat with me. We’ve talked about making the run several years now never had but I’m thinking there ain’t no better excuse that a ‘once in a lifetime’ event to witness.

Thought folks could use this thread to let others know and could meet up across the country.

….so tnstratofam? Anyone else?

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5zcGFjZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzA2MC81NDUvb3JpZ2luYWwvc29sYXItZWNsaXBzZS1wYXRoLmpwZw==

Last edited by a moderator:

southkogs

Staff member
We had been originally thinking about going up to Hopkinsville, KY. But recently decided to stay here in TN for it. Now that you say it, anchored out on Percy Priest may be a REALLY good viewing spot if the weather cooperates.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Even if cloudy A) you are on the boat on a school day and B) the getting dark in the middle of the day and rapidly so is an experience and C) you are on the boat on a school day.

The one in '79 I was 13. Funny how I still remember the feeling of it.

southkogs

Staff member
Y'know it's funny: I know we would have seen at least a partial in the Detroit area in '79. But, I don't remember a lick of it.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Watching it from a boat would be cool, but you won't be able to do any decent photography or even use binoculars. (you can safely look at the chromosphere during totality, but you will really want bino's mounted on a tripod on solid ground.)

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
yeah check the link in my thread i've ordered glasses - hoping one over the lens will work but in reality i remember the one from '79 we didn't look as we didn't have fancy glasses back then just a shadow box but for me back then it was the feeling of the sun going away and it being dark and seeing two shadows and other non-looking-at-the-sun stuff that is impressed upon me so that is what I'm more excited to do. I've got a killer digital camera so shouldn't have to zoom much to get decent pics, therefore camera in hand should suffice. If not - i'll just have another beer and remember the feeling.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
so i'm changing my mind a bit - i think I'll trailer to Watts Bar so don't have to worry about getting stuck behind a barge. Going from Chattanooga I would have to hit two and if it was just a weekend run i'd be OK but I want to be on the water.

I will try and go see a friend from my forum I've not met after about 8 years - he's up one lock on the little tn river. Liveaboard. Plus I will stay Saturday night with my friend who has a cabin on Watts. Worst case he has a boat or can go get my tuck and get me if I'm stuck somewhere.

southkogs

Staff member
I'm trying to figure out the best option for us too. I've got glasses on the way, but the attractive part about being on the water is I can stay out of the main traffic flow on the roads.

FYI - From what I understand, TEMA is going full alert (operational readiness) for that day. The expectation is the population of the area will nearly triple for the couple days around the eclipse. Might be worse than Bonnaroo :)

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I'll spend time checking out the area on Sunday afternoon and stake out my space and overnight on the boat. I'm sure if will be busy but better than having to park along a road/walmart lot/etc.

The marina I called is $90 uncovered transient per night

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Are you in direct path? We are @ 90%+ but want to see the totality a few clicks north. Plus, it is on the boat so....

SK -- saw on NC5 this morning that KY is expecting half million folks.

southkogs

Staff member
SK -- saw on NC5 this morning that KY is expecting half million folks.
Yeah - TEMA's prediction is kinda' jumpy. Low estimate is about 1/4 million here in Nashville, and on the high end we could triple the population for a few days. Where it lands is anyone's guess.

We had been planning a run up to Hopkinsville, but we started to realize what a goat rodeo the roads are gonna' be getting home. Your suggestion of the boat started sounding really good - if we anchor out on Priest in the north end, we should real close to the direct path.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
looks like it will give you just under 2 minutes of totality. Direct path is about 30 seconds more and Center Hill is almost directly under.

remember to not always look up; look around. I may have said it already but the double shadows and the 'feeling' is as cool as seeing the sun. At least that's what I think i remember from '79.

jsparks747

Petty Officer 3rd Class
We are going to be up at our Washington house because Oregon is going to be crazy. Maybe go out on the boat to view the eclipse on the sound and do some fishing at the same time.